Phantom

Your Least Impressive Celebrity Encounters

Ah, the single-emoticon post. A modern classic...

As said by another modern classic...the unregistered poster! :blink:

I thought I would let the DL community know that I, weatherman90, am set to meet Barry Manilow himself next year. We purchased the "platinum package" at the Las Vegas Hilton which to my surprise includes a chat/autograph session with Mr. Manilow. I will be sure to post photos and/or any other stories from my trip when I get back (it is still "Somewhere Down the Road", but I had to let all of you know about this exciting news.)

Maybe I should have him autograph the DL logo?

Sadly (or maybe luckily) I am neither Carol Vorderman, nor Des Lynam, and nor did I win. I was soundly thrashed by an old bloke who eventually was that series runner-up. However this was more than made up for by the fact that out of my first selection, you could make the word wank.
Was that before, during or after the show was filmed?

(silence)

Moving on; to keep talking wank (I find this quite easy), wasn't there once an episode where both contestants actually gave the word 'w*nker' as their answer and got their 6 valuable points for it? So you could say they both pulled it off.....

What a very picky swear filter we have here.

I thought I would let the DL community know that I, weatherman90, am set to meet Barry Manilow himself next year. We purchased the "platinum package" at the Las Vegas Hilton which to my surprise includes a chat/autograph session with Mr. Manilow. I will be sure to post photos and/or any other stories from my trip when I get back (it is still "Somewhere Down the Road", but I had to let all of you know about this exciting news.)

I sense pride in this statement, I hope you sense no envy in my reply because there is none. :)

My mum used to play Manilow stuff to death around the house a lot when I was little; I grew up presuming he was much more popular (not to be confused with successful) in the UK than he actually was i.e. most people know a handful of his songs and women of a 'certain age' (i.e. my mum's age) would pass out, throw knickers at him or generally go hysterical at his concerts. He was successful, granted, but not to the level that I should get the "Somewhere down the road" lyrics gag, which I think was only an album track in the UK. :(

Lyrics: -

'I write the songs that make the whole world sing,

I write the songs of love and special things'

Possibly ran out of ideas there?

'The Bermuda Tri-an-gle, it makes people dis-ap-pear,

The Bermuda Tri-an-gle, don't go too near (don't go too near)'

Sound advice indeed.

No 'I wonder how to interpret his multi-layered lyrical musings?' questions raging across the internet I should think. And no, I didn't have to look up those lyrics on Google and I've not heard either song for the best part (in every sense) of 20 years...

And, Take That were rightly floundering until they re-recorded 'Could it be Magic?'; turned them from breakdancing lycra wearing fruit-fighting homo-erotic video producing losers into superstars, paving the way for every single f*cking boyband since, and the career or one R. Williams. He could have just said no, like the Grange Hill cast would have done. And did.

My main claim to fame if I were to meet Mr Manilow would be similar to Mark Chapman's claim to fame relating to John Lennon.

To quote the great Bazza once more, there'd be "blood and a single gunshot". Well, maybe not a single gunshot.... :)

I clearly have unresolved issues here that I was unaware of until about 1/2 hour ago. Crikey.

I clearly have unresolved issues here that I was unaware of until about 1/2 hour ago. Crikey.

Oh yeah. I'm sending you my emergency benzo prescription.

I interviewed Barry Manilow when I was in high school for my high school paper. He's a very nice man. I'm not a huge fan - although there are a couple of songs of his I like - but he was very nice to me and I was very nervous.

Sadly (or maybe luckily) I am neither Carol Vorderman, nor Des Lynam, and nor did I win. I was soundly thrashed by an old bloke who eventually was that series runner-up. However this was more than made up for by the fact that out of my first selection, you could make the word wank.

Was that before, during or after the show was filmed?

(silence)

Moving on; to keep talking wank (I find this quite easy), wasn't there once an episode where both contestants actually gave the word 'w*nker' as their answer and got their 6 valuable points for it? So you could say they both pulled it off.....

What a very picky swear filter we have here.

I'm not sure if they got the points or not but I think this is what you're looking for. Scroll down a bit

http://www.ukgameshows.com/page/index.php/Countdown

I sense pride in this statement, I hope you sense no envy in my reply because there is none. :)

My mum used to play Manilow stuff to death around the house a lot when I was little; I grew up presuming he was much more popular (not to be confused with successful) in the UK than he actually was i.e. most people know a handful of his songs and women of a 'certain age' (i.e. my mum's age) would pass out, throw knickers at him or generally go hysterical at his concerts. He was successful, granted, but not to the level that I should get the "Somewhere down the road" lyrics gag, which I think was only an album track in the UK. :(

I am sure that by the time young weatherman90 gets to my age he will have moved on from male singers with flowing blond locks and sequinned jackets.

