Sign in to follow this  
themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2011

Here's a sneak preview as to what's required for next year:

HOW TO ENTER:

The DDP will start accepting entries from Wednesday 1st December 2010.

The entry period will officially close at 23:59 GMT on 31st December 2010. [There follows a period where entries sent in the hours after that time will be entered at the host's discretion. The absolute deadline for that is 11:00 GMT on 1st January 2011. After that then the entry window is definitely closed!]

Simply send a list of 20 names and a maximum of 2 substitutes to ddp2011@derbydeadpool.co.uk, along with your team name and an email address to be contacted by.

Important note: The joker will be the first name on your list and will be accepted by the host as such, so make sure your joker is top of the list!

Should one or more of your choices croak it before 31st December 2010, then a substitute will replace him/her. Should the premature death be a joker,

then the host will email you asking for a replacement joker from the existing list.

Once you have sent your list, apart from the above matter arising, the host will not accept any wholesale changes. One you've entered, that's pretty much it!

When the host has recieved your email, a message will be sent confirming this. Dont expect a full confirmation of the team you have entered until

very late in the year/ early new year, depending on when you enter.

You will be contacted by the host for any queries regarding the names of the picks and what they do, if they are among the more obscure picks.

If you are entering again, but with a different team name, let the host know what your previous team name was.

Please indicate if you are entering a theme team.

SCORING:

The value of the basic death depends on the person's age:

18-29 years: 12 points

30-49 years: 10 points

50-59 years: 9 points

60-69 years: 8 points

70-79 years: 7 points

80-89 years: 6 points

90-99 years: 5 points

100-109 years: 4 points

110+ years: 3 points

On top of this, bonus points are awarded as follows:

Unique pick: +3 if you were the only competitor to pick that person.

Unlucky 13: +2 for a celeb who dies on the 13th of any month.

Unnatural causes: +3 for murder, suicide or accident (but not State executions).

Party pooper: +5 for a celeb who dies on their birthday or Xmas Day.

Joker: Take the total of all the above and double it.

Most of you should know the drill but for those who don't this will be useful... :P

Discussed an idea the other day - those who put in lists early are at a disadvantage to late breaking news in the final few days of the year. If you really want to have people submit lists early can you please at least give those affected, unlimited rights to replace dead team members as and when required.

Discussed an idea the other day - those who put in lists early are at a disadvantage to late breaking news in the final few days of the year. If you really want to have people submit lists early can you please at least give those affected, unlimited rights to replace dead team members as and when required.

Good thinking. As I'll be on holiday, i'll be putting my list in around the 10th-11th Dec.

You would have be a bit unlucky if more than a couple of your picks snuff it before Dec 31. What I don't need is radical changes that will waste a bit of my time.

I'm fairly flexible, I just don't need to be messed around that's all.

I'm doing the inputting differently this year and will try avoid some of the frustrating errors in the data transfer which happened in 2009.

I shall recieve each submission and then check out the spelling of names, who they are, whether the're still alive etc.

All submissions will be compiled on an excel spreadsheet. Then in batches of 50 or so, I will cut and paste the teams into text files and then load them in. This

will occur at the end of the year/beginning of 2011, so you will all recieve those confirmation emails at a later time if you are submitting earlier than Christmas week.

Can I enter two teams if one of them is themed?

Yep...

What a good job the tight bastards I work for have not let me have New Year's Eve off, thus meaning I have to curtail my festive jaunt to Looe a day early - at least I'll have plenty of time on New Year's Eve night to enter my team - while everyone else is ripped to the tits on Smirnoff Ice by the sea I'll be sat at home crying into my Ovaltine whilst trying to decide whether Betty Turpin or Vera Duckworth should go on the list :P

My friend 'One Less Bullet Come The Revolution' is currently in the Middle East (not with them, obviously) :P

In view of recent events, his team will be undergoing a slight change of name to 'One More Bullet Come The Revolution'

Exciting! But what would happen if one were to run out of substitutes? And will there be any new features to this years DDP? And lastly I must mention, in my opinion I dont like how the one word-named celebs have parentheses next to them. I think it takes away from that "clean" and "official" look. Example: "Chyna, (wrestler)" "Corneille, (artist)" But you may just be compensating for a glitch or something, I dont know...

