Phantom

Your Least Impressive Celebrity Encounters

Had a couple of pints with Glen Matlock after he'd finishing rehearsing one evening. Rat Scabies was drumming but he had to go home.

DWB :lol:

I met Glen Matlock when he was on tour with Hugh Cornwell and Clem Burke, it was at a bar called Nick & Eddie which closed down about a month after their gig. Glen and Clem went out for a smoke and got themselves locked out of the venue, the owner sent me round to the door with the keys to let them in and we ended up having a smoke and a chat with Glen about when he was touring with Robert Gordon.

I call security and tell them a lady is at the reference desk, explain her problem, and they ask what her name is, so I ask her and she says (in a condescending YOU DON"T KNOW WHO I AM? tone), 'I am Anita Baker'.

Who's Anita Baker?regards,Hein

Here maybe you can bone up on your contemporary pop artists for Christ sake. 5 Platinum albums I'll assume ONE copy of the goddamn things sold in Holland. 8 Grammys I dunno maybe I retrospect you heard of her. Jesus ....

SC

"Anita Denise Baker (born January 26, 1958)[1] is an American singer-songwriter.....Baker eventually released her first solo album, The Songstress, in 1983. In 1986, she rose to stardom following the release of her platinum-selling second album, Rapture, which included the Grammy-winning single "Sweet Love". <b>To date, Baker has won eight Grammy Awards and has five platinum albums <\b>and one gold album to her credit."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anita_Baker

I'd never heard of her either.

Anita Baker has had one (1) top-50 charting single in the UK (No. 15 with Sweet Love, 1986). That's as many as Joe Dolce. (Sorry, not up on the Dutch charts)

So, irrespective of how many Grammy's yada, yada, yada, she's just not that famous this side of the pond.

Not heard of her either until now. Can't say I've heard any of her songs on the radio, but then again the stuff I listen to, you probably wouldn't have heard of either SC.

I have a celebrity encounter though it was a cool experience. I met Bryan Adams in the Spring of 1986 while working at a bakery. He came in regularly for about six weeks. He was so friendly and always asked how my mum was (she was very sick with cancer and did pass away in December 1986) doing. My mum was convinced that he was going to fall in love with and marry me. I thought she was crazy.

We (Bryan and I) argued over music and the CRTC Canadian content ruling. I told him I didn't need to buy his records just turn on the radio. I was a bold 19 year old and into punk rock at the time.

One visit he announced that he was heading to the UK for a few months to continue working on the album (my guess is it was Into the Fire). I asked for his autograph explaining that I needed proof to back up that I did actually meet him. He threw a fit. Shouted that he thought I was different. It took a few seconds to realise he was teasing me. I got the autograph and one heck of a story for the grandkids someday. :)

*I tried to attach a picture of the autograph from my photobucket account but the image extension was not allowed. :(

Seen as we're doing this metaphorical cock-waving of the celeb I might is better than yours I'll through my proverbial one inch warrior into the debate:

I once walked past Lawrence Llewelyn-Bowen in an art gallery.

Discounting seeing players walking around the venue or in the stands (which is normal at snooker events and would be beyond tenuous to include - especially as I normally go to cheap early rounds), I also had a piss next to a z list snooker player I didn't recognise at the UK Championships.

I realise neither of these are actual meetings, but they are encounters.

Seen as we're doing this metaphorical cock-waving of the celeb I might is better than yours I'll through my proverbial one inch warrior into the debate:

I once walked past Lawrence Llewelyn-Bowen in an art gallery.

Discounting seeing players walking around the venue or in the stands (which is normal at snooker events and would be beyond tenuous to include - especially as I normally go to cheap early rounds), I also had a piss next to a z list snooker player I didn't recognise at the UK Championships.

I realise neither of these are actual meetings, but they are encounters.

I once had a piss next to well-known professional darts player (who's name escapes me, but he is well-established PDC player).

Just in response to maryportfuncity and Phantom, I agree with you both. Beadle might be remembered by the vast majority as a bit of a TV third rater, but he was incredibly intelligent, his curiosity about life made it all the more sad when he departed. Same with Danny Baker (very much alive), if I was as smart as he is I'd be a w*nker too if asked to interview folks on make up tips. I guess until we start giving TV a bit more respect and placing our celebs more accurately with their talent, we shall denude them of proper heartfelt thanks for their talent (too many so called celebs now have neither talent or ability and grace our screens for no other reason than being in the right place/family/religion/class bracket etc.).

Some of the folks on Gogglebox have more talent than some who may appear on obituaries of the famous. And I don't mean to degrade those on Gogglebox, btw, there's genuine talent there.

• Like 1

Just discovered this thread, so I'll add my list:

Met Rikki Fulton whilst getting him to sign a video (yes kids, it was a while ago), most rude and obnoxious person I have had the displeasure to meet.

Was on various game shows and met the following:

Jeremy Beadle - lovely and genuine.

