Pagad Ultimo

The Cardinals Of The Roman Catholic Church

Italian Cardinal Elio Sgreccia has died aged 90. (Would have been 91 tomorrow).

100px-Coat_of_arms_of_Paulo_Evaristo_Arn

Italian Roman Catholic cardinal, Paolo Sardi, passed away yesterday at the age of 84.

100px-Coat_of_arms_of_Paulo_Evaristo_Arn

Spanish Roman Catholic cardinal, José Manuel Estepa Llaurens, passed away today at the age of 93.

Just now, arrowsmith said:

The copy editor of that article needs to retake their math classes. He was only 82. 

East Asian reckoning, as Cuba is near Japan...

Just now, drol said:

East Asian reckoning, as Cuba is near Japan...

I always forget they’re three months ahead. Thank you Drol. 

• Haha 1

100px-Coat_of_arms_of_Cardinal

Mexican Roman Catholic cardinal, Sergio Obeso Rivera, passed away today at the age of 87.

11 minutes ago, Mercarte said:

Mexican Roman Catholic cardinal, Sergio Obeso Rivera, passed away today at the age of 87.

“In August 2018, Rivera said that while some accusations made by victims of Catholic Church sexual abuse cases are valid, about those who make accusations of pedophiliaagainst Catholic clerics some should be "ashamed" to point their finger and "should have a little pity because they have tails that are stepped on, very long."”

Sounds like a nice chap :mellow:

Italian Roman Catholic cardinal, Achille Silvestrini, passed away today at the age of 95.

1 minute ago, arrowsmith said:

Wrong thread. From Cleric to Relic is what you’re after. 

Yep

100px-Coat_of_arms_of_Jose_de_Jesus_Pimi

Colombian Roman Catholic cardinal, José de Jesús Pimiento Rodríguez, passed away today at the age of 100.

4 hours ago, Mercarte said:

100px-Coat_of_arms_of_Jose_de_Jesus_Pimi

Colombian Roman Catholic cardinal, José de Jesús Pimiento Rodríguez, passed away today at the age of 100.

Hey I gave him a lovely shout out for Advent Avalanche 2018!! Aww RIP 

SC

Etchegaray was the oldest living cardinal after the departure of Pimiento Rodriguez... now Albert Vanhoye is the oldest and he hopes to live a little bit longer as dean!

19 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

As his constant champion around these parts.  I wish him well on his soul’s journey.

And I’m taking full credit for keeping him in the forefront on DL.  He should have been on actual DP imho.

SirC

100px-Coat_of_arms_of_William_Joseph_Lev

American Roman Catholic cardinal, William Joseph Levada, passed away today at the age of 83.

Wikipedia says that the last time the Pope created cardinals, he created 14 of them last year in June or something.

Based on my utterly un-scientific method of counting the number of dead Roman Catholic cardinals since then that have been posted on this thread (not in the mood to go through all the deaths for a year+ on Wiki to see if any were missed here), with Levada's death, we've finally broken even since then - 14 created, 14 dead.

There are currently 94 cardinals at or over the age of 80, with another 4 set to hit that mark before the year is out.

All this is saying I'm genuinely surprised that this thread isn't needed for often.

100px-Coat_of_arms_of_Serafim_Fernandes_

Brazilian Roman Catholic cardinal, Serafim Fernandes de Araújo, passed away today at the age of 95. 

Cardinal Miroslav Vlk, 84.

As Catholicism was frowned upon in communist Czechoslovakia, Vlk spent much of his working life officially employed as a window cleaner.

20 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Cardinal Miroslav Vlk, 84.

As Catholicism was frowned upon in communist Czechoslovakia, Vlk spent much of his working life officially employed as a window cleaner.

Vlk died nearly three years ago. That site seemingly is regurgitating a lot of old news stories, as the initial diagnoses of dead folk like John Cocks and Stephen Hillenburg have cropped up in my recent deadpool searches :scratchhead:

Cardinal Prospero Grech, Malta's only living cardinal prospers no longer. Born on Christmas Eve 1925, He died aged 94 and 6 days.