Exciting! But what would happen if one were to run out of substitutes? And will there be any new features to this years DDP? And lastly I must mention, in my opinion I dont like how the one word-named celebs have parentheses next to them. I think it takes away from that "clean" and "official" look. Example: "Chyna, (wrestler)" "Corneille, (artist)" But you may just be compensating for a glitch or something, I dont know...

Yes. It seems it doesn't register as a unique pick if it's just the one word. If you look at the notes as well, the consistency is all over the place as regards the use of quotation marks and in what context etc (not a surprise when you've had 4 hosts with different approaches). I'm going to try and create a consistent style, but's its settling on one will be the tricky bit.

Not sure about 'features' as such, but since it'll be the 15th anniversary in 2011 and a likely 1000th death. I'm sure I'll come up with something...

If you run out of subs, tough tits...

What about a 'consecutive hit' bonus?

If you get a hit on the 1st February you get the standard amount of points, if you get a hit on the 2nd you would get your standard score +1, then +2 if another one of your pics died on the 3rd, etc

Guest Guest

X point bonus round - everyone gets a stab at guessing the 1,000th death

We're open for business! :P

Sounds very inviting to have a theme team this time - I've an easy list I really could put forward - all my "bed-blockers" from years past. Maybe too sell indulgent, but I'll sit on this "STILL_in-the_BED" team for a few more days yet, just to hone it a little more & to see if it's worth going forward with.

(that works on two levels - "Still" as in very still ie dead, and "Still" as in they are still around and draging my scores down)

PS - yep - too self indulgent - still it would have been...

Vasily Aleksanyan, Abdelbaset Ali Metmed al-Megrahi, Rabbi Philip Berg, Ronnie Biggs (Joker), Fidel Castro, Dick Chaney,

Kirk Douglas, Patricia Dunn, Betty Ford, Billy Graham, Jerry Lewis, Kim Jong-Il, Shih Ming-Teh, Robert Mugabe, Ariel Sharon, King Sihanouk, Chuck Strahl, Liz Taylor, Margaret Thatcher & Zdravko Tolimir. Spares... Brian Mulroney, Ron Santo 02/12/10 & Jack Kevorkian

My 2011 theme team is gonna be "Dead Men Don't Need Season Tickets": elderly and minor celebrities mentioned in Half Man Half Biscuit lyrics.

I already have a main team in as a matter of course. If I get round to it, I may scrabble together a theme team...

Do I need to apply for a new entry form or can I use the one from last year?

Just send in 20 names (+ up 3 subs). Make sure the joker is on the top of your list...

Do I need to apply for a new entry form or can I use the one from last year?

Just send in 20 names (+ up 3 subs). Make sure the joker is on the top of your list...

You have done a tremendous job!

HAS EVERYONE RECIEVED THEIR EMAIL INVITING THEM TO SEND NOMINATIONS FOR DDP 2011?

It seems that a few people are not getting them. Let me know if you haven't...

HAS EVERYONE RECIEVED THEIR EMAIL INVITING THEM TO SEND NOMINATIONS FOR DDP 2011?

I haven't. But I'm not ruling out accidentally deleting it. :angry2:

I haven't. But I'm not ruling out accidentally deleting it. :ninja:

I'm sure I sent them all. Having said that, I've had some trouble with my ISP in the last few weeks since I moved flats.

Basically, I had to switch from cable to phone line and now back again. In between there's been a clerical error and even my broadband has been cut off! :angry2:

I'm currently using a mate's 3 mobile WiFi to communicate. However, I sent the original invite email on 1st December on the old phone line broadband.

The cable guy wont be round to install until Friday 17th December...

I shall endeavor to send out the email again as an attachment to the update.

DDT emailed me to say he hadn't received an email since 11th November. I moved flats on 13th November... :o

Following my dismal debut year, I'm working on a theme team to double my viewing pleasure (at least thats the theory). I was wondering how much of a connection does there need to be before a list of candidates is considered a theme.

For example, "People who have featured in the Simpsons" is obviously a theme, but if we expand it to "People connected to the Simpsons in some way", be it guest appearance, writer or tea-lady, is that still a theme? (My proposed team has nothing to do with the Simpsons btw).

PS. I've received my invite.