Sign in to follow this  
DevonDeathTrip

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Oh aye, and whilst we're on the Synyrd subject can we get a grip on Artemus Pyle's - alleged - sex crimes. The following from Facebook via other social media:

Former Lynyrd Skynyrd drummer Artimus Pyle is a REGISTERED SEX OFFENDER in North Carolina & Florida ~ In 1993, Pyle was arrested and charged in Jacksonville Beach, Florida with sexual battery against both his daughters, ages four and eight.. Facing a potential life sentence, Pyle arranged a plea bargain with prosecutors to spare the children a trial. He received eight years of probation and he was entered into the Florida Department of Law Enforcement's "Sexual Offender" database..Would an innocent men plead 'no contest' in a sexual battery case? I think not...On November 19, 2007, Pyle was arrested in St. Johns County, Florida for failure to register as a sex offender. Pyle was acquitted after a jury trial on August 28, 2009..Pyle explained the reason for not registering his address is that he "travels a lot.".. Pyle's name and photograph are featured on the Florida Department of Law Enforcement sexual offender database website..Artimus said the sexual molestation charges weren't true..He said it was all made up by his ex wife,,the mother of the two young girls.. Both of Artimus' daughters have denied the charges. According to Artimus Pyle,,those charges stem from a woman scorned that made false accusations..Then why did he plead no contest? It don't make sense..I never heard of an innocent man pleading no contest..Artimus Pyle's illiterate daughter wrote the following: i was one of those girls...my sister was the other, and i was 3 yrs old at the time, and yes my sister was also in this, but it was all my mom trying to get money from him, the thing was they were going to give him 25 in prision if he pled NOT guilty and 8 yrs of probation if he pled GUILTy, what would you do?? i am very close to my dad now and i really am his daughter, he has finished the probation and he is aloud ro be a dad to me again since i have not seen my mother for years, she abandoned me which shows you how crazy she is, she ruin my dads life and tried to ruin mine but she couldnt because i was stronger then that. my dad is a wonderful person, has a bigger heart then all the people you know combined! he has never touched a child in any kind of way other then love of a father!!! ......Regardless,,Artimus Pyle is still a registered Sex Offender..

Rossington had one heart attack - two years back and is coming up to his 66th birthday. May well be one to watch though not much indication he's right at death's door, is there?

5 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Rossington had one heart attack - two years back and is coming up to his 66th birthday. May well be one to watch though not much indication he's right at death's door, is there?

I bow to your knowledge in these matters but didn't he have another heart issue earlier this year?

15 minutes ago, msc said:

I bow to your knowledge in these matters but didn't he have another heart issue earlier this year?

Aye, he had a "procedure" to deal with some blockage issues and was back on the road again within a fortnight. Doubtless he's monitored closely now because - apart from anything else - they still play big enough dates to oblige someone to underwrite lengthy tours with enough insurance to make sure everyone gets paid if it all goes horribly wrong. If Rossington wasn't fit to get on stage there would be no dates going forward.

Skynyrd still play festival dates to many thousands and "amphitheatre" shows on their own tours which pull a few thousand a night; and they've been on the road off and on for most of this year.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Gary Rossington's heart issues a little more serious than have been reported previously: http://ultimateclassicrock.com/gary-rossington-on-stage-heart-attacks/

Hmm - so theyr'e on a farewell (maybe) tour by the look of it.

Tbh I trust his fairly bleak assessment but the timing of that announcement is still likely to shift a few "last chance to see" tickets.

Ed King, guitarist for Skynyrd and co-writer of Sweet Home Alabama, dead aged 68: https://eu.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2018/08/23/former-lynyrd-skynyrd-guitarist-ed-king-dead-68/1072400002/

Formerly founding member of Strawberry Alarm Clock.

Edit: As he played on the original Free Bird which was re-issued and charted in 1982, another miss for my TOTP theme team. Come on, Gary!

• Sad 1

Shame, good axe man on a Great 3 albums.

I think he left after a Tarot reading, which stated a Skynyrd guitarist born on 14/9/49 would die in a plane crash.

So he made sure his replacement was Steve Gaines.

Both were born on that exact same date.

• Like 1

Hmmmm. King had a heart transplant 7 years ago.

Surely unusual for a man in his 60's?

Or is it King is Cash?

8 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

As he played on the original Free Bird

Love the bass line on that song. R.i.P

He might have played bass on the track, but the best version imo is togwt one, and he was lead by then as Leon had returned on bass.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, charon said:

He might have played bass on the track, but the best version imo is togwt one, and he was lead by then as Leon had returned on bass.

I agree with that. That version is very good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joey Russ said:

Gary Rossington dead

RIP to the guy who made one of the greatest guitar solos of all time:

6 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Gary Rossington dead

The last original member of the band, truly a great loss

A death years in the making...horrid news. 

RIP.

34 minutes ago, Sinbabad said:

The last original member of the band, truly a great loss

Yes, Lynyrd Skynyrd was founded in 1964 as a five set.

Though their biggest days were in the 70s, and there's still 3 members living from that era:

Rickey Medlocke (73, still with the group today)
Greg T. Walker (71)
Artimus Pyle (74)

4 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Yes, Lynyrd Skynyrd was founded in 1964 as a five set.

Though their biggest days were in the 70s, and there's still 3 members living from that era:

Rickey Medlocke (73, still with the group today)
Greg T. Walker (71)
Artimus Pyle (74)

Pyle's actions likely saved lives when their plane crashed. He was the one who stumbled through the swamp with broken ribs to raise the alarm. Ironically, the member of the band closest to death at the time of the plane crash - backing singer JoJo Billingsley - avoided the accident because she'd been forced off the road to get treatment for her drug problem, she cleaned up, found God and died of cancer aged 58.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Drewsky1211 said:

RIP to the guy who made one of the greatest guitar solos of all time:

It's actually Allen Collins who did that Free Bird guitar solo. Nonetheless Gary was equally as good, pretty sure he performed the opening solo of the song.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Pyle's actions likely saved lives when their plane crashed. He was the one who stumbled through the swamp with broken ribs to raise the alarm. 

Wow, what a hero. I'm off to get a tattoo of Artimus Pyle on my arm, don't need to read any further into his Wikipedia article he sounds like a great guy.

• Like 1