Sign in to follow this  
bingo

Liverbirds

Im suprised Ray Dunbobbin who played Mr Boswell in the liverbirds and ralph hardwicke in brookside is still alive and well. he was in newcastle yesterday talking about his career as an actor. does anyone know approx how old he is?

Im suprised Ray Dunbobbin who played Mr Boswell in the liverbirds and ralph hardwicke in brookside is still alive and well. he was in newcastle yesterday talking about his career as an actor. does anyone know approx how old he is?

Given the lack of information about him online, I doubt that he would be worth choosing on the DDP - he probably wouldn't get an obit (he doesn't even have a wiki page).

Given the lack of information about him online, I doubt that he would be worth choosing on the DDP - he probably wouldn't get an obit (he doesn't even have a wiki page).

You'd be suprised who gets an obit. 'Character' actors often get their dues...

That man was in loads of programmes in the 70s, possibly, one of the most in demand character actors.

I never did know his name and now I do, its all rather spooky.

What a coincidence that his surname is Dunbobbin. I spent a good part of my teenage years dreaming that his Liverbirds co star Nerys Hughes would never be Dunbobbin up and down on me! :angry2:

What a strange old World!

Trying to place him, I ran him through Google Images, and as a result happened upon what must be one of the anorakiest websites out there:

My congratulations for coining a lovely new word.

OMG.

OMFG.

And some people say we need to get a life.

regards,

Hein

That man was in loads of programmes in the 70s, possibly, one of the most in demand character actors.

What a coincidence that his surname is Dunbobbin. I spent a good part of my teenage years dreaming that his Liverbirds co star Nerys Hughes would never be Dunbobbin up and down on me! :angry2:

Nerys Fucking Hughes? You really are one sick puppy.

well hes still alive anyway but i still dont know how old he is? i cant find his birthdate on the internet anywhere..

weird :blink:

What a coincidence that his surname is Dunbobbin. I spent a good part of my teenage years dreaming that his Liverbirds co star Nerys Hughes would never be Dunbobbin up and down on me! :lol:

Nerys Fucking Hughes? You really are one sick puppy.

Nooo!!

Once upon a time she was a young fullsome bit of stuff.

Mind you I was once a young, wholesome boy with a raging stiffy.

Now Im just an old perv whos forgotten what a stiffy is.. :blink:

Anyway,I cannot have been the only lad who may have cracked one off to the image of Ms Hughes.

nope therse nothing about him anywhere which i find a bit strange considering he appeared in nearly every other comedy sitcom in the 1970,s

According to the fount of all knowledge, Ray had a heart attack and was done bobbin' in 1989, so either wikipedia's wrong or bingo saw a ghost. Both options are equally plausible.

We'll just have to wait for UK Gold's The Unforgettable Ray Dunbobbin.

Wiki is often wrong: it had Andre Marranne (of Pink Panther fame) listed as died in 1992 earlier this year. This came as a great shock to the folk I knew who had spoken to him in March!

Dunbobbin had roles in both Doctor Who and Porridge, both of which have fans rather good at tracking down former guest cast if they die*, so I assume he is still with us.

*Except poor old Alan Judd. No one knows what happened to him. Probably long gone by now, he was quite old in the 70s when he was acting.

Wiki is often wrong: it had Andre Marranne (of Pink Panther fame) listed as died in 1992 earlier this year. This came as a great shock to the folk I knew who had spoken to him in March!

Dunbobbin had roles in both Doctor Who and Porridge, both of which have fans rather good at tracking down former guest cast if they die*, so I assume he is still with us.

*Except poor old Alan Judd. No one knows what happened to him. Probably long gone by now, he was quite old in the 70s when he was acting.

Yep, I was just watching him in Porridge and wondering who was still around, which led me here. The 'where's Ray: over- or underground?' campaign starts now.

According to the fount of all knowledge, Ray had a heart attack and was done bobbin' in 1989, so either wikipedia's wrong or bingo saw a ghost. Both options are equally plausible.

Well, I've just checked the England/Wales Death Index from 1920-2006, which I tend to use for racing driver research. Raymond H Dunbobbin, who is the same as the Coronation Street writer, playwright and actor, died in Lancashire, but in 1998. The same fellow was born abroad, so it all tallies.

Well, I've just checked the England/Wales Death Index from 1920-2006, which I tend to use for racing driver research. Raymond H Dunbobbin, who is the same as the Coronation Street writer, playwright and actor, died in Lancashire, but in 1998. The same fellow was born abroad, so it all tallies.

The Wiki article states that he died in 1989, yet has him in the list of 1998 deaths (linked in the same article)

The Wiki article states that he died in 1989, yet has him in the list of 1998 deaths (linked in the same article)

Probably just a typo then.

Probably just a typo then.

Be helpful to know which is which tho. Just tried a search on Findagrave, yielded zilch. Guess he's not famous enough to be worth their time

Well, clearly it's 1998, because OoO said he checked it in the GRO index. Can't get more official than that.

Name: Raymond Harold Dunbobbin

Birth Date: 31 Mar 1931

Date of Registration: Aug 1998

Age at Death: 67

Registration district: Liverpool

Inferred County: Lancashire

Register Number: E21D

District and Subdistrict: 0251E

Entry number: 4

That's assuming it's the same chap of course, but it's hardly a common name.

Doesn't explain this though:

Well, clearly it's 1998, because OoO said he checked it in the GRO index. Can't get more official than that.

Name: Raymond Harold Dunbobbin

Birth Date: 31 Mar 1931

Date of Registration: Aug 1998

Age at Death: 67

Registration district: Liverpool

Inferred County: Lancashire

Register Number: E21D

District and Subdistrict: 0251E

Entry number: 4

That's assuming it's the same chap of course, but it's hardly a common name.

Doesn't explain this though:

Hmm, perhaps this could be the basis for a follow-up of sorts to Searching For Sugar Man

Anyway, I'm glad we've established Ray's dead. I liked Brookie, particularly its strange death throes when Phil Redmond used Jimmy Corkhill as a public mouthpiece.

According to the book on the series "Porridge" that I have, Ray Dunbobbin did indeed die in 1998...

I'd like not to believe that Polly James is 79 today, but there's no escaping it. She is.

• Like 1
  • Angry 2