InquilineKea

World War II Veterans

Albert Mellor, who served with the 8th Denbighshire Royal Welsh Fusiliers and 1st Battalion Parachute Regiment during WWII, earning five medals he'd finally receive in 2012, has died.  He was 98.

http://www.mossleycorrespondent.co.uk/?p=4585

Article on Mellor receiving his medals 65 years after being earned.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/local-news/brave-para-albert-mellor-92-696586

We're getting to the point that near enough anyone from any significant campaign is a q/o these days

Just sayin'

Theme team heaven for DDP from here on in

Robert C. "Bob" Little — a decorated World War II fighter pilot and former McDonnell-Douglas executive — died Friday (Aug. 3, 2018) in hospice care. He was 93.

Mr. Little was a longtime resident of Frontenac who recently had moved to the Gatesworth in University City.

Born March 12, 1925, in Kansas City, Mo., Mr. Little attended Texas A&M University and studied engineering until 1943 — when he was old enough to enlist in Army Air Corp.

In Europe, he flew 68 combat missions piloting P-51 Mustang fighters. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross and the Air Medal with 13 clusters.
SC

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Philip Perugini,  an original Band of Brothers member who parachuted behind enemy lines on D-Day, has died.  He was 96.

https://southorange.dailyvoice.com/obituaries/band-of-brothers-original-member-from-hudson-valley-dies/740896/

He's a nobody.  Don't post every person who participated in the arena please.  I'm begging you now.  We got like a couple thousand still alive.... 

Ken Sturdy, a British sailor who helped in the evacuation of more than 330,000 Allied soldiers at Dunkirk, has died.  He was 98.   In 2017, Sturdy, who'd settled in Calgary, represented the film at the 'Movies for Grownups Awards' put on by the American Association for Retired Persons.  He'd later receive a handwritten note from 'Dunkirk' film director Christopher Nolan thanking him for his remarks on the film.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/wwii-dunkirk-veteran-ken-sturdy-1.4801109

• Sad 1

Raises an interesting question. When will the last WW2 veteran tip the twig? Based on 18 year olds fighting in 1945 my guess would be 2040 ish.

4 minutes ago, Cruyff's Turn said:

Raises an interesting question. When will the last WW2 veteran tip the twig? Based on 18 year olds fighting in 1945 my guess would be 2040 ish.

Probably closer to 2045 with increased life expectancy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruyff's Turn said:

Why not say 3040 if you aren't being serious.
I've posted plenty of times it'll be 2028-2030.  More likely the former.  

Younger veterans are from 1926-27. Count some of them living to 110 and it'll be 2037-2038.

6 minutes ago, drol said:

Younger veterans are from 1926-27. Count some of them living to 110 and it'll be 2037-2038.

Seems a bit pessimistic seeing as life expectancy is going up.

"What" increased life expectancy Sean.....?

Neglible and regressing (see my post in death links the other week).

DJL had it right on page 1, Hitler Youth and to add various partizan groups, folk born @ 1935 wid be possibilities.

So, 2045 at the earliest.

I wasn't really reckoning on underage combatants. No doubt some 12 year olds were clutching a Panzerfaust in one hand and a sticky lolly in the other down the Unter den Linden in May 1945. I'm not sure how longevity is increasing at the extreme limits as opposed to more living to say a hundred but I think we can be fairly sure that one veteran will make it towards 115.

So assuming 1935 + 115 we agree on 2045.......

:lol:

Places in Africa/Asia wid have folk born later than 1935 fighting.

Can't think Queensbury Rules.

I see that the Battle of Britain Society is listing just eight survivors, two of whom were on Blenheims which would not have been directly involved in the fighting. No Spitfire pilots remaining. The last one of those would have been Geoffrey Welham who died a few weeks back.

Balls.

A few more than that.

You're making the rookie error of "Allies in Ww2 veterans thread", " all the rest in Nazi thread".

Still a few Germans survive from The Battle of England.

They fucking count.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, charon said:

Balls.

A few more than that.

You're making the rookie error of "Allies in Ww2 veterans thread", " all the rest in Nazi thread".

Still a few Germans survive from The Battle of England.

They fucking count.

And you're making a mistake brought on by senility if you're willing to include WWII children who are unverified and unenlisted. 
The 'modern medicine' argument also fails.  Does it help people scoot from 75 to 90 more often, bloody hell yes.  No medicine does a damn thing to assist people who are 100. I'm not talking about going to hospital for a cough, and I'm not talking about a few weeks extra on a breathing machine.  I'm talking about 3-4 years of quality life.  Your number is up when it's up after 100.  
So now that I have summarily dismissed that nonsense with a sentence or two, let's review:
Last Civil War vet dies 1956 at 106.  He was 13 when he fought.  War ended 1865, or 91 years earlier.  Assuming medicine modern or otherwise doesn't increase the life of a 106 year old, we can safely use the 91-year after the event as a litmus test.
Last WWI vet was 110 years old, died 2012 or 96 years after the event.  Again, he was 14 when he fought.  In this case the bar moves up to 95 years after the event, leaving us an average of 93 years.
We can safely assume by WWII the 'enlisting at age 14' bullshit ceased, at least in developed countries.  And I've already called charon senile for trying to argue for inclusion of palm tree countries that don't even have birth certificates in the 1940s.  However, I'm willing to give you that a 16 year old may have gotten in.  
So.... 16 year old lives to say 108, that's b. 1925 (well,us Yanks don't include anyting pre-1941 lol and NEITHER SHOULD YOU if you want to win this debate, I'm helping YOU out), so dies 2033, or 88 years after the event.  You'll be hard pressed to give me numbers adding 7+ years on top of that. 
So I will amend what I've said all along (2028) and now adjust that to 2033.  No way no how a WWII vet survives past that calendar year.  
SC  

As you're from a Cuntry stupid enough to still pay Civil War widows pensions up until fairly recently, I'll let the implied insult slide, for now.

U 16's fair fucking game, they fought, they are veterans. You honestly think folk 'enlisted' in various Resistance/Partizan squads? Lol.

Russia/Germany/France/Austria/Rumania/Finland etc etc etc will have dozens of U 16 soldiers still alive.

Some WW2 vets alive will have started as children in Spain.

And will be included in Spanish CW stats as time goes on.

No idea about WW2 (my family were too old, too young, or conscientious objecters then) but I did have a great uncle who died on the front line at the Somme, aged 14. So take that for what its worth.

iirc the youngest American - claimed - was born in 1930. If you take the 18 age as cert, folk born 1927 serving in 1945.  Henry Allingham got to 113. Harry Patch 111. Hence estimates of 2038 (ie 1927 plus 111).

HOWEVER...

You have to figure in that by end of WW2, Hitler was sending kids to the front line.  So that brings the potential age barrier up considerably.

With that and the "everyone enlisted" approach in the USSR, we'll probably never know when the last WW2 vet dies. So they'll focus on the Brit, and 2036-9 seems a rough ball park for that.

By which point, half of us might be gone...

You might have cunto......

Y5UOb.png.665122fbe8486e08d217074223b89fb9.png

• Haha 1

Hmmmm.

Kinda fits in here I suppose re the current argument.

Been looking out old lists of Norn Loyalists, mainly UVF cuntos, for any resumption of Orange on Orange violence when Brexit hits. There's a full team of possibles, including Adair/Adair's wife & Bunter Graham the prick & Michael Stone.

There's still a few Shankhill Butchers above ground, and John Townsley (pikey obviously) was 14 when he 'enlisted'.

Does that make him less a veteran SC?

• Like 1