faustus

Ludovic Kennedy

Yep, he's 85 today, but will he make 86 ?...only time will tell...I hope he does cos I quite like him as a broadcaster and author..

Thought this thread looked rather empty, considering Ludo is a serious contender for the DeathList.

Especially now that his wife Moira Shearer died recently, it's quite common for the surviving spouse of a long marriage(56 years in this case) to pop off shortly after.

Ludo will be 87 this year, maybe he'll be joining Moira soonish. It would be a shame if he weren't on the list.

Ludo Kennedy is good mates with Jim Slater (of Slater-Walker fame) who must also be getting on a bit.

Thought this thread looked rather empty, considering Ludo is a serious contender for the DeathList.

Especially now that his wife Moira Shearer died recently, it's quite common for the surviving spouse of a long marriage(56 years in this case) to pop off shortly after.

Ludo will be 87 this year, maybe he'll be joining Moira soonish. It would be a shame if he weren't on the list.

The problem with the spouse logic is that if he makes it to 2007, it probably won't be a factor anymore.

I have, however, heard a lot that he has been in poor health recentely, but I can't find much specific information. Perhaps you could give a quick rundown for us across-the-pond-scum? :P

The problem with the spouse logic is that if he makes it to 2007, it probably won't be a factor anymore.

I have, however, heard a lot that he has been in poor health recentely, but I can't find much specific information. Perhaps you could give a quick rundown for us across-the-pond-scum? :P

I think the danger time, for a bereaved spouse of a long term marriage is between 6 and 18 months,

The first 6 months are usually filled by the family of said spouse rallying round to comfort them and help them adjust to the new situation. After that initial period the extra attention tends to tail off and the remaining spouse is left with the stark reality of their new life. Depression brought about by an inability to come to terms with this new reality often occurs, this frequently leads to a swift decline in health and will to live.

If they're still alive after 18 months then the chances are they have managed to adapt themselves to the new situation.

Maggie defied the odds - bitch!

Especially if you include Mark & Carol - incredible!!

Didn't Ludo suffer from depression and/or make a half-hearted bid to end it all years back?

Brinsworth House beckons, I reckon.

Didn't Ludo suffer from depression and/or make a half-hearted bid to end it all years back?

Brinsworth House beckons, I reckon.

I recall that he was an eminent member of the Voluntary Euthanasia Society oops rebranded Dignity in Dying so hopefully a trip to Zurich for a glass of Dignitas mouthwash may occur next year.

Get him on for next year and a concerted campaign of 'your a burden Ludo' junk mail should push him over.

"Ludo" is a great man. I was at school with his son Alistair and we got him in to speak to the History Society about his experiences assisting in the sinking of the Bismark. It was the most enthralling lecture I've ever heard and the best attended. Given that was 30 years ago (christ!) he must be pushing 90 now.

I admire his secular and pro-euthanasia views and hope he doesn't have to put the latter set of values into practice any time soon, but I respect his right to do so. I normally detest Liberal Democrats but he is my one exception.

Game on!

Well done HarryMc, you beat me by half an hour.

Big beast of the Liberal ranks gone west. Interesting to see who of the old Liberal party turn out to his funeral.

Jeremy Thorpe? Cyril Smith?

Damn. I guessed him on the DL poll after Ted died. :(

Anyway- good going for the DL.

First Ted, now Ludo. Jeez! I'm really not very good at picking my Kennedys, am I? :(

Wasn't It Time who accurately predicted Ludovic Kennedy as the 11 death of the year?

If it was you Time - well done mate.

Guest Crisiwisi

He's gone! 19 October 2009

A sad loss but inevitable. He looked old 30 years ago when he presented "Did You See?"

Death's No Game for Ludo...:(

Damn me! Only two nights ago I went punting for news on LK and couldn't find a thing. Funny old game this DeathList thing.

DWB :rolleyes:

Wasn't It Time who accurately predicted Ludovic Kennedy as the 11 death of the year?

If it was you Time - well done mate.

Thanks. I did indeed select Mr Kennedy, and strangely felt quite a sense of achievement at having guessed right (I can account for my whereabouts for the entire weekend officer).

Guest Guest_N. Fritz_*

Is that a Latin pun, I detect? "Game" over for "Ludo"? Or am I reading too much into it? :-)

Is that a Latin pun, I detect? "Game" over for "Ludo"? Or am I reading too much into it? :-)

That depends on which admin it was who wrote it.

It could just be a reference to this:

k-s-g-ksg-family-ludo-game.jpg

Never heard of him.

Ludo Kennedy is good mates with Jim Slater (of Slater-Walker fame) who must also be getting on a bit.

Jim Slater has died at 86. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/12006338/Jim-Slater-financier-obituary.html

Edit: Ideal opportunity to tag Ludo as dead, too!

Balls. Had him on my long list for a while but never got round to picking him. Harumph!