Phantom

Your Least Impressive Celebrity Encounters

I took my O level English Language a year early and I was one of only 2 students to get a grade A !

The other one was Banshees Scream....

I met Sir Edward "Weary" Dunlop years ago - he attended all the "aristos" at a private hospital where I used to work...helluve nice bloke...

I've been on Countdown. Dictionary Dell was inhabited by the fragrant Jenny Hanley.

Ex Great Britain Rugby League International Gary Schofield used to come into my business to buy gear oil for his 4x4. He now lives next door to one of my van drivers randomly.....

Also one night late Christmas shopping I turned into an arcade off Briggate in Leeds and walked smack into Fabrizio Ravanelli, tell you what, he had a right pair of stunners with him, I didn't make a fuss, just gave him a knowing wink....

My dad sold a car to Roger Cook once, and said he was a right tosser. Also, fat sweaty snooker player Stephen Lee came into my chip shop once, as I am in the unfortunate position of living in the same town as he, and he's a git as well. I have met Richard Branson many times, and found him a perfectly pleasant person.

I once shared a cab with Jimmy Hill. He was interesting and quite charming. And his chin is much bigger than it looks on TV.

i met George Best in a bar in 1995, in the wembley Hilton bar actually, just after Everton beat Man Utd 1-0. he was drunk. bless his little liver.

also i know Neneh Cherry. which i guess is better than once meeting a drunk.

I shared a bowl of chips with Daley Thompson once at a Leeds United match. Top bloke. Leeds won.

I shared a bowl of chips with Daley Thompson once at a Leeds United match. Top bloke. Leeds won.

He owes me, and everyone else of my generation, a new Spectrum keyboard.

And speaking of Leeds matches, I once stood behind James Lowes in the Revie Stand during a Champions League match against either AC Milan or Barcelona. Ah, them were t'days.

Have I done my Frank Bruno and Anne Charleston almost hit-n-run stories yet?

I met T. Cullen Davis when I was in high school, not too long after her was acquitted of killing his stepdaughter and a former basketball player.

It was a typical Texas story of money, divorce, drugs, murder and high powered defense attorneys. You can read about it here if you're interested. Long article though.

The best justice money could buy.

And speaking of Leeds matches, I once stood behind James Lowes in the Revie Stand during a Champions League match against either AC Milan or Barcelona. Ah, them were t'days.

Have I done my Frank Bruno and Anne Charleston almost hit-n-run stories yet?

You used your keyboard to play Decathlon? I had one on the joystick packs that attached at the back of the Spectrum and used my old joysticks from the Atari

The Ausssie cricket thread reminds me that I have twice faced Test match bowlers at cricket and in each case scored runs and didn't get out to them.

So all of yesterday I was out directing logistics for our college's music festival, Rock N' Roosevelt, which culminated with the headlining act: The Format. All sprightly young chaps who'll live out the next half a century just fine unless something unfortunate happens of course, but it was an interesting meet nonetheless. Aside from co-ordinating things for them backstage, I also got to collect autographs at their meet and greet. Nothing exciting for the UK members, but thought I'd mention it anyhow and introduce some of the newer members to this thread.

:angry: - I still suffer the sore digits to this very day!

I've been lucky enough to spot (and obtain signatures from) a few famous names from the world of motorsport, who I've met at some GP's / national race meets:

Murray Walker (Spanish GP, 1999) - spotted walking behind the main grandstand...

Juan Pablo Montoya (Spanish GP, 2003) - spotted at the Williams stand...

Nigel Mansell (BTCC @ Knockhill, 2006) - spotted in his sons' pit garages for the Formula BMW support races...

Colin McRae (BTCC @ Knockhill, 2006) - spotted on his way to the Porsche motorhome, for whom he was guesting in a support race...

I also remember seeing Dustin Gee (Les Dennis' former comedy partner) walking about in Blackpool many years ago, while on holiday with my folks.

I've been on Match of The Day ... the camera zoomed in on me & my friend while we were waiting for a Liverpool v Manchester City match to start.

I've been on Countdown.

Did you win?

More to the point, are you Carol Vorderman?

It was your mention of your wilting flaps in the DL Secrets thread that has aroused my suspicions...

Cheers,

BHB

I've been on Countdown.

Did you win?

More to the point, are you Carol Vorderman?

It was your mention of your wilting flaps in the DL Secrets thread that has aroused my suspicions...

Cheers,

BHB

Or you're Des Lynham, Des being short for Desdemona?

Amongst other things no doubt, you smutty minded young man.

Not an insult, just an observation. :blink:

Sadly (or maybe luckily) I am neither Carol Vorderman, nor Des Lynam, and nor did I win. I was soundly thrashed by an old bloke who eventually was that series runner-up. However this was more than made up for by the fact that out of my first selection, you could make the word wank.

Sadly (or maybe luckily) I am neither Carol Vorderman, nor Des Lynam, and nor did I win. I was soundly thrashed by an old bloke who eventually was that series runner-up. However this was more than made up for by the fact that out of my first selection, you could make the word wank.

Were you perchance on this episode?

countdown.jpg

countdown.jpg

I don't think so, Carol definitely wasn't wearing pink that day. :blink:

Guest :banghead:

:blink:

Ah, the single-emoticon post. A modern classic...