honez

Winter Olympic Deaths

In DL tradition, this thread asks the question, who's most likely to come a cropper in the Winter Olympics?

Will it be a cool runnings style bobsled team? An Ice Hockey Player? A downhill racer?
Place your bets here.

(Where's Eddie the Eagle when you need him?)

• Like 1

In DL tradition, this thread asks the question, who's most likely to come a cropper in the Winter Olympics?

Will it be a cool runnings style bobsled team? An Ice Hockey Player? A downhill racer?

Place your bets here.

That has to be a

... They're tough guys (and ladies, I suppose), but they can't keep on defying the odds.

Now I think about it... bobsleighing is

, of course.

Can we not just wish the WHOLE of the Winter Olympics just fuck off and die?

Its a gut wrenchingly tedious load of crap.

As speedskating is the only olympic event in which the Dutch can be sure of at least a couple of medals, I wholeheartedly disagree...

We can cut the number of events, though.

, for example, is the most boring game ever invented - and with cricket, golf and bowls, the competition is stiff.

If they do the 4 at a time snowboard racers again this year then I think it would stand a fair chance of injury. But has anyone ever been killed in any winter olympic games? I can't think anyone has.

One of those luge riders. I have a feeling there will be a huge luge pileup severing the careers of several sledders. The terrible matter will begin when Mark Grimette swerves to avoid hitting a snowflake. Grimette, (who will be 39 tomorrow, January 23) out of Muskegen Michigan will gain fame in a Gordon Lightfoot ballad which has a sound similar to Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald. {hey if Elton John could redo Candle in The Wind for Princess Diana, this can't be such a big stretch}

Anyway. American luger Grimette will perish along with Tony Benshoof.

If they do the 4 at a time snowboard racers again this year then I think it would stand a fair chance of injury. But has anyone ever been killed in any winter olympic games? I can't think anyone has.

In only the most limited of ways. n 1964 there was an Australian alpine Skiier named Ross Milne who suffered a fatality during training. That same set of olympics saw British luger Kazimerz Skrzypeski have a fatal run.

The 64 olympics had an unknown final outcome in figure skating as well since in early 1961, the US figure skating team was killed---all of them---crashing in Brussels while headed to The World Championships in Prague.

For this year's winter events, promising news:: over the Christmas holidays, there were 2 deaths at Whistler's Mountain! {and a gondola accident there as well}

"Whistler mountain, site of the 2010 Winter Olympics, was struck by tragedy twice over the holidays as two unrelated fatalities occurred on the slopes of the world class mountain resort. The names of the two deceased have not yet been released as family has yet to be notified.

The tragic accidents come a week after a gondola from Blackcomb mountain made international headlines when it came loose from its wires.

The 47-year-old man from Whistler was skiing on the upper Dave Murray Downhill run, an area that is open to the public, at about 2 p.m. when he left the marked piste, hit some large rocks and was severely injured, according to the RCMP.

The ski patrol and two mountain doctors went to the man's aid and attempted to resuscitate him, but he succumbed to his injuries.

The area had been posted with signs warning of unmarked rocks and obstacles due to early- season conditions, the RCMP said.

The Mounties are continuing their investigation and are interviewing witnesses. The man's family has been notified and his name is not being released for now, police said.

On Monday afternoon, a 17-year-old snowboarder from Burnaby, B.C., died on Whistler Mountain after hitting a boulder."

Sources:::: Olympics Death On The Slopes

Olympic Sight, Whistler Mountain turns deadly

Welcome to the modern world LFN, where anything and everything is a tedious load of crap. At least we get shiny trinkets for enduring this one. :dead3:

I love the Olympics though, excepting the fact that Canada always blows it. Don't know why, it just has some allure, perhaps if for no other reason than it distracts me from real life.

It doesn't help that Britain are as rubbish at the Winter Olympics as they are. But it's not surprising, there are no proper mountains and look what happened to the country when it got a dusting of snow this year. Two weeks of complete chaos. The only things Britain have had any success in are frozen shuffleboard and ice dancing, which have to be in the top five for Cyril Softiest sports imaginable.

It doesn't help that Britain are as rubbish at the Winter Olympics as they are. But it's not surprising, there are no proper mountains and look what happened to the country when it got a dusting of snow this year. Two weeks of complete chaos. The only things Britain have had any success in are frozen shuffleboard and ice dancing, which have to be in the top five for Cyril Softiest sports imaginable.

I liked the theme tune to Ski Sunday.

Au contraire mon ami, she lives down the road from me. A few miles.

I'm currently in Europe at the moment and was recently observing some friends ice skating; a big German prick of a bloke was showing off and hassling the other skaters and I realized that he probably couldn't swim. I took great pleasure in imaging him entering the water off Bondi, running afoul of the rip current and being sent straight out into the Tasman.

I prefer my water as liquid, in my experience Australians and ice rarely mix - P.S. my friends consist of an Englishwoman, a Pole and an Irishman.

Thats an argument that, in hairy fairy land, may hold water CR.

The problem is we have zillions of football, Cricket and Rugby pitches and we aint no fucking good at those either!!

The notion that I will be sitting on my sofa, at its very edge, while Hans Von Kranklwankle chases the fastes time on the Slalom or Sabine Saboute ends up completing the luge on her arse because she came a cropper half way down doesnt interest me one jot.

Id be amazed if the British audience for this debacle was anything more than UK Gold gets at 3AM on a Tuesday night.

Im sure the sight of a bunch of Scottish middle aged dears sweeping the Ice instead of their front steps is truly exciting to the average labotomised katie Price but it does nowt for me...or summat.

Advertising Churchill insurance with that bulldog! I might see if someone has loaded it on to you tube. Then again, maybe I won't.

I'll go with that goofy event where they ski and then shoot.

I prefer my water as liquid, in my experience Australians and ice rarely mix

Not even with Scotch used as intermediary?

regards,

Hein

I'll be watching the Ice-Hockey (or, for our trans-atlantic readers, the Hockey), just in case lightning strikes twice.

The British Ski and Snowsport Federation has gone bankrupt, but don't worry, our brave athletes will still be competing. Oh, what has gone wrong since the days of Eddie Edwards and the Bell brothers conquering all that came before them? (how Martin managed to compete at such a high level in his white suit AND knacker the Hamiltons' political careers at the same time is still beyond me!)

Oh, what has gone wrong since the days of Eddie Edwards and the Bell brothers conquering all that came before them?

Don't forget GB's very own Konrad Bartelski (good old British Name).

I bet you could just smell the Swiss and Austrian skiers fear of facing the mighty Konrad during Lake Placid 1980.

(he actually finished 12th which i dont suppose is too bad)

'64 Innsbruck alpine ski racer, Jimmie Heuga dies at 66 of Multiple Sclerosis. ...wait. Do you mean during the games?

As speedskating is the only olympic event in which the Dutch can be sure of at least a couple of medals, I wholeheartedly disagree...

We can cut the number of events, though.

, for example, is the most boring game ever invented - and with cricket, golf and bowls, the competition is stiff.

My grandparents were watching the Canadian National Championships and I caught bits and pieces... if the Olympics wants to increase its curling ratings, it should let some of those girls from P.E.I. compete in the tournament. Ah, to be young and in love! ;)

Alright, that's my Banshee's-style post for the year.

One of those luge riders.

On the money with that one - top marks BB.

ps - That guy's death was totally the fault of the track designers.

$10,000 of 10mm plywood and an accident like that could never have been that severe.

• Like 1