Sign in to follow this  
themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2011

I have one unique pick. Robert Salmond, father of Alex.

According to the Scottish Register of Births, Robert turns 90 years old this year.

Can I ask a question, I may be being a right dunce though. Pete Postlethwaite was 64 at time of death, meaning 8 points, plus 3 for a unique pick makes 11, so why has the team who picked him 'Old Ma G's Gravy Mix' only got 9 points?

Can I ask a question, I may be being a right dunce though. Pete Postlethwaite was 64 at time of death, meaning 8 points, plus 3 for a unique pick makes 11, so why has the team who picked him 'Old Ma G's Gravy Mix' only got 9 points?

It's probably because I've used an older version of the HTML editor which has unique hits scoring 1 point. Well spotted!

I have one unique pick. Robert Salmond, father of Alex.

According to the Scottish Register of Births, Robert turns 90 years old this year.

Alex Salmond was on Desert Island Discs on Sunday. I think he mentioned his father, but I can't remember what he said. You could have a listen on iplayer, if you don't mind wading through 45 mins of nationalist fighting talk and a pretty ropey selection of tunes. I don't think he mentioned his much older wife at all, I'm sure she's about 20 years his senior, perhaps she's approaching the dying of old age territory and you could have her for your list next year?

It's probably because I've used an older version of the HTML editor which has unique hits scoring 1 point. Well spotted!

Do I get a 50 point bonus for that? :P

Hmmm, somewhat pleasantly surprised that I've got Lianne Smith as a unique pick, didn't imagine that was possible after her harrowing Daily Mail interview in which she openly stated her wish to top herself. Also quietly hopeful that depressive/alcoholic/drummer Lee Kerslake may come good for the three point unique pick bonus.

Frankly, the DDP remains an awesome undertaking without which all of our lives would be poorer. As always: deep respect and thanks is due for the man-hours that made it possible.

:D When I posted late on New Year's Eve that Neil Young (the footballer) was terminally ill, I wondered if it was too late for anyone to pick him for their DDP team...

I'm very pleased I've got 5 unique picks, they are very ill with cancer, and I'd be surprised if they all hung around to sing Auld Lang Syne at the end of the year.

Well done TMIB, top work. Also well done to Banshees Scream, who can finally get to see the view from the top after all these years :P .

The first I knew that Neil Young was ill was through the entries coming in and though "hang on a minute..."

TMIB the competitor (until 2009) would have been on the case but TMIB the host is waaayy too busy to spot that sort of opportunity...

A gravy-lover writes: Thanks Lardy. If a 50 point bonus were in my gift you'd have it. Hugs and kisses, G. Hadn't spotted that.

I was going to write/send the next update email tonight. But that'll be delayed until Friday while I make a few tweaks (including the addition of 5 more teams)...

A gravy-lover writes: Thanks Lardy. If a 50 point bonus were in my gift you'd have it. Hugs and kisses, G. Hadn't spotted that.

Bugger, if I'd known it was you I would have kept me gob shut :P

Re Neil Young...Paul the Postie and his mates had him fingered as a possible in the time between Christmas and New Year and duly added him to their Deathrace outfit. Had to double check on that because I thought it was a wind up on their part to pick the Godfather of Grunge just to annoy me!

Not totally sure how the information about his illness spread, though postmen get to find out LOADS about what is really going on.

Re Neil Young...Paul the Postie and his mates had him fingered as a possible in the time between Christmas and New Year and duly added him to their Deathrace outfit. Had to double check on that because I thought it was a wind up on their part to pick the Godfather of Grunge just to annoy me!

Not totally sure how the information about his illness spread, though postmen get to find out LOADS about what is really going on.

Being a member of an MCFC forum certainly helped me find out about it...it hasn't be that well-publicised until recently but the club itself have been doing a lot of fundraising and tributes to Neil Young so that's probably how word spread.

One unique pick for me, Tanya Jones, bit of a punt but you never know...

I would also like to throw a heap of praise in the direction of TMIB - well done sir - very obvious that you really have put a lot of effort into it again - looks wonderful - 1st class.

