Sign in to follow this  
Spade_Cooley

Frank Sidebottom

Chris Sievey, aka Frank Sidebottom, diagnosed with cancer. Never thought he'd be dying before John Cooper Clarke, but there you go.

And he's just been doing the dropping for his mum, dying at his home in Hale.

Gawd, another person I've seen live. They're dropping like flies.

Guest Little Frank
Chris Sievey, aka Frank Sidebottom, diagnosed with cancer. Never thought he'd be dying before John Cooper Clarke, but there you go.

You know he did.

He really did.

Thank You.

You know he did.

He really did.

Thank You.

You beat me to it with that one, Little Frank!

I too saw him live, supporting "The Icicle Works" if memory serves. And let us not forget, he was also responsible for "I'm in Love with the Girl on the Manchester Virgin Megastore Checkout Desk" and the confusingly titled "I can't get 'Bouncing Babies' by 'The Teardrop Explodes' " in the guise of the lead singer of "The Freshies".

R.I.P. Frank / Chris.

You know he did.

He really did.

Thank You.

I too saw him live, supporting "The Icicle Works" if memory serves. And let us not forget, he was also responsible for "I'm in Love with the Girl on the Manchester Virgin Megastore Checkout Desk" and the confusingly titled "I can't get 'Bouncing Babies' by 'The Teardrop Explodes' " in the guise of the lead singer of "The Freshies".

R.I.P. Frank / Chris.

My Frank moment was at the Cricketers pub next to the Oval in about 1990. I generally avoid organised comedy, especially when it's mixed with music (no thanks, Sultans of Ping), but it was a great evening. I feel more than a bit sad about Frank's passing, he was a one-of-a-kind 'Marmite'-type performer.

You know he did.

He really did.

Thank You.

R.I.P. Frank / Chris.

That's a shame cos I've got it in mint condition! :closedeyes:

30 years after it was released, mind...

Re Sidebottom, the sudden death doesn't tally totally with the medical reports ahead of the day.

Not seen any 'suicide' rumours yet, has anyone else?

Looks like a papuer's funeral for our man as well. I can understand how he died without much cash to his name, but reading the comments box down there apparently Tony Wilson did as well? Is this the curse of Remote Control? Should Phil Cornwell's family start saving now?

Looks like a papuer's funeral for our man as well. I can understand how he died without much cash to his name, but reading the comments box down there apparently Tony Wilson did as well? Is this the curse of Remote Control? Should Phil Cornwell's family start saving now?

Thanks to Jon Ronson organising an appeal on Twitter and Facebook it isn't going to be a pauper's funeral any more - as of two hours ago the fund was standing at over £12k.

As for Tony Wilson, yes he was pretty much broke towards the end of his life. He couldn't afford the drugs he needed that he wasn't able get on the NHS in Manchester (but could have in Cheshire, probably) due to the post code lottery - I remember Shaun Ryder, amongst others, helping him out getting the drugs at one point, which is kind of ironic. I don't know about his funeral but his grave is essentially a pauper's one with just a marker rather than a proper headstone. But do I feel guilty for the cost of the pint he bought me at Newcastle Riverside once - umm, no.

Nah, a 'pauper's grave' (or whatever the modern phrase is) means a public grave in which some other complete stranger may be interred in the future. As opposed to a private grave which has been paid for. Which I'm sure Tony's has. If there's no headstone, it probably just means that no one's yet got around/been arsed to do something about organising one. Time it was sorted.

• Like 1

Frank's cultural significance continues its posthumous growth, as Selfridges appropriate his head. He'll be bigger than Che, Lenin, Martin Jarvis and God ere long.

Seems more like Betty Boop to me.

betty_boop_2_991x1126.png

Frank's cultural significance continues its posthumous growth, as Selfridges appropriate his head. He'll be bigger than Che, Lenin, Martin Jarvis and God ere long.

Seems more like Betty Boop to me.

betty_boop_2_991x1126.png

Looks like another bunch of tallentless parasitic marketing types pinching other peoples ideas to me. No chance of anything like respect for others getting in the way of conning money out of their clients with no real work done!

Best regards

Syd

Frankie goes to Hollywood. Well, Wicklow.

Im pretty sure that Frankie wasnt the first person seen wearing one of those heads but I cant think of where I first saw it.

Im think it was a film ( probably an early 70s jobbie) anybody got any ideas?

The Music for Maniacs blog - easily found - has a download of Frank covering Queen on offer today.

Some families are just cursed with multiple tragedies happening to them.

Actually, I'd never heard of Frank Sidebottom until last year. Hope that doesn't make me an ignoramus or anything.

If that curse thing were true (which, frankly I doubt) it'd be marginally more chance the rest of us would survive slightly easier.

The death tag impends.