InquilineKea

World War II Veterans

On 17/03/2019 at 11:16, Prophet said:

Another candidate would be SS-Hauptsturmführer Rudolf von Ribbentrop (born 1921)

On 17/03/2019 at 15:18, Prophet said:

He is still alive as of January 2019.

Not anymore:

55271478_large.png

53 minutes ago, Book said:

Not anymore:

55271478_large.png

Good find!

On 02/05/2019 at 08:15, maryportfuncity said:

June Brown's home front service - somebody remind me. I'm assuming she smoked so much that Nazi reconnaissance aircraft couldn't separate out the damage from incendiary devices and the fug from tobacco.

WREN according to Wiki. I have actually read her autobiography but can't remember what she said about her war service.

On 17/04/2019 at 11:48, Prophet said:

This year we have 17 World War 2 Veterans (also includes people who served in the Home Front) on the Deathlist:

1. Herman Wouk (born 1915)

2. Kirk Douglas (born 1916)

3. Vera Lynn (born 1917)

4. Prince Philip Duke of Edinburgh (born 1921)

5. Betty White (born 1922)

6. Henry Kissinger (born 1923)

7. Bob Dole (born 1923)

8. Murray Walker (born 1923)

9. Bob Barker (born 1923)

10. Tony Britton (born 1924)

11. Jimmy Carter (born 1924)

12. Dick Van Dyke (born 1925)

13. Valery Giscard d'Estaing (born 1926)

14. June Brown (born 1927)

15. Sidney Poitier (born 1927)

16. Harry Belafonte (born 1927)

17. Jerry Lewis (born 1927)

Jerry Stiller served in WW2 according to Wiki.

And Olivia De Haviland's entertainment trips with USA troops and Pierre Cardin's red cross could count as service in some capacity.

William Tully Brown, a Navajo Code Talker has died aged 96. Apparently three have died in the last month, leaving a final four alive.

Herb Peppard, a Canadian World War II Veteran and recipient of the U.S. Congressional Gold Medal, has died.  He was 98.  Peppard was a member of the Devil's Brigade, which preceded the Green Berets and Navy Seals.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/herb-peppard-ww-ii-devils-brigade-veteran-dead-at-98-1.5173257

On 02/08/2019 at 01:32, YoungWillz said:

One of The Few, Archie McInnes, reported dead hours after celebrating his 100th birthday:

I think I’m right in saying we’re down to just 5 remaining members of The Few.

Despite his occasional fondness for military uniforms and army support - Mugabe (who was old enough to have served in WW2 like some of his countrymen did) spent the war as a student and then a school teacher.

Henry Ochsner, a World War II veteran and Screaming Eagle, has died.  He was 96. Ochsnar participated in the D-Day Normandy invasion. In 2017 Ochsner and nine other veterans were awarded France's National Order of the Legion of Honor during a ceremony at Los Angeles National Cemetery.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/wwii-screaming-eagle-veteran-henry-ochsner-dies-96-65473500?cid=social_twitter_abcn

• Like 1

Lauren Fay Bruner, one of the last survivors of the bombing of USS Arizona during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor during World War II, has died. He was 98. (Bruner had been wounded by machine gun rounds and suffered burns to over 73% of his body and spent the next seven months recuperating in a Navy hospital).  After his death, only three survivors remain alive ( Don Stratton, Lou Conter, and Ken Potts).  He will be buried with the wreckage of the USS Arizona.
RIP 

SC

EDIT: So I thought I would have a look, and Bruner did get a QO, meaning the last three names are all in play for DDP purposes.

• Like 2