Davey Jones' Locker

Academic Footnotes

Ted Cowan (wiki), Scottish historian, dead at 77 from lung cancer.

Present at the opening of the Scottish Parliament in 1999. Would be good to see a comprehensive list of all those who had a part in the ceremony. I note Sean Connery was there (who obviously died not too long back) and Winnie Ewing is surely away to kick the bucket. Anyone else we should be watching?

Times obit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Present at the opening of the Scottish Parliament in 1999. Would be good to see a comprehensive list of all those who had a part in the ceremony. I note Sean Connery was there (who obviously died not too long back) and Winnie Ewing is surely away to kick the bucket. Anyone else we should be watching?

Times obit.

Lung cancer is noted but the death was so sudden it took most of his friends by surprise. We had a drink in his memory last week (but I didn't want to mention him on here till the broadsheet obits arrived). Ted was a hilarious man and a brilliant teacher, a tsunami of educational stuff, blue jokes and drink! A complete one of a kind. 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Times obit.

Aly Bain b. 1946

Sir James MacMillan b. 1959

Sheena Wellington b. 1944

Sandra Murray b. 1951

I would also note John Swinney’s wife, Elizabeth Quigley. She was BBC’s Scotland Political Correspondent covering the 1997 election and the 1999 Opening of Parliament, and suffers MS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, msc said:

Lung cancer is noted but the death was so sudden it took most of his friends by surprise. We had a drink in his memory last week (but I didn't want to mention him on here till the broadsheet obits arrived). Ted was a hilarious man and a brilliant teacher, a tsunami of educational stuff, blue jokes and drink! A complete one of a kind. 

Sorry for your loss. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Thatcher said:

Sir David Cox, statistician, reportedly dead aged 97.

Obit as confirmation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always got Sir David Cox confused with Sir David Butler.

Both British.
Both called David.
Both knighted.
Both dealt with statistics.
Both born in 1924.

One key difference now... Sir David Butler is still alive, though statistically unlikely to live to cover another UK general election. :P

5 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I always got Sir David Cox confused with Sir David Butler.

Both British.
Both called David.
Both knighted.
Both dealt with statistics.
Both born in 1924.

One key difference now... Sir David Butler is still alive, though statistically unlikely to live to cover another UK general election. :P

Sir David Cox was one of the survivor on my original 150-names list of 2016. He was definitely a huge name in statistics.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Thatcher said:

Sir David Cox, statistician, reportedly dead aged 97.

I considered adding him to my shadow-list, but then rejected. He was a prominent British statistician who became known for is contributions to the proportional hazards model, which was widely used in the analysis of survival data. In his career, he served as President of the Bernoulli Society of the Royal Statistical Society, and of the International Statistical Institute and was knighted by the Queen in 1985.

• Like 3

Curt Chandler, an award-winning associate teaching professor in the Donald P. Bellisario College of Communications at Penn State, died at 64 on Monday, Jan. 31, ending his battle with pancreatic cancer, a release said.

SC

Wayne Hankey, a  longtime professor at the University of King's College and former Anglican minister accused of multiple historical sex offenses, has died a month before his first trial was set to begin. He was 77.  Yep, a man accused of that with the name Mr. Hankey. Make up your own South Park jokes. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/former-halifax-professor-accused-of-historical-sex-abuse-dies-1.6341836

• Like 1

Twitter reporting the death of Judith Pipher, a noted American astrophysicist and observational astronomer. She was 81 or 82. Pipher was a professor emeritus at the University of Rochester and director of the C.E.K. Mees Observatory from 1979 to 1994.

• Like 2

French philosopher and emeritus professor Marcel Conche (Wikidead at 99, 28 days before his 100th birthday

RIP (March 27, 1922 - February 27, 2022)

Conche Marcel | Philosophie et Management

• Like 1

Wharton professor Sigal Barsade died at the age of 56 on Feb. 7 of brain cancer.

Barsade joined Wharton in 2003 and taught at Penn for almost 20 years. She was widely acclaimed for pioneering research on the role of emotions in organisations.

SC

Chilean botanist, enviromentalist and author Adriana Hoffmann (Wikidead at 82

She also served as Chile's Environment Minister from 2000 to 2001

La urgencia de Adriana Hoffmann - La Tercera

• Like 1

Sara Suleri Goodyear, a scholar who vividly evoked her upbringing in Pakistan in “Meatless Days,” a 1989 memoir often cited as a foundational work of post-colonial literature, died on March 20 at her home in Bellingham, Wash. She was 68.

News of her death was posted on the web page of the Yale English department, where she was an emeritus professor and had taught since 1984. A friend and fellow scholar, Fawzia Mustafa of Fordham University, said the cause was chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

SC

• Like 1

Dorothy E. Smith (wiki), a prominent English-born Canadian sociologist, dead at 95 according to various tweets.

• Like 3

Herbert William Simons, 86, a Temple University communication and rhetoric professor for more than a half century who championed civil rights and nurtured the careers of many colleagues, died April 17 of heart failure at Presbyterian Medical Center in Philadelphia.

SC

• Like 2