Pagad Ultimo

The Cardinals Of The Roman Catholic Church

drawn-cloud-simpsons-7.jpg.0b57958b0019f78e56ea25f90ebcf281.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Get a gurney for Bernie.

Sounds like the Lord has intervened in the Cardinal Pell affair.
A man who publicly accused Cardinal George Pell of sexual abuse has died.

Damian Dignan, from the Australian city of Ballarat, died on Saturday following a long illness.

Cardinal Pell is on a leave of absence as Vatican treasurer to fight police charges in his native Australia. He has strongly and consistently denied any wrongdoing.

Local media reported that Mr Dignan's death could affect court proceedings against the cardinal.

SC

He was the most important/most public religious figure in Germany - well, before Joseph Ratzinger became pope. Somewhat progressive as well, I seem to recall.

Washington Post obit is up, not sure if a UK one comes.

34 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

He was the most important/most public religious figure in Germany - well, before Joseph Ratzinger became pope. Somewhat progressive as well, I seem to recall.

Washington Post obit is up, not sure if a UK one comes.

Apparently he supported liberalising church views on divorce back in the 90s, which makes him equivalent to the Corbyn wing of the Vatican. :lol:

100px-Coat_of_arms_of_Keith_O'Brien.svg.

Scottish Roman Catholic cardinal, Keith Michael Patrick O'Brien, passed away today at the age of 80.

Not a very popular man, even before his issues become widely known. Or so I hear.

On 11/3/2018 at 08:45, Davey Jones' Locker said:

Cardinal Karl Lehmann is dead. :pop: Only obits are in German at this stage:

https://www.bild.de/politik/2018/lehmann-karl/kardinal-lehmann-gestorben-55019262.bild.html

On 20/3/2018 at 01:41, arrowsmith said:

For the sake of being complete: Karl Cardinal Lehmann, bishop of Mainz, died on the 11th. 

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/cardinal-karl-lehmann-influential-german-prelate-dies-at-81-80258

I think he's the same Cardinal Lehmann reported by Davey...:pop:

23 hours ago, Mercarte said:

I think he's the same Cardinal Lehmann reported by Davey...:pop:

Damn it. 

On 7/5/2017 at 17:11, Davey Jones' Locker said:

Thanks for the tip.  Vatican politics fascinates me. :D  Can you ask your contact about something else that interests me?  Last year, the Pope met with ostracised American priest John Dear.  John Dear lobbied the Pope to write a "peace" encyclilcal.  So far, there has been no further news.  Does he have any info on whether that is likely to eventuate?  Big thanks!

Sounds like Pell really is coming home, unless his heart problem plays up again.  On the news here the other night, a charity fund has been set up for Catholics to donate to help his legal fight!  The Catholics interviewed seemed very divided over whether they would give or not.  Seems a lot of laity think he is guilty...

Okay, back on topic, with regard to the death of Cardinal Meisner, I love how in the linked DW article he decried anything he didn't personally like as "Nazi"  yet was a very authoritarian figure himself!  

Once again, big thanks for telling me the info.  We will see what unfolds. The Pell hearing is due to start in the middle of this month.  Could go either way.  Some high profile bishops on the Anglican side were found guilty in the Royal Commission (Philip Newell and Jonathan Holland's father, Alfred Holland) but others like Archbishop Philip Aspinall, shockingly, have been let off in the end, in what I consider a whitewash.  On the Catholic side, a lot of people have been condemned but we are obviously in completely new territory with such a huge target as Pell being on criminal charges.  Hopefully justice will be served, whatever the outcome may be. 

Figured you'd like this then: A speech by stuffed-shirt Cardinal Burke explaining where Papal Authority derives from, it's limitations, and then gives a dagger up the strap to Pope Francis (not explicitly) followed by extolling the virtues of one Cardinal Meisner.
SC

• Haha 1

On 08/01/2018 at 15:22, Sir Creep said:

Sounds like the Lord has intervened in the Cardinal Pell affair.
A man who publicly accused Cardinal George Pell of sexual abuse has died.

Damian Dignan, from the Australian city of Ballarat, died on Saturday following a long illness.

Cardinal Pell is on a leave of absence as Vatican treasurer to fight police charges in his native Australia. He has strongly and consistently denied any wrongdoing.

Local media reported that Mr Dignan's death could affect court proceedings against the cardinal.

SC

Cardinal George Pell was unanimously convicted by an Australian jury on Tuesday of sexually abusing two choir boys while serving as Archbishop of Melbourne. Apparently the good people of Australia aren't allowed to know about it, the Daily Heil tells us.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6489637/Catholic-Churchs-senior-cleric-removed-Popes-inner-circle-sex-abuse-claims.html

• Like 1

Former Archbishop of Adelaide, Ian George dead at 84.

Had been forced to resign 15 years ago in "shock", a sex abuse scandal.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-29/former-archbishop-of-adelaide-ian-george-dies/10759400

3 hours ago, charon said:

Former Archbishop of Adelaide, Ian George dead at 84.

Had been forced to resign 15 years ago in "shock", a sex abuse scandal.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-29/former-archbishop-of-adelaide-ian-george-dies/10759400

Wrong thread. This belongs in Cleric or Relic. This guy is neither a Cardinal nor Catholic. 

• Like 1

Anglican is pretty much Catholic coffee3.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/05/2019 at 06:26, Clorox Bleachman said:

Used his name 3-4 random times he being the eldest one.  Even posted MMMDP 2018.   

SirC

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

Used his name 3-4 random times he being the eldest one.  Even posted MMMDP 2018.   

SirC

Not quite the oldest. That honor belongs to this guy: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/José_de_Jesús_Pimiento_Rodríguez

Though the above was only named a Cardinal a few years ago there were others older than Sfeir up to that point.