Davey Jones' Locker

Academic Footnotes

I wonder when deadpooling will become an academic subject.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Sly Ronnie said:

I wonder when deadpooling will become an academic subject.

I believe it is on the syllabus at the University of Maryport

Christopher Duffy, scottish military historian and expert on the Battle of Culloden has died at ...probably... 86:

https://www.scottishfield.co.uk/news/culloden-scholar-dr-christopher-duffy-has-died/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Duffy

I'm sure somebody here is going to point out that he lived just down the street and was a nice fella.

3 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I'm sure somebody here is going to point out that he lived just down the street and was a nice fella.

I don't know every academic in the UK, you know! :o:lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

0?wx_fmt=jpeg

November 2017: reunion of Tsinghua alumni.

First row: Peng Peiyun, Wang Hanbin, Wang Xiji, Wu Dachang, Yang Zhenning. Next year respectively 94, 98, 102, 105 and 101 year old.

Fuck's sake.

• Like 2

Liu Dalin, Chinese professor and China's top sexologist (with Pan Suiming, Zhang Jingsheng) dead at 90. Known for his 1989-1990 nationwide sex survey, books Sexual Behavior in Modern China (1997), History of Erotica in China (2004) and World Sex Culture (2005). He also opened China's first sex museum. 

• Like 1

Sir Michael Rawlins, sometime Professor of Clinical Pharmacology at Newcastle University who became chair of the Committee on Safety of Medicines and the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs, reportedly dead: 

Known as Sonny Rawlins to his mum and dad?

• Like 1

If someone can list all of Mark Stokes' achievements of public interest, thanks in advance.

From a game runner's perspective, it's a relief to have this resolved. He's not unique and the obit is not a given. But it is a gamble that's probably easier to play if you've won the competition already. Much like poker players can make better decisions if their life does not depend on the next pot.

8 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

From a game runner's perspective, it's a relief to have this resolved. He's not unique and the obit is not a given. But it is a gamble that's probably easier to play if you've won the competition already. Much like poker players can make better decisions if their life does not depend on the next pot.

He's a teacher with cancer. 

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

He's a teacher with cancer. 

To be honest, we never really discussed the the credentials of the name, it seemed obvious he was notable enough, or excelling in his field, from the good bye messages he received after that final tweet.

But yes, some of that attention might have been the "cancer mum" sympathy effect.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gcreptile said:

To be honest, we never really discussed the the credentials of the name, it seemed obvious he was notable enough, or excelling in his field, from the good bye messages he received after that final tweet.

But yes, some of that attention might have been the "cancer mum" sympathy effect.

I have to say imo this guy is not celebrated for anything significant in his field. I'd love to read about his superb paper on XYZ which changed the world, or how he made a significant difference to the world's understanding of ABC.

This is the blindness of consistent deadpoolers who like to pat themselves on the back for spotting a terminally ill person and then making the backwards justification for his inclusion.

"My mate was utterly brilliant" is hardly a ringing endorsement, and if he'd done anything, ANYTHING, of note as an academic he'd at least have a Wiki page.

I know you won't disqualify him (tbh I don't care - I've always said the runners decide) but I'm afraid to say this guy meant nothing to the world prior to his terminal illness and won't ever be included in memories of the good or even average. Good enough for the nobodies of Deathrace, not good enough for the DDP. 

So there. :lol::P

6 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Yeah, I follow somebody who posts about art, and they have a habit of picking up tweets from "cancer mum" types which all get retweeted.

• Like 1

I didn't pick Stokes in the DDP.

That said, as a former DDP host, he was a peer review published expert in his field (he's had over 50 articles published in the last decade alone in science/medical journals), was in charge of an important Oxford Uni research group, and was frequently cited/interviewed by BBC News/The Guardian/etc back in the days before Brexit took over all the news, so I would have allowed him easily. I let far less acclaimed folk through because they had a few TikTok fans or were a Digital Nun or what not. 

My view was that if you are a peer published academic who was approached for their views by the BBC, then you are def notable enough for the DDP. 

8 minutes ago, msc said:

I didn't pick Stokes in the DDP.

That said, as a former DDP host, he was a peer review published expert in his field (he's had over 50 articles published in the last decade alone in science/medical journals), was in charge of an important Oxford Uni research group, and was frequently cited/interviewed by BBC News/The Guardian/etc back in the days before Brexit took over all the news, so I would have allowed him easily. I let far less acclaimed folk through because they had a few TikTok fans or were a Digital Nun or what not. 

My view was that if you are a peer published academic who was approached for their views by the BBC, then you are def notable enough for the DDP. 

Links please, I need to know more about this person.

4 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Links please, I need to know more about this person.

As one example, here's a link to one of his Neuron (the foremost world scientific journal on brain science - bit beyond my intellect I have to admit) article from 2019. And here's another from Trends in Cognitive Science journal from 2016. None of us are going to read these, so I'll refrain from the entire back catalogue, but there's shitloads going back years.

His research group at Oxford was part of the Human Brain Activity Centre and you can read more about what he was doing here

Some of his Guardian work from back in the day here and here. There used to be more but I can't work out how to Google search for Guardian references to Brain Box, the now defunct science blog he used to run and they'd quote from a lot about a decade ago. BBC more difficult because the sods have begun wiping their old internet news, and if he'd done anything recently I've missed it, but here are quotes from one of his semi-regular go to BBC Radio interviews at the time. 

In terms of the DDP, the Neuron articles and Guardian work would have got him in over the threshold that I wrote. 

10 minutes ago, msc said:

As one example, here's a link to one of his Neuron (the foremost world scientific journal on brain science - bit beyond my intellect I have to admit) article from 2019. And here's another from Trends in Cognitive Science journal from 2016. None of us are going to read these, so I'll refrain from the entire back catalogue, but there's shitloads going back years.

His research group at Oxford was part of the Human Brain Activity Centre and you can read more about what he was doing here

Some of his Guardian work from back in the day here and here. There used to be more but I can't work out how to Google search for Guardian references to Brain Box, the now defunct science blog he used to run and they'd quote from a lot about a decade ago. BBC more difficult because the sods have begun wiping their old internet news, and if he'd done anything recently I've missed it, but here are quotes from one of his semi-regular go to BBC Radio interviews at the time. 

In terms of the DDP, the Neuron articles and Guardian work would have got him in over the threshold that I wrote. 

Interesting. The articles don't seem to be innovative, but rather a gathering of historical data - I did something similar for my dissertation for my honours year at Uni. On that basis alone, having done other things, I'm more famous.

However, Guardian article alone is enough I reckon. Still, that makes him a journalist rather than an academician. And no doubt, journalist deadpoolers will make sure that journalists who write for newspapers will publish something for the occasional article.

At the cost of more famous and deserving personalities, no doubt...:lol:

2 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Interesting. The articles don't seem to be innovative, but rather a gathering of historical data - I did something similar for my dissertation for my honours year at Uni. On that basis alone, having done other things, I'm more famous.

However, Guardian article alone is enough I reckon. Still, that makes him a journalist rather than an academician. And no doubt, journalist deadpoolers will make sure that journalists who write for newspapers will publish something for the occasional article.

At the cost of more famous and deserving personalities, no doubt...:lol:

Was your dissertation peer review published by a worldwide journal?

They don't take any old fucker - lord knows, I've tried! :lol:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, msc said:

Was your dissertation peer review published by a worldwide journal?

They don't take any old fucker - lord knows, I've tried! :lol:

Any old fucker from Oxford. That's the difference. ;)

• Like 1