InquilineKea

World War II Veterans

Guest American Sports Fan

I was curious to see how many were still alive.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who looks such stuff up then!

Was trying to figure out what the youngest year of birth for WWII veterans is now and more importantly who is the oldest WWII veteran and the youngest WWII veteran alive in the world today.

All I could find was info on Calvin Graham (1930-1992) who was the youngest American to serve in World War II at the age of 12 > http://en.wikipedia....i/Calvin_Graham

It would be fascinating to find out, and I'm sure you can probably get that information for some individual countries if you dug hard enough, but trying to pin down the extremes worldwide would take a lot of research. WWII really was a global affair and dozens of countries can claim combat veterans, even if many of their contributions are largely unknown or unpublicized compared to the major powers. For instance:

There were nearly 7 million WWII veterans from India, including about 40,000 who were so fed up with colonial rule that they enlisted on the Axis side

Brazil committed an Expeditionary Force of 25,000 troops to the Italian campaign in 1944

The 30,000 strong Cyprus Regiment (both Greek and Turkish - possibly the last time they ever agreed on anything!) fought under British command for almost the entire war

The Cuban navy sank a German sub in 1943

The Mexican Expeditionary Air Force (under US command) flew 59 combat missions over the Philippines in 1945 - the only action the Mexican military has ever fought outside Mexican borders.

US army forces included approximately 115 volunteer soldiers from the Dominican Republic. New Zealand's army included infantry regiments from Fiji and Samoa.

The Allied East African campaign of 1941 was conducted by a multi-national force that included soldiers drawn from many African countries and colonies (including Ethiopia, Eritrea, Sudan, Kenya, South Africa, Nigeria, and Ghana)

Guest American Sports Fan

Dug a little deeper to get some information about the war veterans from Mexico tonight, as I was curious. The surviving contingent of Mexican veterans is definitely very small, no more than half a dozen at most, and likely less. I can't get an exact count, but the head of the Mexican Association of WWII veterans said that only 10 out of 300 were still alive in 2003, and several more have definitely died in the years since. The most recent information I could find once I knocked the rust off my Spanish mentioned three surviving veterans attending a ceremony in April of 2011: two pilots, Col. Carlos Garduño Nuñez (age unknown) and Capt. Jose Luis Pratt Ramos (89 this year if still alive), and chief mechanic Maximiliano Quintanilla (age unknown). A third pilot (Col. Justino Reyes Retana, 89 this year if still alive) survived at least in 2010; he wasn't mentioned in the 2011 article.

Have just been watching the Band of Brothers series again, that, apart from portraying the Brits as blithering idiots or in minor support roles and sometimes both, is one of the best pieces of war drama ever made. I was looking up Easy Company on Wiki and there are quite a few still left alive. I think Richard Winters would get a UK obit.

The living ones I could find at first glance, ordered by birth. I'm not going to go in depth, this is just what I saw from the Wiki article for Band of Brothers. Anyone who has more can expand.

Frank Perconte (b. March 10 1917)

Richard Winters (b. January 21 1918)

Joseph A. Lesniewski (b. August 29 1920)

Lynn "Buck" Compton (b. December 31, 1921)

Donald Malarkey (b. 1921)

William Guarnere (b. April 28 1922)

Edward Heffron (b. May 16, 1923)

Darrell "Shifty" Powers (b. 1923)

Frank Perconte's died.

• Like 1

Have just been watching the Band of Brothers series again, that, apart from portraying the Brits as blithering idiots or in minor support roles and sometimes both, is one of the best pieces of war drama ever made. I was looking up Easy Company on Wiki and there are quite a few still left alive. I think Richard Winters would get a UK obit.

The living ones I could find at first glance, ordered by birth. I'm not going to go in depth, this is just what I saw from the Wiki article for Band of Brothers. Anyone who has more can expand.

Frank Perconte (b. March 10 1917)

Richard Winters (b. January 21 1918)

Joseph A. Lesniewski (b. August 29 1920)

Lynn "Buck" Compton (b. December 31, 1921)

Donald Malarkey (b. 1921)

William Guarnere (b. April 28 1922)

Edward Heffron (b. May 16, 1923)

Darrell "Shifty" Powers (b. 1923)

Frank Perconte's died.

And another one - Edward 'Babe' Heffron.

Guest Guest

Crikey at this rate the band of brothers are going to be dis-banded by christmas!

The last known veteran of the battle for Kornwerderzand, also known as the Battle of the Afsluitdijk, has died today at the age of 95. This battle was in the early stages of the second worldwar. Germany invaded the Netherlands in May 1940. Kornwerderzand was a system of Casemates, defended by the Dutch army. They held on to the Afsluitdijk until they were told to surrender after Rotterdam had been leveled.

The last surviving RAF veteran imprisoned in Colditz, Francis 'Errol' Flinn, has died aged 97.

He didn't escape but was freed im May 1944 after feigning insanity.

Molly Bobak at 92, http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/molly-lamb-bobak-canada-s-first-female-overseas-war-artist-dead-at-95-1.2556872

Out of the 32 Official WW2 War artists, she was the last.

Tried looking as was sure there was a ''last of'' thread but damned if I can find it.

Guest pedro

WAAF girl and author lettuce Curtis has died aged 99. There is a telegraph obit if someone could link to it for me, would be appreciated.

WAAF girl and author lettuce Curtis has died aged 99. There is a telegraph obit if someone could link to it for me, would be appreciated.

You mean Lettice, not Lettuce, right?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/10991463/Lettice-Curtis-obituary.html

Guest pedro

I did indeed was defeated by predictive text. Thanks for linking. Unique pick for me. Not many of the girls left now.

Theodore Van Kirk the last surviving crew member from the Enola Gay has died at the age of 93

Dug a little deeper to get some information about the war veterans from Mexico tonight, as I was curious. The surviving contingent of Mexican veterans is definitely very small, no more than half a dozen at most, and likely less. I can't get an exact count, but the head of the Mexican Association of WWII veterans said that only 10 out of 300 were still alive in 2003, and several more have definitely died in the years since. The most recent information I could find once I knocked the rust off my Spanish mentioned three surviving veterans attending a ceremony in April of 2011: two pilots, Col. Carlos Garduño Nuñez (age unknown) and Capt. Jose Luis Pratt Ramos (89 this year if still alive), and chief mechanic Maximiliano Quintanilla (age unknown). A third pilot (Col. Justino Reyes Retana, 89 this year if still alive) survived at least in 2010; he wasn't mentioned in the 2011 article.

Well the last WWI vets died in 2004, so adding 27 years between the ends of that and WWII, it's a safe bet the last WWII veteran will die sometime in the vacinity of 2030.

SC

One of the last surviving Doolittle Raiders, Lt. Col. Robert Hite, dies of Alzheimer's at 95. Thanks for for service. RIP

SirC

"Hite's death leaves two other surviving Raiders: retired Lt. Col. Richard "Dick" Cole of Texas, who was Doolitte's co-pilot, and Staff Sgt. David Thatcher of Montana."

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-robert-hite-20150331-story.html

• Like 2