honez

Winter Olympic Deaths

Could an Admin please merge this defunct and terribly superfluous thread with the Olympic Deaths /Dead Medallists thread that we currently use? Thanks.

SC

When the summer and winter Olympics are merged in real life, I'd be happy to do the same with these threads.

Well can the other thread be renamed Summer Olympians? "Olympic Medallists" leaves no room for interpretation and covers all Olympians regardless of any actions taken. We can humor YW and let him post here.

SC

• Like 1

Former Slovenia slalom skier Drago Grubelnik, who had been head coach of the Bulgarian team since 2013, has died in a car crash in Austria, the Bulgarian ski federation said. The 39-year-old, who competed at three consecutive Winter Olympics from 1998 died on Tuesday after the car he was driving swerved off a mountain road and rolled down a hill near the Austrian resort of Soelden.

He was clearly better at slalom than downhill.

SC

http://963jackfm.com/news/articles/2015/nov/18/former-olympic-skier-grubelnik-dies-in-car-crash/

A fairly biggie and possibly could've been a pick.

Bill Johnson at 55.

Downhill champ in '84 , his health had been brutal for years but I'm still a bit surprised by this. He just seemed to go on & on.

http://www.kgw.com/sports/olympics/olympic-champion-bill-johnson-dead-report-says/20670650

A fairly biggie and possibly could've been a pick.

Bill Johnson at 55.

Downhill champ in '84 , his health had been brutal for years but I'm still a bit surprised by this. He just seemed to go on & on.

http://www.kgw.com/sports/olympics/olympic-champion-bill-johnson-dead-report-says/20670650

Can't remember Johnson, or his Olympic victory.

I remember the Sarajevo games mostly from its speed skating tournament: Canadian Gaétan Boucher did brilliantly. Silver medalist of the 1000m event, Sergey Khlebnikov, a personal favourite, died in 1999 by drowning in a pond. The Dutch were pants and failed to win medals.

'Drowned in a pond' ?

So he tried practising in the summer then ?

• Like 2

Guest Droosy

compared to today´s skiing, it looks like slow motion

Former five times short track world champion Noh Jin-kyu [/size]dies aged 23. He would have competed in 2014 Sochi Olympics, but was ruled out of the Olympics due to a broken elbow. Upon further inspection, it was discovered that he had a five-inch malignant tumor in his shoulder.

NOOOOOOOOOOOH!

"Noh's condition improved with treatment and he said last year that he would like to compete at the 2022 Beijing Olympics."

I think I'm going to make him honourary captain of my 'we've beaten cancer' theme team

SC

• Like 1

Peking is getting a Winter Olympics?

Yeah, the IOC didn't want to be out-done by Quatar landing the World Cup

• Like 1

To be fair, by the day of the voting Almaty was the only alternative. And if Russia could hold its winter games in a summer resort, what's wrong with Beijing?

To be fair, by the day of the voting Almaty was the only alternative. And if Russia could hold its winter games in a summer resort, what's wrong with Beijing?

Well, we could mention human rights...

But, hey, they've got the games, we'd better get over it.

Rotten Ali, on 02 Mar 2005 - 6:55 PM, said:
Just seen a preview item for tomorrows "Entertainment Tonight" show that Scott Hamilton, the US olympic ice skater has a some sort of brain tumour. He looked like he was not that well. Hope to hear more on him tomorrow I think. Did a quick search on rotten.com (17 picks - from about 35,000 players - with most picking him on the 12th Nov 04 and 23rd February 05.
nnbd came back with the news that he has also suffered from testicular cancer.
notes:
Born: 28-Aug-1958
Birthplace: Bowling Green, OH
Ethnicity: White
Sexual orientation: Straight
Level of fame: Somewhat
Executive summary: Olympic ice skater
US Olympic Hall of Fame 1990
Risk Factors: Testicular Cancer

Diagnosed with a brain tumour for the third time.

Former Olympic downhill skiing champion Jean Vuarnet has died aged 83, French local newspaper Le Dauphine Libere reported on Monday. Vuarnet, who won a gold medal at the 1960 Olympics, died of a stroke in Sallanches in the French Alps, the newspaper said.

SC

http://wkzo.com/news/articles/2017/jan/02/alpine-skiing-former-olympic-champion-vuarnet-dies-report/

First legit death 2017 -- I plant my flag in victory.

This year's been all downhill for Vuarnet.

Shit I didn't see John Berger's obit. He's the winner :-(

Josef Augusta, Czech ice hockey player who was part of the silver medal winning team in the 1976 Olympics, has died at 70 after suffering from pancreatic cancer since 2015.

He was also coach of the Czech ice hockey team from 2000-2002, during which time the team won two medals at successive World Championships (2000 & 2001), and participated in the 2002 Olympics, coming in 7th place.

Augustin Bubník, Czech ice hockey player who was part of the Silver medal winning team at the 1948 St. Moritz Olympics (for Czechoslovakia), has died aged 88. He also played at the 1947 and 1949 World Championships, where Czechoslovakia came 1st both years. After playing, he went on to work as a coach for the Finnish Ice Hockey team from 1966-1969.

Harold Hurley, Canadian ice hockey player who was part of the Silver medal winning team at the 1960 Squaw Valley Olympics, has died aged 87.

7 minutes ago, RishCast said:

Ludmila Belusova, two time pairs' figure skating gold medalist ('64, '68) with husband Oleg Protopovov, has died aged 81.

Oh, I remember the Protopopovs!  Mainly because my mum used to like saying the name.

• Like 1