Guest JimH

Rikki Fulton

Guest JimH

I know it's easy to be wise after the event but how was a 79 year old with Alzheimer's disease missed?

Scottish comedian and actor...apparently

I, for one, would have had have him failing the famousness test so I dont count that a missed opportunity.

a) Alzheimer's is not a killer - the USA's greatest ever President is testimony to that

b ) Even I've never heard of him - who was he?

c) Don't care today

Nice try Stats - but Im afraid Cowboy Ronnie remains the king of the harsh postings!

Guest Daniel
I know it's easy to be wise after the event but how was a 79 year old with Alzheimer's disease missed?

:)

Guest Disgusted

It shows that none of you are scottish.he was one of the funniest comedians on tv and film.Belt up

Guest Also disgusted
It shows that none of you are scottish.he was one of the funniest comedians on tv and film.Belt up

I agree with the quote. The fact that none of you lot have heard of him, says more about you than it does about Rikki. You people are trying to be funny....whereas Rikki was funny.

RIP Rikki Fulton

After further review it does seem that he got fairly high profle obituaries in Guardian, Times etc and is well covered on BBC website so perhpas should have been considered as famous enough to appear on the list.

However, the only question being discussed was whether he was a missed death prediction...and not whether he was a top comedian or not. So "Disgusteds" I think you got the wrong end of the stick.

I was going to add "Im sure he never heard of me and look how funny I am" but luckily I decided against it :lol:

This is just another classic example of BBC1 regional variations - is it not?

10.00 EastEnders, BBC3

Mickey drops a bombshell on the Ferreiras, Janine is devastated when Ricky severs his ties to her, and Nana puts her foot down with Kat and Alfie.

(Regional variation; Scotland: The Rikki Fulton Show)

Guest cuJim

I thought the Scots were famed for their good sense of humor - the legendary craic?

Guest Guest

It is not a question of whether He (Rikki Fulton) was famous or not, neither is it important that we Scots like Craic - actually attributed to the Irish!

What is important, is the fact that Rikki was an institution to many Scots and others for his contribution to comedy, straight roles amongst his many other talents. He worked with Frank Sinatra, remember him the famous Hollywood Actor/Singer and associated by rumour with the mob!

What you guys have to remember, is that Rikki was loved not only by many Scots and Northern Irish, but by many from the North of England too. More importantly, he was loved, neigh adored by his dear wife Kate - who will have to live with the anguish of losing her partner, friend and soul mate.

It is easy and cheap to write degrading material here, behind faceless anonymity. Yes, the poor man had dementia of the worse kind, but let's see how smart some of you are with your memories in 10 years time, more or less!

Let's see how you would like to read on forums such as this, cheap and nasty comments about your loved ones, that is, if you are human of course! If you knew anything about the pain and suffering the family of someone with dementia has to endure, you would perhaps not be so quick to try and get a cheap laugh!

Yes, I was a Rikki fan. Yes, I met him several times and unlike the big stars, with flash cars and egos to match - Rikki was a gentleman, with dignity, courtesy and a heart to match. Something many of you who write degrading remarks will never know the meaning of these words.

As for me, I was proud to stand at the roadside and say Goodbye to Mr Hogmannay, Rikki Fulton! There are few like him and he WILL be sorely missed, by his fans who loved him and his wife who adored him!

So in his immortal words, "Away an boil yer simmet."

Guest Another guest

I agree wholeheartedly with the post above.

Rikki was an exceptionally funny man and will be sadly missed in Scotland. Hogmanay will never be the same again.

Wow, those Scots are a maudlin bunch aren't they. I suppose it's due to the crappy weather, crappy football, crappy bands etc.

The point of this site is, it's interesting when people die, as my fellow Californian Don Henley once sang, so long as we've heard of 'em.

Rikki Who? That's not that guy out of that crazy Office show that stole the Golden Globe from Joey from Friends, is it?

Guest Guest

Thanks to the Scots - you , xenphobic Americans with over inflated self belief and intent on world domination, would not have had television, pneumatic tyres, tarmacadam roads, penicillin, just a few things to mention. O and was it not the Scots, who brought civilisation to the new settlers of America? Not maudlin, they are simply respectful of those who have gone on, another product of Presbyterian Scotland. Course, someone in California would have difficulty with that notion! I am not even Scottish! Thankfully, I am not American either if that's the way you guys think!

Chill, McBro, I wasn't saying Scots are bad people, just that some of them appear to be getting overly flustered about the passing of a 79 year old gent who presumably lead a long and full life. Hogmany (what is that, exactly) will never be the same because someone reached the end of the (tarmacadam) road? Seems a bit dramatic.

And we'd have come up with those inventions anyway, probably just have done them a little better.......

Guest Guest

Hogmannay or Hogmanay is New Year's Eve in Scotland, the 31st of December. In Scotland this would be bigger than St Patrick's Day, which is predominately celebrated (as it appears via our news reports in New York).

Many years ago, Scotland placed great emphasis on the celebration of the approaching new year. The New Year, brought new hopes, dreams and ambitions. It was a great time of merriment and laughter, sharing moments with family and friends. It was quite typical for large families to gather in the host's home (usually, but not always the paternal parents) and welcome in 'The Bells.' A throwback to the years when Scottish Churches, indeed British Churches would ring their bells to symbolise Good News - Important News or even distress!