Richard Madeley - huge hands, well once you've shaken with Jeremy, I guess they're all huge. Like grain scoops. He was fun, it was before his morning tv gig with Judy.

William G Stewart - yes I was on 15 to 1 too!

Paul Coia - quite famous locally, colour blind y'know.

Couple of Nolans - lovely girls.

Danny Baker - just the same on and off screen, liked him muchly.

Paul Ross - nicer than his brother appears to be.

Also had outdoor congress with a Scottish comedy actor, who is now passed away (not as a result of said congress), I'll let him rest in peace.

Had my photo taken with Mick Foley of WWE, sadly missed William Regal when he was in town last November.

I met and chatted with the late and lamented Mr Beadle a couple of times and was mightily impressed. The context was meeting at Fortean Times Unconventions - i.e. conferences on all manner of paranormal stuff - and Beadle had amassed a massive private library of tomes on the various topics under discussion, something he could hold forth on with authority and a fair degree of insight and humour.

I always thought he was a bit of a cunt, but if you rate him then he must be at least half a good egg.

I've met loads of motorbike riders, but nobody will know who I'm on about so I won't bother listing them.

I've met loads of motorbike riders, but nobody will know who I'm on about so I won't bother listing them.

Is it true about the flies in their teeth?

• Like 1

Met Rikki Fulton whilst getting him to sign a video (yes kids, it was a while ago), most rude and obnoxious person I have had the displeasure to meet.

Richard Madeley - huge hands, well once you've shaken with Jeremy, I guess they're all huge. Like grain scoops. He was fun, it was before his morning tv gig with Judy.

Also had outdoor congress with a Scottish comedy actor, who is now passed away (not as a result of said congress), I'll let him rest in peace.

Had my photo taken with Mick Foley of WWE, sadly missed William Regal when he was in town last November.

I met and chatted with the late and lamented Mr Beadle a couple of times and was mightily impressed. The context was meeting at Fortean Times Unconventions - i.e. conferences on all manner of paranormal stuff - and Beadle had amassed a massive private library of tomes on the various topics under discussion, something he could hold forth on with authority and a fair degree of insight and humour.

I always thought he was a bit of a cunt, but if you rate him then he must be at least half a good egg.

If their moto gp riders i might!

Other disciplines are inferior.

If their moto gp riders i might!

Other disciplines are inferior.

I wholeheartedly disagree. You are saying that people that ride the TT, or even the British Superbike Championship, are inferior to MotoGP riders? Sidecar racers are inferior? Have you ever watched any of the other disciplines? Please take a moment to rethink your post, and feel free to come back and admit that it was a ridiculous statement to make.

• Like 1

The T.T. looks like its a piece of film that's been speeded up to me when you see the parts in town and near walls. I'm nowhere near qualified to know about the outright talent v. moto gp but the sheer size of the balls required to ride that course at those speeds means they must be hidden in a special receptacle in the seat somewhere. Offhand I can only think of perhaps base jumping as a faster way to meet your maker due to participation in a 'sport'.

• Like 1

Not sure if this thread is for the ‘least impressive celebrity’ ENCOUNTER, or LEAST IMPRESSIVE CELEBRITY ‘encounter’.

[clearly it’s the former, but I need a place to post this, so I’m conveniently interpreting it as the latter].

Came across this 1-person graveyard in the middle of the woods, on a side slope of a hill trailing down to a stream.  Pretty cool/odd/interesting.  Frederick Bloman was apparently a local judge (grave is in Farmington, MI) for around 18 months, so my offering as my least impressive celebrity (encounter).

SirC

(Edit: Found THIS cool article speculating the likelihood that those are Pewabic Pottery tiles (!) on his grave.  Also tells a story of a character-turned-judge.  Awesome stuff).

91CD3A93-5137-4B2E-9E79-BC4C1252C1B9.jpeg

56EE3DD9-A8D6-4B74-9A6C-93D177BE2C23.jpeg

• Like 2

^^ Well, this does remind me that I once saw former german TV host Patrice (Bouédibéla) while I was working in a Cologne music store.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrice_Bouédibéla

He was once in a relationship with US singer Anastacia (of breast cancer fame). Last TV appearance was apparently in 2014. It was unimpressive in every sense of the word.

I think I already told though, that at the same gig, I saw Kraftwerk original member Florian Schneider there as well. Unsurprisingly, they both wanted to buy electronic music instruments.

23 hours ago, gcreptile said:

^^ Well, this does remind me that I once saw former german TV host Patrice (Bouédibéla) while I was working in a Cologne music store.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrice_Bouédibéla

He was once in a relationship with US singer Anastacia (of breast cancer fame). Last TV appearance was apparently in 2014. It was unimpressive in every sense of the word.

I think I already told though, that at the same gig, I saw Kraftwerk original member Florian Schneider there as well. Unsurprisingly, they both wanted to buy electronic music instruments.

