InquilineKea

World War II Veterans

1 hour ago, Thatcher said:

Lt. Edward Simons Fulmer, a former US Pilot and Officer, has died aged 98. He was one of only 4 living recipients of the Military Order of William, the oldest and highest order of The Netherlands. The 3 remaining recipients are Major Kenneth Mayhew (age 100), as well as 2 younger Dutch Majors. 

Here's first published English obit.

• Thanks 1

Might be from wiki, but proof that WW2 wasn't just won by the yanks, so worthy.

Margot  Duhalde at 97, female pilot (not going on that plane,) from Chile , jailed by the English for being Free French, she had some Life.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-42954634

• Like 2

Another Pearl Harbor survivor has diedDewey Jay of Oklahoma.  He was 97.  

SC

Lt. Jim Downing, the world's second-oldest Pearl Harbor survivor, died Tuesday at 104 years old.

Downing, who died from complications in surgery, joined the U.S. Navy in 1932, and left his home state of Missouri when he was just 19. When Japanese fighter planes attacked Pearl Harbor in 1941, Downing was the youngest sailor on the USS Virginia.

From 1952 to 1955, Downing went on to serve as the commanding officer of the USS Patapsco during the Korean War. During that time he was exposed to 20,000 times the maximum recommended lifetime dosage of radiation from the “H” bomb testing in Bikini Atoll.
SC

I think it's time for Richard Arvin Overton to die. The man is already 111 years old (111 !!) and is only doing overtime on Earth

• Angry 2

The Sun's getting into the patriotic spunk obit game now. Battle of Britain pilot James McPhee dead at 98, leaving only seven known BoB pilots remaining.

In the late 70s I worked with BoB pilot Andy McDowell and I learned that he had been a test pilot for Rolls-Royce. I asked him if he had ever flown the VC10 with two of its engines removed and replaced with the then experimental RB211.

rb211-1.jpg

He replied "£40 an hour I was being paid for piloting that and the cunts went bankrupt".

• Haha 1

Floyd Carter Sr., one of the last of the Tuskegee Airmen, dedicated his remarkable life to serving his country and his city.

The decorated veteran of three wars and 27 years with the NYPD died Thursday at age 95, leaving a long legacy as a groundbreaking hero pilot and a city police detective.

SC

22 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Floyd Carter Sr., one of the last of the Tuskegee Airmen, dedicated his remarkable life to serving his country and his city.

The decorated veteran of three wars and 27 years with the NYPD died Thursday at age 95, leaving a long legacy as a groundbreaking hero pilot and a city police detective.

SC

You created the topic Tuskegee Airmen and then when one of them croaks it you post it in World War II Veterans. :facepalm:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Cat O'Falk said:

You created the topic Tuskegee Airmen and then when one of them croaks it you post it in World War II Veterans. :facepalm:

Lol I don’t recall doing that at all.  Though it made sense.  Well someone can move this.  Noted for the remaining 150 of em or so.

SC

Felix Jans, the last Dutch survivor of the Battle of the Java sea, died at the age of 93. He was a crew member of the submarine Kortenaer and was rescued a day after the sub went down.

Fellow veterans may remember Warren Jackson as a brother in arms or as the one-time oldest commander of a Veterans of Foreign Wars post in the nation.

His daughter, Valorie Jackson, will remember him as a "great patriot" too, but most importantly, "a great family man."

Jackson died Saturday, March 31, at the age of 95.  Jackson was recognized by President Barack Obama on his birthday in 2013 as the oldest living commander of a VFW post in the U.S.

SC

Major General George E. Turnmeyer, 92, died at his residence in Huntsville, AL on April 2, 2018. He entered the Army as a private in 1944 and retired as a Major General in 1977.   MG Turnmeyer was born on July 12, 1925 in Dubuque, Iowa.

MG Turnmeyer’s citations and awards include the Army Distinguished Service Medal. 
SC

James Avery, a World War II bomber pilot who grew his artisan jewelry business from his in-laws' two-car garage to a national retail chain, has died. He was 96.

A statement from the Kerrville, Texas-based business said Avery died Monday but provided no details.

Avery began fashioning his mostly Christian-themed creations himself with his wife in his in-laws' Kerrville garage in 1954. He didn't hire his first outside employee until three years later.  Today, James Avery Artisan Jewelry operates 80 stores in Texas, Georgia, Louisiana, Oklahoma and Tennessee, and sells designs through more than 200 Dillard's department stores in 28 states.

SC

I really doubt he was “one of the last” Dunkirk survivors considering it involved 100,000s of personnel. Exaggeration by the press to sell a story I imagine.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Can’t be many left, prolly count on one hand 

Wouldn't be surprised.

26 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Wouldn't be surprised.

I didn’t know shite about the Bataan Death March until I found out my ex wife’s uncle survived it.  Interesting chap as you might expect.  He died many years ago tho.

SC

10 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

I didn’t know shite about the Bataan Death March until I found out my ex wife’s uncle survived it.  Interesting chap as you might expect.  He died many years ago tho.

SC

I, too, appear to be woefully ignorant of circumstances.  Just read the Wikipedia synopsis.  I bet he was an interesting fellow.

• Like 1