24 replies to this topic

#1 faustus

faustus

Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 05:17 PM

Yep, he's 85 today, but will he make 86 ?...only time will tell...I hope he does cos I quite like him as a broadcaster and author..
FAUSTUS

#2 Tempus Fugit

Tempus Fugit

Twunt Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3967 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:59 PM

Thought this thread looked rather empty, considering Ludo is a serious contender for the DeathList.

Especially now that his wife Moira Shearer died recently, it's quite common for the surviving spouse of a long marriage(56 years in this case) to pop off shortly after.

Ludo will be 87 this year, maybe he'll be joining Moira soonish. It would be a shame if he weren't on the list.

#3 Godot

Godot

In a minute

• Members
  • 3860 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 12:03 AM

Ludo Kennedy is good mates with Jim Slater (of Slater-Walker fame) who must also be getting on a bit.
Ring down the curtain, the farce is over

#4 Canadian Paul

Canadian Paul

uber twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4133 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 12:05 AM

Thought this thread looked rather empty, considering Ludo is a serious contender for the DeathList.

Especially now that his wife Moira Shearer died recently, it's quite common for the surviving spouse of a long marriage(56 years in this case) to pop off shortly after.

Ludo will be 87 this year, maybe he'll be joining Moira soonish. It would be a shame if he weren't on the list.

The problem with the spouse logic is that if he makes it to 2007, it probably won't be a factor anymore.

I have, however, heard a lot that he has been in poor health recentely, but I can't find much specific information. Perhaps you could give a quick rundown for us across-the-pond-scum? :P
Twunt Master Series (August 2007 - January 2008) (January 2008 - June 2008) (July 2008 - April 2009) (April 2009 - January 2010)

Uber Twunt Series (January 2010 - ?)

I still owe NAP

#5 Tempus Fugit

Tempus Fugit

Twunt Master

• Members
  • 3967 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 12:14 AM

The problem with the spouse logic is that if he makes it to 2007, it probably won't be a factor anymore.

I have, however, heard a lot that he has been in poor health recentely, but I can't find much specific information. Perhaps you could give a quick rundown for us across-the-pond-scum? :P

I think the danger time, for a bereaved spouse of a long term marriage is between 6 and 18 months,

The first 6 months are usually filled by the family of said spouse rallying round to comfort them and help them adjust to the new situation. After that initial period the extra attention tends to tail off and the remaining spouse is left with the stark reality of their new life. Depression brought about by an inability to come to terms with this new reality often occurs, this frequently leads to a swift decline in health and will to live.

If they're still alive after 18 months then the chances are they have managed to adapt themselves to the new situation.

#6 M Busby Airlines

M Busby Airlines

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 02:07 AM

Maggie defied the odds - bitch!

Especially if you include Mark & Carol - incredible!!

#7 maryportfuncity

maryportfuncity

Dedicated Cumbrian Corpse Hound, or summat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15014 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 03:55 PM

Didn't Ludo suffer from depression and/or make a half-hearted bid to end it all years back?

Brinsworth House beckons, I reckon.

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.maryport2if5.jpg

#8 Mortician

Mortician

Bomber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 04:01 PM

Didn't Ludo suffer from depression and/or make a half-hearted bid to end it all years back?

Brinsworth House beckons, I reckon.

I recall that he was an eminent member of the Voluntary Euthanasia Society oops rebranded Dignity in Dying so hopefully a trip to Zurich for a glass of Dignitas mouthwash may occur next year.

Get him on for next year and a concerted campaign of 'your a burden Ludo' junk mail should push him over.
plan to live forever or die in the attempt

#9 jmh8300

jmh8300

Hatchet man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:04 AM

"Ludo" is a great man. I was at school with his son Alistair and we got him in to speak to the History Society about his experiences assisting in the sinking of the Bismark. It was the most enthralling lecture I've ever heard and the best attended. Given that was 30 years ago (christ!) he must be pushing 90 now.

I admire his secular and pro-euthanasia views and hope he doesn't have to put the latter set of values into practice any time soon, but I respect his right to do so. I normally detest Liberal Democrats but he is my one exception.

Game on!

#10 harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

It's God shit!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:52 AM

Ludo's dead. The Kennedy curse strikes again.

I guess he let nature take its course after all.

why, you little...

#11 Rotten Ali

Rotten Ali

Value for money

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2849 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:20 PM

Well done HarryMc, you beat me by half an hour.

Big beast of the Liberal ranks gone west. Interesting to see who of the old Liberal party turn out to his funeral.
Jeremy Thorpe? Cyril Smith?
She Saw it Coming ... 
Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, ExPope Benedict XVI, Chuck Blazer, Tony Booth, Ian Brady, George HW Bush, Glen Campbell, Lord Carrington, Errol Christie, Sean Connery, Tim Curry, Liz Dawn, Ed Doolan, Kirk Douglas, Doug Ellis, Harlan Ellison, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Rev Billy Graham, Jimmy Greaves, Hubert Green, Valerie Harper, Olivia deHavilland, Stephen Hawking, Clare Hollingworth, John Hurt, Bill Kenwright, Val Kilmer, Helmut Kohl, Lee Kun-hee (Samsung), Penny Marshall, John McVie, King Michael 1st of Romania, Frank Miller, Mary Tyler Moore, Robert Mugabe, Jim Nabors, Leslie Phillips, Sumner Redstone, Little Richard, Fernando Ricksen, Nick Robinson, David Rockafeller, Peter Sallis, Ian St John, Nobby Styles, Murray Walker, Joost van der Westhuizen, John Wetton, Gunther von Hagens & Jiang Zemin. 1/50.

#12 Youth in Asia

Youth in Asia

Executioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:51 PM

Dead as you like!

