maryportfuncity

Scientists, Inventors And Techno Wizards

23 minutes ago, Toast said:

I'm always baffled by the warning that an entry contains "original research". 

I know I've mentioned the time someone cited an interview I did with a person and it got deleted for being an "atrocious source" before but I'm still proud. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/04/2020 at 11:11, Ulitzer95 said:

Usual problem – not getting any coverage because, to be brutally frank, nobody gives a toss about mathematicians.

His death is causing quite a dispute on Wikipedia, with registered users in disagreement on whether to list him as dead on the Recent Deaths page or not due to lack of sources.

This is is where Wiki sadly becomes counterproductive in its usefulness. There can be thousands of tweets and multiple blog sources referring to his death, including from Twitter handles of official institutions or people prominent in his field, and yet pedantic Wiki editors will still revert the death info. The site needs to be brought into 2020 as far as sourcing is concerned.

First major English language obituary.

• Thanks 1

Report of the death of Sir John T Houghton, Welsh physicist and formerly both co-chair of the Nobel Peace Prize and DG of the Meteorological Office:

2 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Anyone (Toast?) able to read this Telegraph Obit for John H Conway and see if they mention the death of Richard K Guy? https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2020/04/16/john-horton-conway-playful-mathematician-described-magical-world/

A quote from the article would be nice.

Not a Scooby Snack in sight I’m afraid

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Anyone (Toast?) able to read this Telegraph Obit for John H Conway and see if they mention the death of Richard K Guy? https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2020/04/16/john-horton-conway-playful-mathematician-described-magical-world/

A quote from the article would be nice.

Sorry, I'm not a subscriber.  They seem to have shut the door on those of us who just "joined", because whenever I log in now I get a demand that I subscribe.  You used to get a couple of "premium" articles a week free as well, but I'm getting naff all now.

• Sad 1

The Guardian Obit for John H Conway mentions Richard Guy in passing, but does not specifically mention his death. Barring a Christmas list on a QO site, Guy's chances of Qobiting (trademarked)  are little to none.

• Like 1

Some of these nonobits these past few years are truly mind blowing...

• Like 1

George Weisz, inventor of a ventilator used against COVID-19 dead at 90:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/inventor-of-ventilator-used-for-coronavirus-george-weisz-dead-at-90-report

(Of course, everyone remotely related to the Coronavirus gets an obit and has the relation over-emphasized.)

• Like 2

Twitter reporting the death of British neuroscientist Horace Barlow aged 98. He was also the great grandson of Charles Darwin.

• Like 1

Ronald Graham, leading American mathematician, dead at 84 according to Wiki edits and non-reliable sources.

• Like 1

I've not seen a reliable obit for Ron Graham yet.

Graham was most famous for coming up with Graham's Number, the largest number to be used in a serious mathematical proof, at least at the time. The number is huge - there's not enough universe available to write the number down, or the number of digits in that number, or the number of digits in that number, or the number of digits in that number, and so on for more times than the number of atoms in the universe. 

12 hours ago, JQW said:

I've not seen a reliable obit for Ron Graham yet.

Graham was most famous for coming up with Graham's Number, the largest number to be used in a serious mathematical proof, at least at the time. The number is huge - there's not enough universe available to write the number down, or the number of digits in that number, or the number of digits in that number, or the number of digits in that number, and so on for more times than the number of atoms in the universe. 

American Mathematical Society confirmation.

On 06/07/2020 at 10:10, Ulitzer95 said:

Twitter reporting the death of British neuroscientist Horace Barlow aged 98. He was also the great grandson of Charles Darwin.

Confirmation from Trinity College, Cambridge.

James Lovelock says that he (and life on Earth) is in the final 1% of his life:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jul/18/james-lovelock-the-biosphere-and-i-are-both-in-the-last-1-per-cent-of-our-lives

So, a 101-year old man in his final 1%. Can we take it literally?

• Like 1

R. Stephen Berry, know mainly for Berry's pseudorotation (mechanism of interconversion between two trigonal pyramids, and I guarantee isolating that damned intermediate square-based pyramid is fucking hard), has died at 89.

• Like 1

Bill English, co-inventor of the mouse, has died aged 91.

• Like 2

Digital Imaging pioneer Russell Kirsch has died aged 91. 

He scanned this image, of his son Walden in 1957, and is credited with inventing the pixel.

• Like 2

Bob Gore, inventor of Gore-Tex has died aged 83

• Shocked 1