Traditions vary from region to region, but some of them included a 'first foot' usually the first person to enter the home after the stroke of midnight. Typical tradition, required that this person be 'tall, dark and handsome'. They would enter the house with their right hand outstretched and with their right foot carrying a lump of coal, a bottle of whisky or some other gift. Black Bun and Shortbread were favourites too - black bun in some instances being a fruit type cake.

Many of these 'Hogmanay' parties would last right through to the next day, going on well into the morning, with a recess for sleep, breakfast/lunch and continuing the into the next night, depending on the families and their traditions. Whereas in England, it was quite typical to bring in the new year and disband shortly after, as the case was very much the English put more emphasis on Christmas and Boxing Day (St Stephen's Day).

Nowadays the old traditions of Scotland's hogmanay celebrations appear to be echoing those of England, with very few people appearing at your door. Indeed, it was a time when complete strangers could be found entering into someone's house and being made welcome, such was the proud abd hospititable manner of the Scot.

With reference to the previous posts about Rikki Fulton, yes it is easy to become bewildered by his status of that of nearly a demi-God. However, for over 18 years, Rikki entertained Scots with his comedy antics and his humour was very representative of the indeginous Scot. It is something that you have to see for yourself, as much of his comedy was visual. He created charachters such as the Rev'd IM Jolly - a man whose lugubrious manner, created much hilarity because there were/are ministers/pastors around who were so like this comedy figure. Scotland is a nation, which at times can be deeply divided on it's views of religion. A throwback to the Reformation! This comic minister, embodied very much the pathetic humourless folks in the Ministry. In one of his sketches, he tells the story of a woman who writes to him, telling him that her life is so bad, etc, etc. She concludes by saying she would have commited suicide from a famous Scottish bridge, but she did not have the bus fare. He responded by sending her the bus fare. It is that kind of humour, which we will sorely miss. As Rikki was able to unite all factions, with his humour. He captured Scottish people, who have an amazing ability to laugh at themselves and not take themselves seriously. His other creations were Supercop, the Gallowgate Gourmet, plus many more. I strongly recommend that you try and obtain a copy of his work, via Amazon.com

Whilst, we have the ability to laugh at ourselves, you must respect that for many Scots, not all. Rikki Fulton made us laugh in moments of sadness. He brought joy to thousands and was respected for being a thoroughly decent man. Yes many adored him and there is a sense of fairness in Scotland that still prevails, we do not like people having a go at someone who is no longer here to defend themselves. Whilst we accept criticism, many of us believe that there is a time and a place and doing so on the internet so quickly after his death, was nothing more than crass and cruel - to his memory.

Yes, I know of people who did not much care for Rikki, and there are generations who know nothing of him now. However for the younger generation, they have missed out and for us older ones, we have a lasting legacy of laughter and sheer joy at the man. He was simply one of the best entertainers the WORLD has ever seen! Equivilant to, Phil Silvers and better than Jim Carry, honestly.

Rikki was an Icon and whilst this piece has been extraordinarily lengthy, please just take a wee moment to think about any crass comments, as he was only cremated on Tuesday 3rd of February. You never know who may read this site!

We can laugh, we are maudlin and we can laugh at ourselves, but thankfully when it comes to death, there are some of us who still maintain respect.

Please try and get a hold of his videos, 'Scotch and Wry' or Francie and Josie, the latter perhaps being too difficult for you to understand, not because of your intelligence but because of the cultural variations in comedy and our language, which is so different in areas, particularly Glasgow and West of Scotland.

I would even try to help you obtain this, if possible!

Respect!

T Wilson

Guest Guest

Rikki always appeared at 10:40 or 11:20 on Hogmanay - his show would be screened by the BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation) Scotland.

That's why he was loved and that's why he is Mr Hogmanay!

As to the previous post - make a wee note of this, the black bun or coal was not carried on the foot, but in the left hand. It just read that way.

Rikki's pals were

Rev IM Jolly

Charlie MacLinchey - the cheeky, wide glasgow rogue.

Gallowgate Gourmet - a filthy, dirty and unhygienic chef, who smoked!

Supercop - stupid beyond words, whose opening words were always, "Oot the caur Sterling". A reference to Sterling Moss, the racing driver.

There were sketches of Red Indians - going to the jobcentre (American equiv?)

Plus many, many more.

See that's why we a'w loved 'im!

Hey you pal, dae ye dae hame deliveries?

Aye, sure we do.

Well in that case, gonna tak me hame.

Ask, we will tell you!

In the interest of balance I'd like to point out that while Cowboy Ronnie is indeed a xenophobic American, I am a xenophobic Frenchman.

Hope that clears something up

Id like to think there will be as much fuss as this when Clive Dunn finally departs

Guest Guest
I thought the Scots were famed for their good sense of humor - the legendary craic?

craic is irish dumbo

Guest eccose

its true rikki fulton is one of the greatest scottish commedians. billy connoly has nothing on rikki. im sure you guys have forgot about francie and josie he done allong side jack mallroy (also passed away) which was my 2nd favourate show (scotch and wry being number 1) if he is a noone just do a search on him on www.bbc.co.uk and im sure you will find lots of info. He was the master of acting drunk if any fellow scots remember from either scotch and wry or doubble scotch and wry the sketch of him trying to tell the joke in the pub or the scene in the maternity ward mistaken for a tandouri take away. scotish commedy is very dull without him with the ecxeption of ford kearning and gregg hemphills still game and chewing the fat. still game may be shown in engl;and some time shortley.