Davey Jones' Locker

Academic Footnotes

Lol I ain’t been around for two days and I’m all confused for a minute.  

• Like 1

On 11/10/2019 at 09:28, DevonDeathTrip said:

'World renowned roboticist',  Dr Peter B Scott-Morgan, has decided to become a cyborg in an attempt to counter the effects of motor neurone disease...

An update from Peter Scott-Morgan 2.0

I think his obit chances are negligible, but I admire his positivity in the face of pretty grim circumstances.

PS Are cyborgs allowed on the DDP?

I’d say yes. Stephen Hawking was on the DDP for all these years before he died in 2018...

On 14/10/2019 at 21:38, alt obits guy said:

Harold Bloom, an American literary critic, iconic Yale professor and author, has died.  He was 89.

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2019/10/14/sterling-professor-harold-bloom-dies-at-89/

I'll confess to reading his "How to Read and Why" - almost 20 years old now and a book in which he shamelessly points out as he got older he thought life too short for substandard books! Not so much elitist as evangelical in his own secular way.

On 21/06/2012 at 17:22, maryportfuncity said:

Perkins, as in the guy that wrote Film as Film, is still breathing? Awesome, good spot and clearly obit-worthy when he goes. Be a scramble to be the first with the Death as Death headline, which is surely the way he'd want it.

I guess he wasn't that worthy; died in 2016 I see. He was an interesting guy, though he didn't think much of my academic abilities, quite accurately.

8 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

I guess he wasn't that worthy; died in 2016 I see. He was an interesting guy, though he didn't think much of my academic abilities, quite accurately.

OOh, my bad - so he's off the long list, then

Dr. Robert B. Joynt, a much-honored professor and administrator in the University at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine, died Dec. 20 (2019) after a short illness. He was 76.
SC

23 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Albert Cohen, a musicologist at Stanford whose specialty was French Baroque, died December 31st.  He was 90.   His daughter, Eva Denise Cohen, died the same day of septic shock.  She was 54.

https://slippedisc.com/2020/01/musicologist-and-daughter-die-on-same-day/

Stranger Than Death .... next time. :P

• Like 1

On 12/11/2019 at 20:31, DevonDeathTrip said:

An update from Peter Scott-Morgan 2.0

I think his obit chances are negligible, but I admire his positivity in the face of pretty grim circumstances.

PS Are cyborgs allowed on the DDP?

Nah he is guaranteed a Mail article at least.If he doesn't obit I will come down to the next DL convention (work permitted) and dance on the table stark bollock naked .

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Sean said:

Nah he is guaranteed a Mail article at least.If he doesn't obit I will come down to the next DL convention (work permitted) and dance on the table stark bollock naked .

What is it with Deathlisters and making ominously terrifying bets? Many of us are still in therapy over the Deathray/Jimmy Carter thing...

• Like 1

I’m holding Sean to that.

35 minutes ago, Sean said:

:facepalm: Reminds me of the Phil Drabble thread, when I was the one making rash promises! 

Thirteen years ago #nostalgic

• Like 1

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/968398.Dane_R_Gordon

British born Professor emeritus  Dane Gordon ,professor of philosophy and author including of an academic book on Greek philosopher Epicurus and an authoritative book on the history of the Rochester institute of technology has died it has been announced. 

A bibliography of his books also linked to. 

He was also a poet but on balance I felt this thread was the right home for him.

Not sure if this has been covered elsewhere, but a video was posted to Dr. Jordan Peterson's YouTube channel by his daughter with an update on his health. There is a lot to unpack.

He apparently suffered a "paradoxical reaction" to an increased dose of medication. He has been in tremendous pain due to dependence and withdrawal symptoms so severe he was "suicidal". At one point, he developed pneumonia and has spent a month in intensive care. The family expects "a full recovery" for him but say he still has "a ways to go." 

Not sure if I would hazard violating forum policy by linking the video, but you can easily search it yourself if you wish.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Very interesting.

I find it somewhat fitting that he ended up in Russia.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HDS said:

Not sure if I would hazard violating forum policy by linking the video, but you can easily search it yourself if you wish.

Did I miss something? :scratchhead:

7 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Very interesting.

I find it somewhat fitting that he ended up in Russia.

Indeed. His fear of dying in a gulag might come to be...if he's well enough to work.

21 minutes ago, Toast said:

Did I miss something? :scratchhead:

I think I may have been the one that missed something. I wasn't sure if posting a full video here was acceptable or not, so I went with the summary.

2 hours ago, HDS said:

I think I may have been the one that missed something. I wasn't sure if posting a full video here was acceptable or not, so I went with the summary.

No, it's fine.  There is an intermittent glitch with videos not always embedding, that's all.