I should have explained the whole Barry Manilow thing better. When I came here almost 3 years ago, I was quite vocal about my devotion to Barry Manilow - which most members considered odd since I was a 13 year old male at the time. It's sort of a running joke.

It was your mention of your wilting flaps in the DL Secrets thread that has aroused my suspicions...
Amongst other things no doubt, you smutty minded young man.

Not an insult, just an observation. :(

Ah, TLC, I fear you know me too well...

Cheers,

BHB

Are any actual famous people members of the DL, or just those that have had brushes with fame?

I suppose the closest I've come is winning an edition of Fifteen to One and shaking Bill G Stewart's gnarled hand.

Are any actual famous people members of the DL, or just those that have had brushes with fame?

I suppose the closest I've come is winning an edition of Fifteen to One and shaking Bill G Stewart's gnarled hand.

Hasn't one of the members actually been on a past list? I could have sworn I read somewhere there's a famous member on here.

Not really a claim to fame, but I got to see this from the window of my house. Like the ghoul I am, I caught a good picture of it flaring up too.

I should have explained the whole Barry Manilow thing better. When I came here almost 3 years ago, I was quite vocal about my devotion to Barry Manilow - which most members considered odd since I was a 13 year old male at the time. It's sort of a running joke.

So you're saying you are no longer male? Good on you, mate, be yourself, I say!

Turns out I am a relative of Christian Watt.

You've probably never heard of her - she is of local fame.

Her claim to fame amounts to the fact that she wrote memoirs.

Her other claims to fame amount to having a page on wikipedia, and having a street names after her.

Having now said that, let the defacing begin...

Her other claims to fame amount to having a page on wikipedia, and having a street names after her.

Watt street? :lol:

Watt street? :lol:

:lol:

Christian Watt Drive. In the new parts of town.

My claim to fame is that I was practically the only Conservative to fail to win a seat in the May English Local Elections :lol:

Having bought her papers, I can safely say that we have not much in common:

"After Royalty came Deeside was ruined. The rich came and built huge palaces to try to outshine Easter Balmoral. Some of the ha' houses were very grand. In our fisher dress a group of us stoof by the roadside near Crathie. The Queen came by; she looked so sour you could have hung a jug on her mouth. The carriage stopped and Prince Albert came down and spoke to us. He was very pleasant. The Prince of Wales was a bonnie loon then; nobody would have thought he would turn out the foul bawdy man he did".

(D. Fraser, ed., The Christian Watt Papers, (Edinburgh 2004), p43)

Shouldn't have expected any better. Her grandmother (my great great great great great grandmother) was Helen Lascelles, a Jacobite sympathiser. :crossbone:

I should probably put this in the books thread given that I don't go there often...

My claim to fame is that I was practically the only Conservative to fail to win a seat in the May English Local Elections :lol:

Are you Boris Johnson? I'm not sure if he won a seat or not & I certainly can't be arsed to look it up, but I really like the idea that you might be Boris.

I like Boris, he should be PM. Hacky for Number 10!

A failed Tory, eh? It just goes to show, you don't know who you're rubbing shoulders with on here.

So, any disgraced politicians or peers about? Archer? Aitken? C'mon you old tosspots, announce your presence.

Cheers,

BHB

Sadly I'm not Big Boris, who is still MP for Henley, I do believe.

Though I'm sure we once had a poster who was on the list!

Would love Michael Foot to stumble across this, then we could actually have a poster on the list who died while reading their entry on the list... :lol:

I got a good close up view of Frau Merkel yesterday.

For the record, she looks bloody awful, though not in a way that suggests she may be likely to depart this life within a timescale interesting to us.

Met, shook hands and had a good chat with Sally (Magnus's daughter) Magnusson (apologies if mis-spelt) recently. Much more attractive in the flesh.

I used to work with this woman in the kitchen.

Not only did this story make the Press and Journal...but also the Sun. :rolleyes:

I was going to put this in Room 101 because it makes me angry.

I don't think that the story is particularly newsworthy. There are probably 100 families in this town suffering from whatis essentially the same problem.

Ah, who'd be a doctor in Fraserburgh...?

Good job they left the capital letter on his surname

When Dr Sandy Wisely retired in August, around 200 patients were hit by the removal of the substance-misuse service which he led.
I used to work with this woman in the kitchen.