Davey Jones' Locker

Academic Footnotes

On ‎27‎/‎11‎/‎2015 at 16:45, Weebl said:

Another name for you...

Geert Hofstede, b. 1928, Dutch psychologist

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geert_Hofstede

On ‎30‎/‎11‎/‎2015 at 09:42, Ra Ra Rasputin said:

Stop it! I have/had Geert Hofstede on my 2016 possibilities list and would have liked a unique hit. :shoot2:

Apparently Geert Hofstede is dead: https://geerthofstede.com/geert-hofstede-passed-away-1928-2020-obituary/

From the above List of the Lost-er?

• Like 1

I'd like to suggest Professor Brian H. Murdoch, one of Ireland's most eminent mathematicians, who will be 90 this year.  He is a cousin of the late Iris Murdoch - some clever genes in that family - and a world renowned expert in random walks

Freeman Dyson, renowned scientist and scholar, has died at 96, according to his daughter.

The British-born scientist and professor emeritus spent much of his career as a physics professor at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton.

Some F'n how Dyson, a British 96 year old, wasn't chosen in any way shape or form in the DDP.
SC

• Shocked 1

5 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Freeman Dyson, renowned scientist and scholar, has died at 96, according to his daughter.

The British-born scientist and professor emeritus spent much of his career as a physics professor at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton.

Some F'n how Dyson, a British 96 year old, wasn't chosen in any way shape or form in the DDP.
SC

Wow, that's a huge name in the field of science.

Made a valuable contribution to physics but controversial for his promotion of religion. The infamous "Templeton Award" was given to him. Paraphrasing Richard Dawkins, it's simply awarded to any scientists who have "something nice" to say about religion.

I was going to say "yeah well tbh I thought he'd see 100 easily!" but then I checked the DDP site and he's on 4 teams, so once again I am confused.

Noooo! Started so well with Mubarak, Hoxha, Chaturvedi, but now 2020 takes the great Freeman Dyson! 

And unnatural way too, a fall. RIP to one of the greatest, ever. 

Just now, msc said:

I was going to say "yeah well tbh I thought he'd see 100 easily!" but then I checked the DDP site and he's on 4 teams, so once again I am confused.

Now I am.  I checked the letter D and scrolled to the end, and only Bob DYLAN was the only DY surname.  (Did Google direct me to the wrong DDP year?) 

Just now, drol said:

Noooo! Started so well with Mubarak, Hoxha, Chaturvedi, but now 2020 takes the great Freeman Dyson! 

And unnatural way too, a fall. RIP to one of the greatest, ever. 

Yeah falling is unnatural.  Never heard of an elderly person falling :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Henry Abraham, a professor at University of Virginia for 27 years and an expert on the court system, has died at 98.

Abraham was born in Germany in 1921, and immigrated to the U.S. in 1937 to avoid Nazi persecution. After serving in the Army, he became a professor of political science, first at the University of Pennsylvania and later, in 1972, at UVA.

SC

3 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Now I am.  I checked the letter D and scrolled to the end, and only Bob DYLAN was the only DY surname.  

Might be loading probs with your browser, he's def there...

def there.png

• Like 2

If you don't navigate via the home page, but from the sub-headings on the Google search results, you're taken to last year's pages.

It's always been like that in my experience.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Toast said:

If you don't navigate via the home page, but from the sub-headings on the Google search results, you're taken to last year's pages.

It's always been like that in my experience.

Yeah I busy at work (so busy I'm DLing lol) so I just threw the obit on the wall, and got to thinking he must be DDP so did quick n dirty lookup and let Google do the walking.  Lesson learned.

Evan Leon Ivie, former BYU (Brigham Young Univ) Professor of Computer Science, 'graduated life:rolleyes: on 2 March, 2020.
Goddamn Mormons..... smh just say he died.  SMFH. 
SC

Pat Elemans, the assistant dean of the Gustavson School of Business at the University of Victoria, has died, taking with her a big piece of the school’s heart and its connection to the world.  She died after a battle with cancer.
SC

The philosopher, sociologist and art critic Arnau Puig died in Barcelona yesterday at the age of 94.  With his death, the last voice of Dau al Set, the Catalan avant-garde artistic group created around the eponymous magazine in Barcelona in October 1948, was inspired by the work of artists Max Ernst, Paul Klee and Joan Miró.

Professor at the University of Barcelona, the Autonomous University of Barcelona and Professor of Aesthetics at the School of Architecture, Puig was recognized in 2012 with the National Prize for Culture in the Trajectory and also received the Creu de Sant Jordi in 1992, the prize of the Catalan Association of Art Critics in 2003 and the Medal of the Barcelona City Council for cultural merit in 2004.

SC

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Report of the death of Richard H Timberlake, Amercan economist and advocate of free banking, aged 97:

Econlib confirms, but is blacklisted by Wiki dorks. So not a reliable source for those bunch of bastards.

• Haha 2

On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 12:10, YoungWillz said:

No, Law, Stenhouse Building was the alma mater but our classes in Politics and some subjects were in the McCance because they required larger lecture halls. Simply because of those students studying other subjects who took law as part of their discipline.

Sadly never had John Curtice mind, don't even recall the guy who taught us Politics.

I do now recall the guy who taught us Politics at Strathclyde. Bill Miller! And now he is dead: https://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/18487344.obituary-professor-bill-miller-peerless-analyst-won-respect-across-political-spectrum/

Must have been the first year for me and the last for him, as the Obit says he left the next year in 1985. Never forget that beard. Hadn't realised he was the Glasgow end of the 1979 Election coverage on the BBC.

• Like 1