maryportfuncity

Scientists, Inventors And Techno Wizards

It's either this thread or the Celebrity Chefs thread - Phillip Lewis, inventor of Hedgehog Crisps, has died aged 74.

Image result for hedgehog crisps

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Physicist and DDP Pick Ron Drever has died aged 85. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-39212305

Will this be the pick that'll make Death Impends catch up to Chorizo in the Joker's Dead Pool? Stay tuned...

Theme team's having a good run so far...

(or it will once he gets a QO, as the science section of BBC doesn't count for DDP purposes, but he'll definitely get something)

Wow, that must be an omission surely from the QO's list! I assumed it was good enough in the round up!

Didn't realise there was a science subpage in the BBC news website. Doesn't matter, he'll get an obit from the inkies anyway...

On 10/04/2015 at 12:16, DevonDeathTrip said:

Computer scientist Valery Spinidonov, aged 30, has volunteered to be the subject of the world's first head transplant operation. I'll leave it for others to judge his chances of success.

His life-limiting diagnosis of spinal muscular atrophy is the reason he has chosen risk such pioneering surgery.

The doctor planning to transplant heads has revealed that a Chinese man will be the first recipient of a new body.  Spinidonov has been dropped, with no reason given.  

1 minute ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

The doctor planning to transplant heads has revealed that a Chinese man will be the first recipient of a new body.  Spinidonov has been dropped, with no reason given.  

Would you look at that, one less unnatural bonus points to worry about.

Computer scientist Robert Taylor has died aged 85. Also a veteran of Vietnam.

Deadpooling perennial Barys Kit apparently lives in Germany, I didn't know! Here's a german article on his 107th birthday from last month:

http://www.fnp.de/lokales/frankfurt/AEltester-Frankfurter-wird-107;art675,2541326

His carers say he's in good shape considering his age, and very sociable.

So yes, off with Barys Kit from my Rotten Deadpool team, and on with George Bush Sr.

Daily Mail article from last month with everything you need to know about the two women in the recent life of Sir Clive Sinclair and how he battled life-threatening illnesses last year and is now not really in control of his own life:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4394324/How-Sir-Clive-Sinclair-s-wife-pole-axed.html

On 6/5/2017 at 10:33, gcreptile said:

Jean Sammet, co-developer of programming language COBOL, dead at 89:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/04/technology/obituary-jean-sammet-software-designer-cobol.html?_r=0

She wanted a simple funeral, but the family upgraded to a Basic one.
SC

• Haha 1

France Rode at 82, invented the first pocket calculator, the HP-35 220px-HP_35_Calculator.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, charon said:

France Rode at 82, invented the first pocket calculator, the HP-35 220px-HP_35_Calculator.jpg

I'll personally bust your ass if you don't edit/attach the Kraftwerk song. As well as an active link.

SC

• Like 1

4 hours ago, charon said:

Sorry SC, Slovenian news agency Siol, 4 days ago https://english.sta.si/2396948/pocket-calculator-inventor-rode-dies

Charon I am convinced you did your due diligence.  You shall receive the highest praise at the next SC roundtable on the airing of DL grievances.
SC

You don't think I trawl (well troll) foreign news sites? BBC england gets hit quite a lot old bean chaplin.gif

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

I'll personally bust your ass if you don't edit/attach the Kraftwerk song. As well as an active link.

SC

I'll endulge.

And for Sir Creep: 

Here's an interesting mix for a dedicated Kraftwerk fan. Mixed by LeeDM101.

• Like 2

Charles P. Thacker, the father of the first computer that used a mouse in the graphical user interface died at 74.

Also, the game world owes him a massive thank you for inventing LAN and Ethernet.

• Like 1