Sign in to follow this  
DevonDeathTrip

Leon Russell

I'm sad to report that singer, songwriter, guitarist and pianist Leon Russell is in hospital after undergoing brain surgery. He has had recent health issues including a "brain fluid leak and treatment for heart failure and pneumonia", which doesn't sound too good. As well as preforming as a solo artist, he is probably as well known for his session work in the 60s and 70s, when he appeared on albums recorded by just about everyone. He is also the owner of a very fine beard, which would give ZZ Tops' efforts a run for their money IMO.

leonrussell4.jpg

I'm sad to report that singer, songwriter, guitarist and pianist Leon Russell is in hospital after undergoing brain surgery. He has had recent health issues including a "brain fluid leak and treatment for heart failure and pneumonia", which doesn't sound too good. As well as preforming as a solo artist, he is probably as well known for his session work in the 60s and 70s, when he appeared on albums recorded by just about everyone. He is also the owner of a very fine beard, which would give ZZ Tops' efforts a run for their money IMO.

leonrussell4.jpg

Sad because you like him, or sad because you found out 12 days too late? :rolleyes:

leonrussell4.jpg

Sad because you like him, or sad because you found out 12 days too late? :rolleyes:

Oh definitely sad because I'm an admirer of his work, I really hope he recovers. He played on a lot of stuff by The Flying Burrito Brothers who I like a lot. But he really did preform with a Who's Who of major artists - Rolling Stones, Lennon, Beach Boys, Phil Spector, The Byrds, Dylan, Clapton etc, etc. I think he also wrote one of The Carpenter's biggest hits, but I can't remember which one. Handrejka might know.

leonrussell4.jpg

Oh definitely sad because I'm an admirer of his work, I really hope he recovers. He played on a lot of stuff by The Flying Burrito Brothers who I like a lot. But he really did preform with a Who's Who of major artists - Rolling Stones, Lennon, Beach Boys, Phil Spector, The Byrds, Dylan, Clapton etc, etc. I think he also wrote one of The Carpenter's biggest hits, but I can't remember which one. Handrejka might know.

I'm sure she does. Here's a

featuring the song's co-writer, Bonnie Bramlett.

Leon also played piano on one of my favourite Badfinger songs, Day After Day. I hope he comes through this too.

Here's a bit more about Leon Russell's health that was posted on a Yahoo newsgroup.

I don't know if there was some code of silence about this but Leon just had

another surgery to correct a problem which has been plaguing him for well over

twenty-five years. He's been dealing with a crack in his inner skull that

occasionally fissures open. That causes spinal fluid to leak. When it's "minor"

he gets massive headaches and has to run around with a hankie to his face, and

when it's not it's a mortal danger because the brain rides on a cushion of the

stuff and you don't want the outside world getting in or the fluid getting out

of course.

Apparently this time the problem came back and Leon had to have surgery for what

might be the third, fourth or even fifth time, not sure, but he's dealt with it

at least once or twice in the past.

Reports say that he is out of surgery, it took five hours and it went well, but

that the hard part is he has congestive heart failure (ongoing) and pneumonia on

top of it. Being the tough old dude he is, they're expecting it to go well, with

a followup in a month or so. Being that he's almost seventy years old, it's serious no matter what

So the long term outlook isn't very good, even if he makes a full recovery from his most recent surgery. :rolleyes:

leonrussell4.jpg

Sad because you like him, or sad because you found out 12 days too late? :)

I'm sure she does. Here's a

featuring the song's co-writer, Bonnie Bramlett.

Leon also played piano on one of my favourite Badfinger songs, Day After Day. I hope he comes through this too.

I'm afraid I only know of him through his connection with Kaz and Rich. He also wrote "A Song for You" and "This Masquerade" which were performed by the Carpenters.

Dilemma, do I drop anyone on the Rotten Deadpool for Leon?

On Leon Russel being hospitalized

I like the way Russel made his exit at Bangladesh. Most performers take that final bow, but Leon didn't. The guy stood up and walked off the stage without drawing any attention to himself. He just walked off. I wonder what Leon Russel's motto for life is?

Edit: Quotes from Leon Russel.

Treatment for it is not all that effective,

Mosquitoes are a very important agent for transmission of zoonotic diseases, ... I`d worry first about mosquitoes and then about water quality.

He seems to be recovering very well.

Leon is recovering after successful surgery on Monday to relieve a chronic condition. He is doing fine and resting in the hospital in good condition. He is expected to be released from the hospital in a few days.

Leon is looking forward to beginning studio recording sessions during the last half of this month through February with Elton John, Bernie Taupin and T-Bone Burnett. He and his band will resume touring at the beginning of March.

Leon and his family wish to thank everyone who have kindly offered their prayers and support during his hospital stay

He's done a lot of great stuff, and appeared on a lot of mint records, including Willie Nelsons "Don't Fence Me in"

And i'm pretty sure I have him on some Marc Cohn and Joe Cocker at home.

This doesn't sound good, despite what Leon's publicists say.

Tulsa's own Rock and Roll Hall of Famer, Leon Russell will have surgery this week in Nashville.

The 74-year-old legend had a heart attack last week. Because of the surgery, the Grammy winner is also postponing all of his upcoming concerts through September 18th - including his September 16th concert in Oklahoma City.

His representatives say they are optimistic Russell will make a full recovery.

SC

http://m.newson6.com/story.aspx?story=32473989&catId=112042

Tulsa's own Rock and Roll Hall of Famer, Leon Russell will have surgery this week in Nashville.

The 74-year-old legend had a heart attack last week. Because of the surgery, the Grammy winner is also postponing all of his upcoming concerts through September 18th - including his September 16th concert in Oklahoma City.

SC

http://m.newson6.com/story.aspx?story=32473989&catId=112042

His representatives get paid when he works, of course they're optimistic.

• Like 1

SChttp://m.newson6.com/story.aspx?story=32473989&catId=112042

They're only in it for the money. We post stuff because we want to, and yet we don't get paid. They only do they're job because of money on the other hand lol

They're only in it for the money. We post stuff because we want to, and yet we don't get paid. They only do they're job because of money on the other hand lol

To be fair, if you're working with rock legends that old you probably care a bit and also think in terms of a living wage.

You don't get paid for posting stuff? :scratchhead:

• Like 1

A little bit of BB King going on perhaps? His managers worked him into the grave:

SC

It true, wow, another big name gone.

Just yesterday, I listened to Donna Summer's version of MacArthur's Park and then crossed over to Jimmy Webb and then proceeded to include a couple of Wrecking Crew members into my longlist, including Leon Russell.

Oh my. Where's that Sergeant Pepper pic again?

Can't be that many folk involved in the Concert for Bangladesh still going, surely? Clapton and Starr of course.

For anyone wondering why Leon mattered at all the highly estimable Growing Bored for a Living site blogged a download to the best of a few days back

Link: http://growboredbigscott62.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/rip-leon-russell.html#comment-form