InquilineKea

World War II Veterans

John Lorimer, DSO, last surviving mini-submariner from the raid on the Tirpitz, Operation Source, has died aged 97. His was one of two subs which successfully  managed to lay their mines (of ten that set out).

On 02/12/2013 at 19:24, TAFKAG said:

And another one - Edward 'Babe' Heffron.

Can't be many Band of Brothers left now - Roderick Strohl has gone. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.legacy.com/amp/obituaries/mcall/194627368

There used a Wikipedia page of the surviving Veterans but I haven't seen anything recently of who might be left. Edward Shames I think and maybe a few others. 

Edited by Octopus of Odstock

On 20/07/2018 at 02:03, YoungWillz said:

With the loss of Tom Neil and Geoffrey Wellum, of the surviving Few of the Battle of Britain there seem to remain:

Flt Lt William Terence Clark (b. 1919)

Wg Cmdr John "Tim" Elkington (b. 1920)

Wg Cmdr Paul Farnes (b. 1918)

Sqn Ldr John Stewart Hart (b. 1916)

Flt Lt William Robert Kent Hughes (b. ??)

Flt Lt Maurice Mounsdon (b. c1918)

Flt Lt Maurice Mounsdon dies age 101

I thought on first viewing that the three remaining 'few' were named in the twitter thread but I can't find the reference now.

The Battle of Britain historical society website offers three names in addition to Flt Lt Mounsdon - 

Flight Lieutenant William Terence Clark, DFM, 219 Squadron, Blenheims 

Wing Commander Paul Caswell Farnes DFM, British, 501 Squadron, Hurricanes 

Flying Officer John Allman Hemingway DFC - 85 Squadron Hurricanes, Irish

which differs from YW's list of last year, with only Clark in common.

1 hour ago, time said:

Flt Lt Maurice Mounsdon dies age 101

I thought on first viewing that the three remaining 'few' were named in the twitter thread but I can't find the reference now.

The Battle of Britain historical society website offers three names in addition to Flt Lt Mounsdon - 

Flight Lieutenant William Terence Clark, DFM, 219 Squadron, Blenheims 

Wing Commander Paul Caswell Farnes DFM, British, 501 Squadron, Hurricanes 

Flying Officer John Allman Hemingway DFC - 85 Squadron Hurricanes, Irish

which differs from YW's list of last year, with only Clark in common.

If you look closely, Farnes is on my list, later corrected by Ulitzer I think who added two more names at that time which probably included Hemingway.

Alas, I think I had used a Mirror or Mail article for survivors, rather than a better source. Couldn't be arsed updating my list.

21 minutes ago, arrowsmith said:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/07/us/pearl-harbor-uss-arizona-lauren-bruner-trnd/index.html

I haven’t looked into this deeply but this article claims only three remaining USS Arizona survivors are living. I wouldn’t have thought it was quite so few. 

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/06/us/pearl-harbor-survivor-uss-arizona-trnd/index.html

This article gives names and ages:

Donald Stratton 97

Lou Conter 98 (attended the anniversary in 2019)

Ken Potts 100

7 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

If you look closely, Farnes is on my list, later corrected by Ulitzer I think who added two more names at that time which probably included Hemingway.

Alas, I think I had used a Mirror or Mail article for survivors, rather than a better source. Couldn't be arsed updating my list.

Apologies, I was reading my list as Caswell rather than Farnes.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TomTomTelekom said:

Canadian aviation legend during WW2 Russell Bannock dead at 100 years:

https://www.skiesmag.com/news/remembering-aviation-legend-russell-bannock/

"After returning home from the Second World War, Russ Bannock joined de Havilland Aircraft Company of Canada as the OEM’s chief test pilot and operations manager."

Oh its a fucking sign from the Gods!!  

9 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

"After returning home from the Second World War, Russ Bannock joined de Havilland Aircraft Company of Canada as the OEM’s chief test pilot and operations manager."

Oh its a fucking sign from the Gods!!  

The de Havilland Aircraft Company was founded by Geoffrey de Havilland, Olivia's cousin. I can recall seeing a news story sometime in the late 1990s / early 2000s on a commemoration of the De Havilland Mosquito, and Olivia was one of the attendees. 

8 minutes ago, JQW said:

The de Havilland Aircraft Company was founded by Geoffrey de Havilland, Olivia's cousin. I can recall seeing a news story sometime in the late 1990s / early 2000s on a commemoration of the De Havilland Mosquito, and Olivia was one of the attendees. 

Yeah. Their dad's were half brothers.

• Like 1

I did not know that.  I had rather assumed that in Olivia's case it was a stage name, but was never interested enough to check.

On 08/12/2019 at 02:43, YoungWillz said:

Paul Farnes has died aged 101.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

16 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Paul Farnes has died aged 101.

YOWSER!!

Deathrace and HPDP points for me too - fairly sure during a lull in the fighting he performed a morris dance in a panto in the officers' mess

• Haha 1

Given that he was the only one well enough to attend any of the recent commemorations it isn’t unthinkable that the remaining Few will pass this year.

Edit: For clarity, there are now just TWO surviving Airmen:

1) William Clark b. Apr 1919
2) John Hemingway b. Jul 1919

• Like 1