maryportfuncity

Scientists, Inventors And Techno Wizards

Sherman R. Poppen, a man who many winter sports enthusiasts consider the father of modern snowboarding, has died, according to family members.  A Muskegon, MI native, Poppen died Wednesday, July 31, in Griffin, Georgia. He was 89 years old.

Poppen is most known for his invention of the Snurfer, a snowbound mono-ski with a string on the front similar to a toboggan. He created the contraption in his Muskegon home on Christmas Day 1965.

It was built as a simple toy to entertain his young, energetic children, who by all accounts thought it was a hit.  Seeing their joy, Poppen patented the Snurfer a year later, and the rest is history.

Including Sherman.

SC

Wikipedia says that Nikolai Kardachev, known for the Kardashev scale for measuring the advancement of civilizations, has died.

A Kardashev civilization type II is able to use the whole energy output of it's star, i.e. has built a Dyson sphere.

Not sure this information is of any use but professor / author / science journal editor Melvyn Fein has inoperable pancreatic cancer and all treatments have failed.

17 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Not sure this information is of any use but professor / author / science journal editor Melvyn Fein has inoperable pancreatic cancer and all treatments have failed.

Wont be feeling fein then!

On 04/07/2019 at 12:04, YoungWillz said:

James Lovelock is back just ahead of his 100 birthday.

Judge for yourselves if he's got another year in him: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/science-environment-48858692/james-lovelock-on-the-future-of-ai-and-climate-change

According to The New Statesman, James Lovelock is recovering from a lengthy spell of pneumonia.

• Sad 1

On 05/08/2019 at 22:40, gcreptile said:

Melvyn Fein is dead behind the paywall:

https://www.mdjonline.com/neighbor_newspapers/news/state/columnist-melvyn-fein-has-died/article_24f18aa9-9ec0-524a-9732-33a6c98b6e3b.html

1 hour ago, dean1991 said:

Arthur Fry turns 89 next year. He invented the Post-It note or sticky note as some people may call it. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Fry

I’ll make a little reminder for myself about him - know a good way to do this?

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Dead Wait said:

I’ll make a little reminder for myself about him - know a good way to do this?

That (or some version of that) was too easy and obvious.  Sad that dean1991 didn't include that in his post.  

2 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

That (or some version of that) was too easy and obvious.  Sad that dean1991 didn't include that in his post.  

It is distressing. 

• Haha 1

Lord Rees looking weak in the Lords, holding onto the bench in front of him to speak on climate change.

Lord Rees.png

• Sad 1

Yeah, he'll not really need to worry about the outcome though...:)

In a year that has been harsh to veteran computer scientists (George Felton and Conway Berners-Lee spring to mind) legendary MOS computer designer Chuck Peddle has died aged 82 (yes, the source sucks, but there are better ones available).

Legendary (and not joking here) mathematician Louis Nirenberg has died at 94.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Here is a list of surviving Abel Prize winners. These guys are incredibly longeve, almost as a group of Hong Kong councilmen.

*Jean-Pierre Serre (1926): still out and about, he was the one to announce John Tate had died last October.

*Isadore Singer (1924): longtime Michael Atiyah's collaborator and cranky old. :dead:

*Peter Lax (1926): Hungarian legend of applied mathematics.

*Lennart Carleson (1928): Swedish random old guy.

*S. R. Srinivasa Varadhan (1940)

*John G. Thompson (1932)

*Jacques Tits (1930) :dead:

*Mikhail Leonidovich Gromov (1943)

*John Milnor (1931)

*Endre Szemerédi (1940)

*Pierre Deligne (1944)

*Yakov Sinai (1935)

*Andrew Wiles (1953)

*Yves Meyer (1939)

*Robert Langlands (1936)

*Karen Uhlenbeck (1942)

Deaths till now are John Nash, Michael Atiyah, John Tate and Louis Nirenberg. Arguably the most famous of them all. Anyway, longevity is just impressive here, with 5 of them over 90 and a 13 over 80.

4 hours ago, drol said:

Here is a list of surviving Abel Prize winners. These guys are incredibly longeve, almost as a group of Hong Kong councilmen.

*Jacques Tits (1930)

You just trying to slide that one past us?  
What a great name, unless you trying to hit on a girl.  "what's your name' 'I'm mister Tits' .... and away she goes.... 
Of course if he ever married, she could be Mrs Tits.   
Also be good at a restaurant waiting list announcement.... 'Tits party of five, your table is ready'.

If Nobel Prize winners Jacques Tits and Tu YouYou married, she could be Tu Tits.

Yes I could go on and on.  

• Like 1

I heard he was a terrible surfer.  Hence the term, 'useless as Tits on a board.'

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/10/science/bruce-s-mcewen-dead.html

This death occurred in January but was underreported. I couldn't find it on here after a search so...

American scientist Dr Bruce McEwen ,whose research on stress established that stress hormones released repeatedly in the body can harm and shrink the brain and also  play a role in damaging the body  causing it to break down and experience poor health, has died aged 81.

• Like 1