"All the time, all the wasted time
All the years, waiting for a sign"

Barry Manilow 1978

2016 - 39th

2015 - 59th
2014 - 267th
2013 - 235th
2012 - 167th
2011 - 44th
2010 - 355th
2009 - 27th
2008 - 70th
2007 - 176th

ALLAH AKBAR ... closes eyes ... (bang)

#13 Windsor

Windsor

LFN Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6518 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:17 PM

Damn. I guessed him on the DL poll after Ted died. :(

Anyway- good going for the DL.

Shadow List 2017

Leah Bracknell, Sir Bruce Forsyth, Buzz Aldrin, Greg Gilbert, Jim Bowen, Billy Graham, Clive James, Glen Campbell, Robert Mugabe, Steve Sumner, Liz Dawn, Donald J. Trump, Olivia de Havilland, Jimmy Snuka, Richard Wilson, Sean Connery, Gerald Kaufman, Pruella Scales, Stephen Hawking, Desmond Tutu, Mario Soares, Duke of Edinburgh, George H. W. Bush, Dick van Dyke, Henry Kissinger, Gordon Banks, Paul Gascoigne, Lady Saltoun of Abernethy, Ian Brady, Valerie Harper, Lord Snowdon, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, King Michael of Romania, Stuart Hall, Eileen Derbyshire, Leslie Phillips, Keith Richards, Hosni Mubarak, Jalal Talabani, Grand Duke Jean, Dame Vera Lynn, Rolf Harris, John Williams, Giorgio Napolitano, Pope Benedict XVI, Jimmy Grieves, Bob Dole, Peter Sallis, Hugh Hefner, Kirk Douglas.​

2009: 13/50, 2010: 10/50, 2011: 9/50, 2012: 15/50, 2013:16/50, 2014: 10/50, 2015: 7/50, 2016: 10/50, 2017: 3/50.

#14 VSBfromH

VSBfromH

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1832 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:08 PM

First Ted, now Ludo. Jeez! I'm really not very good at picking my Kennedys, am I? :(
Oh, Mickey! What's EGREGIOUS?!

#15 Body Snatcher 44

Body Snatcher 44

Chunder-er from Down Under

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:22 PM

Wasn't It Time who accurately predicted Ludovic Kennedy as the 11 death of the year?

If it was you Time - well done mate.

BS' BC - 2010 = 7.
BS' BC - 2011 = 8.
BS' BC - 2012 = 12.
BS' BC - 2013 = 12.
BS' BC - 2014 = 8.

BS' BC - 2015 = 12.

BS' BC - 2016 = 11

Body Snatcher's Body Count - 2017.
Blue=DDP
20 Australians. Bob Hawke. Graham “Polly” Farmer. Lou Richards. Judy Moran. Geoffrey Robinson. Darrell Eastlake. Prince Leonard I of Hutt. Graham Richardson. Jeanne Little. Ron Casey. Flo Bjelke-PetersenBetty Cuthbert. Moi-Yo Miller. Vincent Ball. Peter Isaacson. Malcolm Young. Basil Hetzel. Clive James. “Father Bob” Maguire. Neale Daniher. 10 Brits. Prince Philip, Duke of EdinburghStephen Hawking. Norbert "Nobby" Styles. John Cruickshank VC. Sir Bruce Forsyth. Dame Vera Lynn. Leah Bracknell.  Leslie Phillips. Murray Walker. Freeman Dyson. 10 Americans. George H.W. Bush. Kirk Douglas. Jerry Stiller. Valerie Harper. Rev. Billy Graham. Jimmy Carter. Olivia De Havilland. Carl Reiner.  Glen Campbell. Mary Tyler Moore. 10 Citizens of the World. Liliane Bettencourt. Gord Downie (Joker).  Joost van der Westhuizen. Pope Benedict XVI. Michael I of Romania. Ian “The Wizard of New Zealand” Brackenbury Channell. Michael Schumacher. Jacques Chirac. Gay Byrne. "Superfly" Jimmy Snuka.

#16 Guest_Crisiwisi_*

Guest_Crisiwisi_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:18 PM

He's gone! 19 October 2009

#17 The Watcher

The Watcher

Hatchet man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:35 PM

A sad loss but inevitable. He looked old 30 years ago when he presented "Did You See?"

#18 themaninblack

themaninblack

Pun Plunderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7457 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:11 PM

Death's No Game for Ludo...:(

"I must have killed more men than Cecil B. DeMille."

Gene Wilder (1933-2016) as "the Waco Kid", Blazing Saddles (1974)

#19 Death Watch Beatle

Death Watch Beatle

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1596 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:16 PM

Damn me! Only two nights ago I went punting for news on LK and couldn't find a thing. Funny old game this DeathList thing.

DWB :rolleyes:

#20 time

time

Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4120 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:23 PM

Wasn't It Time who accurately predicted Ludovic Kennedy as the 11 death of the year?

If it was you Time - well done mate.

Thanks. I did indeed select Mr Kennedy, and strangely felt quite a sense of achievement at having guessed right (I can account for my whereabouts for the entire weekend officer).

I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be.

Time's-up Team 2017 (still sitting in my outbox)

Dick Churchill (Joker)  :xbones: , Tommy Docherty, Bernard Haitink :xbones: , Gerald Harper, Colin Jeavons :xbones: , George "Johnny" Johnson, Patricia Knatchbull :xbones: , Tommy Lasorda, Vera Lynn(40), Sheila Mercier, Michael of Romania(40), Pete Murray, Robin Parkinson, I.M. Pei, Nehemiah Persoff, Dudley Simpson :xbones: , Nobby Stiles(40), Joseph Wapner :xbones: , Peter Wyngarde, Mario Zagallo

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dead

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users