I would also like to throw a heap of praise in the direction of TMIB - well done sir - very obvious that you really have put a lot of effort into it again - looks wonderful - 1st class.

Thanks.

However it's not been perfect. For instance I have another 6 teams to enter which I didn't first time round (I think I might have overwritten/deleted a

worksheet when transferring all the teams onto the text files because all the names were familar). Plus there's the pictures to add, I'll be doing the Insane analysis

as well as the Inane analysis, the 'Drop Forty' page and creating a new Missed of the List page. So, still plenty to do...

With regard to the theme team "Dead 80s", dedicated to all things of that decade. One of their picks is Vanilla Ice. "Ice Ice Baby" wasn't released until August 1990. Should they be kicked out of the competition for this?

With regard to the theme team "Dead 80s", dedicated to all things of that decade. One of their picks is Vanilla Ice. "Ice Ice Baby" wasn't released until August 1990. Should they be kicked out of the competition for this?

Gets through on a technicality as decades actually begin with a 1 year and end with a zero...

Gets through on a technicality as decades actually begin with a 1 year and end with a zero...

If I may be really technical (not to mention pedantic), a decade is any period of 10 years, whereas the 80s surely begin with 80 and end with 89? Perhaps Vanilla Ice may be allowable as his debut album was released in 1989.

Its probably a moot point as he's unlikely to influence the scoring this year anyway (sits back and waits for him to keel over before the end of play).

If I may be really technical (not to mention pedantic), a decade is any period of 10 years, whereas the 80s surely begin with 80 and end with 89? Perhaps Vanilla Ice may be allowable as his debut album was released in 1989.

Its probably a moot point as he's unlikely to influence the scoring this year anyway (sits back and waits for him to keel over before the end of play).

Oh contraire, my friend, because as sure as eggs is eggs, before this year's out I'm gonna line Vanilla Fucking Ice and Jedward up against a wall and pop three caps in their asses. Why has nobody realized that Jedward are in fact

in disguise?

A friend of mine told me he entered a team named "Boob Bondels" and I dont see that. But its much more likely that he just told me he'd sign up and didnt. Great work MiB! Theres a little typo on Tae-woo Roh if you'd like to be informed.

It's not a typo but it does introduce a dilemma. Roh is pronounced first, but is the Surname. Thing is, do I do that for the rest, including everybody's favourite tin pot

dictator Kim Jong-il (or should it be Jong-il Kim?). I've done for a few others, but not all...

A friend of mine told me he entered a team named "Boob Bondels" and I dont see that. But its much more likely that he just told me he'd sign up and didnt. Great work MiB! Theres a little typo on Tae-woo Roh if you'd like to be informed.

It's not a typo but it does introduce a dilemma. Roh is pronounced first, but is the Surname. Thing is, do I do that for the rest, including everybody's favourite tin pot

dictator Kim Jong-il (or should it be Jong-il Kim?). I've done for a few others, but not all...

Actually thats not what I meant. You spelled Korea, "Kores". But I did notice the name orders. It still kind of confuses me..

I was going to write/send the next update email tonight. But that'll be delayed until Friday while I make a few tweaks (including the addition of 5 more teams)...

Make that Saturday as I have made a few more tweaks (7 more teams making a total of 475). I also decided to change the Seoul Takers team so it reflects the 'western' pronunciation of Korean names...and I think I've covered all the best perfomances from last year...

I've had an email from DDP with a link to s[CENSORED]s.com and nothing else. What is the meaning of this?

I've had an email from DDP with a link to s[CENSORED]s.com and nothing else. What is the meaning of this?

I got one inviting me to visit: b[CENSORED]n.de

I was frightened and didn't visit.

DWB :birthday2:

I've had a similar email, but to a different website.

Edited by Magere Hein
Spam URL censored.

Hmm, I got a similar email. I already emailed TMIB about this. I suspect that his computer and/or mailer have been infected by some malware that's sending out spam. I have no idea how harmful the sites are that those URLs point to, but I'm going to put a bit of censorship in. I have enough entertainment with spammers as it is.

regards,

Hein