Well it's not like they were going in to buy a trumpet and a tambourine, was it.

• Haha 1

A top contender for my least-impressive celebrity encounter is barely an encounter, so unimpressive is it! Some years ago, as I was walking homeward through Brighton town centre, I passed someone I vaguely recognised but couldn't place. Former colleague, ex-customer, old darts opponent - could have been anyone. The penny dropped as I saw a poster advertising the current presentation at the nearby Theatre Royal, starring Simon Callow.

35 minutes ago, time said:

A top contender for my least-impressive celebrity encounter is barely an encounter, so unimpressive is it! Some years ago, as I was walking homeward through Brighton town centre, I passed someone I vaguely recognised but couldn't place. Former colleague, ex-customer, old darts opponent - could have been anyone. The penny dropped as I saw a poster advertising the current presentation at the nearby Theatre Royal, starring Simon Callow.

Ah yes, that's very similar to an experience I once had.  My former line of work meant that I was often accosted by people who remembered me and expected me to remember them.  I rarely did, so I would tactfully fake it.  I saw someone who looked like he was about to speak to me (in fact he was looking at something behind me) and as I was about to smile and say hello I realised it was Bill Waddington aka "Percy Sugden" from Coronation Street.   :rolleyes:

On 17/09/2018 at 07:39, Spade_Cooley said:

Julie Burchill once asked me where the Quavers were in a branch of Tesco Express.

1 hour ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Well it's not like they were going in to buy a trumpet and a tambourine, was it.

Funnily, and it's very unexpected, Florian Schneider's "original" instrument was the flute:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/may/07/florian-schneider-obituary

You can hear him play on Kraftwerk's earliest albums, also on the Autobahn album IIRC.

• Like 1

On 27/02/2015 at 21:06, time said:

I once had a piss next to well-known professional darts player (who's name escapes me, but he is well-established PDC player).

It was Peter Evison (Thanks Pointless!).

• Like 2

I sat about 2m away from Jeff Astle (formerly of WBA, England and bad singing on Skinner and Baddiel's Fantasy Football programme) on a cross-channel ferry in 1973.

Also met

Denise Lewis ca 1995, nice as well as gorgeous

Sally Carr (Middle of the Road) 1972, she was stunning and sweet, I was nearly 10 and enraptured

Peter Osgood

Ivan Mauger (6 x world speedway champion)

Kenny Andrews of the Darts (doo wop band of late 70s/early 80s)

Several Rubettes

David Steel (Liberal leader)

Most memorable, I was pulled onto the stage and very pleasurably groped by Tracie Young (of The House that Jack Built fame) at a gig in the early 80s. I was sufficiently inspired to invest in her current single 'I love you when you sleep' the following day, which purchase propelled it from no 55 up to its peak of 53 in the charts the following week. That was her last hit....she was about 19 at the time.

• Like 1

Bruce Springsteen lay down on my arm once.  He didn't acknowledge me though.  <_<

• Shocked 1

Used to have the occasional drink with Bruce Jones (Bruce Battersby) from Coronation Street down at my local, nice normal bloke bit of a drink problem but didn't we all back in the day when the funds allowed.

Was also at some of Prefab Sprouts first gigs in Durham before they had learnt to play their instruments. Good times when the mixture of happy hour Guiness and Special Brew were welcome, 1982, 5 pints for three pounds, life was tough for a student then. 

Nick Knowles was filming at my place of employ about four years ago; we spoke, shook hands, and the production crew left me with a weeks supply of crisps and soft drinks. 

If you're quick you can see the top of my head at one point.

Once had a frisson with Tom Rosenthal. I say frisson, we were at a comedy club and chatted for a couple of mins at the bar, we were both quite tipsy and he’s straight. But near enough. He’s a lovely guy.

I actually have quite a few famous brief encounters because I live in London and made several visits to the USA (mostly Seattle and Florida)

Some of the encounters I remember

Zerkaa (The Sidemen). Pretty sure the guy was drunk when I encountered him so did not bother.

Sporty Spice (Mel C). Not as bad as an encounter as you would think. Had a brief chat with her then we went our separate ways.

Kiwi cricketer Ross Taylor during the Kiwi's tour of England in 2015. Pretty cool guy to have a conversation with.

Another cricketer, Alex Hales. Had a nice brief chat with him.

Also encountered Newcastle captain Jamaal Lascelles, again he seemed like a nice guy and I quickly said hello to him.

Kenny Baker (R2D2). Encountered him couple of years before his death in London. Just an awesome guy, had a great conservation with him and talked about Star Wars and R2D2 stuff (obviously). Definitely my favorite encounter on the list.

I also had really, really brief encounters with Matt Helders (Arctic Monkeys) and George Russell (the racing driver), as in I saw them from a distance.

If your interested in BGT. Might as well make it known that Marc Spelmann is a distant family friend and I have met him twice, pretty cool guy to hang out with actually.

• Like 1