InquilineKea

World War II Veterans

Alistair Urquhart, serviceman who survived Nagasaki and a Japanese POW camp and author of The Forgotten Highlander, has died aged 97. http://stv.tv/news/tayside/1369347-scottish-soldier-who-survived-nagasaki-atomic-bomb-dies/

Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alistair_Urquhart

Mentioned hereabouts and a DDP pick.

What do you know? Telegraph Obit: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2016/10/23/alistair-urquhart-death-railway-survivor--obituary/

• Like 1

17940734021_e55f862e79.jpg

Helmut von Leipzig, Rommel's driver, dead @ 95.

Only links are in German so far.

• Like 1

I'll assume you meant to post in Nazi SS

Whats wrong with it being posted here? He was a WWII veteran regardless... and all veterans deserve our respect. Not just those who fought for the Allies.

• Like 1

Why, 'No'.

If you disagree I'll assume you're Shroud in disguise ..... ;)

• Like 1

Willie Rogers, the (formerly) oldest surviving original Tuskegee airman, dies aged 101.

A Virginia Beach veteran who was one of the first black servicemen chosen to fly combat aircraft during World War II as part of what later became known as the Tuskegee Airmen has died. Thurman Spriggs passed away at his home Monday, according to his obituary in The Virginian-Pilot. He was 95.

SC

http://pilotonline.com/news/military/local/virginia-beach-veteran-and-member-of-the-tuskegee-airmen-dies/article_70794dd2-00a1-5492-a643-21d37e12e1e8.html

William A. Mohr died peacefully on Dec. 18 surrounded by his family, caregivers, an Irish priest and a Santa Claus, who visited him during his final hours. In his 108 years, Mohr saw life at its very worst and at its very best. He served in World War in the 381st Replacement Company European Front, 45th Infantry from 1943-1945. Mohr served in North Africa, Italy, France and Germany. He even helped liberate the Dachau Concentration Camp. He married Josephine (Josie) DeCarlo on July 31, 1943. Josephine died in 2015 at the age of 98. They were married for 72 years.

SC

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/national/hot-topics/108-year-old-wwii-veteran-dies-with-santa-by-his-side/477953437

A Santa visiting an old soldier isn't always appreciated.

Glasgow, dateline yesterday lunchtime.

15589889_1180604298672021_33639879480064

15590656_1180630212002763_30933181282067

• Like 3

What crime has been committed there?

Tends to be public safety with Wellington or something like that. The council used to spend a fortune removing the traffic cone, and every single time they did, it was back up there within ten minutes.

Though, even a drunk Glaswegian (oxymoron, I know) would notice a pissed Santa fallling off that horse towards them.

Chap's done it a few times, just goes up there and waves to the kids.

Made me think of many a happy night spent in The Waterloo on Argyle Street. beer.gif

Never really spent much time in that bit of town. There was a pub down the road from The Waterloo next to a chip ship. We tried it once, food was awful. Anyhow, it burned down a few weeks later. (No connection, honest, just Glasgow for you!) Being a pseudy bastard, I was better acquainted with the pubs in the West End, the Bon Accord being a particular favourite.

The man believed to be the last Berks County resident to survive the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor has died.

Daniel Schroeder passed away Sunday night at Reading Hospital, according to Pennsylvania Rep. Mark Gillen. The Navy veteran was 96.

For the record, fewer than 300 Pearl Harbor survivors are still reported to be living. When it gets down to 100 I'll start a thread. Maybe 50.

SC

• Like 1

World War II veteran, Richard Overton, believed to be the oldest in the U.S. will be able to stay in his beloved Texas home for several more months thanks to the help of more than 2,500 people who raised more than $121,000.

Richard Overton, 110, has been living in his home in Austin, Texas for more than 70 years.

However, when his caretaker started experience aging issues of her own, his family feared he would need to move to an assisted living facility.

That would be a “death sentence,” according to his third cousin, Volma Overton Jr.

“We all knew that if you move Richard out of his home, he’d die. That home is everything for him.”

Overton Jr. launched a GoFundMe campaign to raise money for around-the-clock in-home care. Since its launch in December, more than $121,000 has been raised.

This meant the veteran could stay in his home for another seven months.

------------------

As in Scooby Doo -- He'd be DEAD if it wasn't for those meddling kids!
​That's ok, 7 months puts him squarely on target for September, with a few months to spare. Good luck sparing him from my DDP you bastards.

SC

• Like 1

Richard Overton faces eviction from his home because of spiralling health care costs:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/oldest-world-war-ii-veteran-9670959

Sorry I didn't see this and posted. Looks like he has a home for half a year at least.

SC

Old, vulnerable and recently hoisted high in publicity stakes - his final battle may be in a round of The Deathlist Cup, eh?

Flight Lieutenant Bernard Brown, the last surviving New Zealander to fight in the Battle of Britain, has died aged 99. RIP.