maryportfuncity

Scientists, Inventors And Techno Wizards

"Bibliogryphon, please will you post another irrelevant list that no-one is interested in?"

Go on then you twisted my arm.

The Royal Society of Chemistry was formed in 1980 from the merger of two previous societies. The post of President is held for two years and therefore there are quite a few people who might make good picks and all should get at least a broadsheet obituary but if not I am a member of the society and they will get one in Chemistry World. Harry Kroto is probably the only one who would be mentioned on the news though.

There are 11 surviving past presidents and the current president (who is the first woman to hold the post)

Sir John Cadogan (1930-

Sir Jack Lewis (1928-

Sir Rex Richards (1922-

Edward Abel (1931-

Anthony Ledwith (1933-

Steven Ley (1945-

Sir Harry Kroto (1939-

Simon Campbell (1941-

James Feast (1938-

David Garner (1941-

David Phillips (1939-

Lesley Yellowtrees (1953-

Dominic Tildesley (?

Updated for the newly elected President who will serve for two years. I cannot find any reference to his year of birth but I suspect he is contemporaty with Lesley Yellowtrees as he states he was an undergraduate in the early seventies.

• Like 1

Yoshiki Sakai dead at 52. His results on stem-cell research were apparently fabricated and he committed suicide:

http://www.huffingto..._n_5649791.html

A bit drastic, but it's the Japanese way.

regards,

Hein

Yes, I think such cases would make a picturesque thread.

"Bibliogryphon, please will you post another irrelevant list that no-one is interested in?"

The Royal Society of Chemistry was formed in 1980 from the merger of two previous societies. The post of President is held for two years and therefore there are quite a few people who might make good picks and all should get at least a broadsheet obituary but if not I am a member of the society and they will get one in Chemistry World. Harry Kroto is probably the only one who would be mentioned on the news though.

There are 11 surviving past presidents and the current president (who is the first woman to hold the post)

Sir John Cadogan (1930-

Sir Rex Richards (1922-

Edward Abel (1931-

Anthony Ledwith (1933-

Steven Ley (1945-

Sir Harry Kroto (1939-

Simon Campbell (1941-

James Feast (1938-

David Garner (1941-

David Phillips (1939-

Dominic Tildesley (?

Just opened the September edition of Chemistry World and there is an obituary for Lord Lewis (1928-2014) second oldest surviving RSC president. He was knighted in 1982 and entered the House of Lords in 1989. I have updated the above list.

Andrew Kay, inventor of the early 'portable' computer the Kaypro II has died aged 95. He also invented the Digital Voltmeter.

Andrew Kay, inventor of the early 'portable' computer the Kaypro II has died aged 95. He also invented the Digital Voltmeter.

A programmer friend of mine had one of those. He called it his luggable.

regards,

Hein

• Like 1

Tony Verna, the guy credited with inventing the instant replay has died aged 81.

Tony Verna, the guy credited with inventing the instant replay has died aged 81.

• Like 7

I see what you did there.

Guest Guest

you posted that twice by mistake ! :scratchhead:

you posted that twice by mistake ! :scratchhead:

Doh!

• Like 1

At least he lived long enough to see his invention become overused and annoying.

Tomorrow's World and Making Tracks presenter, inventor and beard Bob Symes (Robert Alexander Baron Schutzmann von Schutzmansdorff to his mother) has died at 90. No link yet

Bob_Symes.jpg

• Like 1

Tomorrow's World and Making Tracks presenter, inventor and beard Bob Symes (Robert Alexander Baron Schutzmann von Schutzmansdorff to his mother) has died at 90. No link yet

Bob_Symes.jpg

There goes another personal DDP miss...

Carl Djerassi dies. Having invented the birth control pill, he could have had more mourners had he been less successful.

Sir C.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/01/us/carl-djerassi-dies-at-91-forever-altered-reproductive-practices-as-a-creator-of-the-pill.html

Sir John Cadogan (1930-

Sir Jack Lewis (1928-

Sir Rex Richards (1922-

Edward Abel (1931-

Anthony Ledwith (1933-

Steven Ley (1945-

Sir Harry Kroto (1939-

Simon Campbell (1941-

James Feast (1938-

David Garner (1941-

David Phillips (1939-

Dominic Tildesley (?

Updated for the newly elected President who will serve for two years. I cannot find any reference to his year of birth but I suspect he is contemporaty with Lesley Yellowtrees as he states he was an undergraduate in the early seventies.

Anthony Ledwith has died.

A post about a Post. Richard F Post, physicist, holder of several patents and inventor of various things I've never heard of but I'm sure they're lovely, dies at 96.He is however the father of Markie Post, who played the bailbondswoman in The Fall Guy. Of which I have heard. http://www.contracostatimes.com/breaking-news/ci_27873554/longtime-livermore-lab-physicist-and-father-flywheel-dies

• Like 1

Computer scientist Valery Spinidonov, aged 30, has volunteered to be the subject of the world's first head transplant operation. I'll leave it for others to judge his chances of success.

His life-limiting diagnosis of spinal muscular atrophy is the reason he has chosen risk such pioneering surgery.

Guest awesome guest

Computer scientist Valery Spinidonov, aged 30, has volunteered to be the subject of the world's first head transplant operation. I'll leave it for others to judge his chances of success.

His life-limiting diagnosis of spinal muscular atrophy is the reason he has chosen risk such pioneering surgery.

he is a very brave man. I think it might work

The question begs where is the body coming from for his head?

I suggest they could use Bobbi Kristina Brown, "The Illinois State Vegetable". A Ruskie's head on a black girl's body! She's younger by 9 years so he should appreciate that.

Plus we'd get the added bonus of Bobby Brown coddling all over him post-op.

SirC