Davey Jones' Locker

Academic Footnotes

One of my friends was the foremost authority in the UK on their particular subject, and when he died, it came to me to write a few lines in way of obit. Not only did the main newspapers skip him over, but so did his own university. It is a great relief that, according to Wiki user BarrelProof, the dude must be still alive somewhere! :lol:

• Like 1

Now dead according to Wikipedia, after an user contacted an assistant of Zadeh and got confirmation he died yesterday about 6 a.m.

I must sadly announce that the Norwegian Professor Frank Aarebrot died this week of complications after an operation to fix a heart attack. He known as a political commentator in Norway. Especially well-known for performances covering the political history of Norway, Europe, etc. He was scheduled to present the political history trends in Europe in 500 Minutes at the Grieg Hall in Bergen. Amazing lecture in comparitive politics at the University of Bergen. R.I.P. He was 70 years old. A very sad day in Norway. 

32 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Legendary (!) professor of accounting (!!)

(…)

Taught for 62 (!!!) years at Berkeley.

Wow, that sounds like tons of fun!:rolleyes:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Legendary (!) professor of accounting (!!) Alan Cerf, dead at 93:

Cerf's up!

• Like 2

On 08/09/2017 at 01:51, drol said:

Now dead according to Wikipedia, after an user contacted an assistant of Zadeh and got confirmation he died yesterday about 6 a.m.

If anyone cares anymore, there's a NYT obit now. 

Dr. Jane Goodall, the chimp lady, currently hosting an Ask-me-anything on reddit. Still in remarkable health... She has good genes, she says, which is the most important thing.

10 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Dr. Jane Goodall, the chimp lady, currently hosting an Ask-me-anything on reddit. Still in remarkable health... She has good genes, she says, which is the most important thing.

She was interviewed on Last Word a few weeks ago - about someone else - and sounded like someone in their 60s or 70s.

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2012 at 21:12, DevonDeathTrip said:

I'm not sure if she's arrogant or, strictly speaking, an academic, so this is probably the wrong thread. Anyway, I'd like to suggest the folklorist and world renowned expert on nursery rhymes Iona Opie, who will be 89 later this year. With her late husband Peter, she edited the Oxford Dictionary of Nursery Rhymes, which I've just finished reading (I'd always wanted to know the story behind Little Miss Muffett, Humpty Dumpty et al).

I don't have any information on Opie's health, but thought I'd mention her anyway, partly due to the fact that she has so few consonants in her name. :)

Iona Opie has died. Guardian Obit: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/oct/25/iona-opie-obituary

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Aw, that's sad.  Good obituary though, I didn't realise the Opies weren't university academics at all, instead they just dedicated their lives to research because they were so fascinated by their subject matter. 

• Like 2

Hugh Kearney, a notable British historian, died on the 1st October aged 93. Guardian got round to an obit yesterday. His daughter is Martha, the BBC journo.

Welsh born Canadian historian Dorothy Harley Eber is still alive at 92. She's an authority on Inuit history, although I doubt that will be enough to get her an obit here.    Anyway, I only mention her as I've just had the dubious pleasure of reading her book Encounters on the Passage about the Inuit's reaction to meeting European polar explorers in the nineteenth century.  I read it because I wanted to see a different perspective on the doomed Franklin Expedition, which has always fascinated me.   

I rather presumed that a book by a nice old lady about Eskimos wouldn't be too challenging, but it turned out to be like a horror story, apart from it all apparently happened for real.  Her account of the last Franklin survivors trudging hopelessly South is summarised in this article, although the book goes on in this vein for about fifty pages.   Chilling stuff (in more ways than one, I suppose) :ghost6: 

2 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Welsh born Canadian historian Dorothy Harley Eber is still alive at 92. She's an authority on Inuit history, although I doubt that will be enough to get her an obit here.    Anyway, I only mention her as I've just had the dubious pleasure of reading her book Encounters on the Passage about the Inuit's reaction to meeting European polar explorers in the nineteenth century.  I read it because I wanted to see a different perspective on the doomed Franklin Expedition, which has always fascinated me.   

I rather presumed that a book by a nice old lady about Eskimos wouldn't be too challenging, but it turned out to be like a horror story, apart from it all apparently happened for real.  Her account of the last Franklin survivors trudging hopelessly South is summarised in this article, although the book goes on in this vein for about fifty pages.   Chilling stuff (in more ways than one, I suppose) :ghost6: 

Yes, I think this is the one in which a chap who was born in our village got eaten.  hungry_boy.gif

• Like 1

University Professor Ronald C. D. Breslow, a trailblazing chemist who led the creation of the field of biomimetic chemistry and developed the anti-cancer compound Zolinza, passed away on October 25. He was 86. Breslow was a beloved Columbia College instructor for more than 60 years, and was instrumental to the College’s move to coeducation.

SC

Irish nationalist historian, priest and former Cambridge don Rev Dr Brendan Bradshaw is gravely ill and may struggle to see out the year.  No links I'm afraid, but you can trust me on this one.

I'm not sure if she'd meet the fame criteria, but American feminist academic and author Susan Gubar has been suffering from advanced ovarian cancer since 2008.

^^^ DDT in 2012.

Still alive..............

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, charon said:

^^^ DDT in 2012.

Still alive..............

Should note that as a regular columnist for the NYT - her last column was on Nov 21st this year, give or take a few days - I wouldn't be surprised if she got a QO. She's got one from the NYT on lock anyhow, and that should be enough for some of the non-DDP pools. Also, she still has the disease, given her column is about living w/ ovarian cancer.

Lady Wedgwood (IMDb), British medieval art historian who contributed to the television series and accompanying book The Secret Life of Paintings, has died aged 89.

On 12/8/2017 at 16:02, DevonDeathTrip said:

Irish nationalist historian, priest and former Cambridge don Rev Dr Brendan Bradshaw is gravely ill and may struggle to see out the year.  No links I'm afraid, but you can trust me on this one.

Dead.

University of Oregon journalism professor Tom Wheeler died on Saturday, according to reports from the school. He was 70 years old.
SC

Anne Treisman, a Princeton University psychologist who made major contributions to the understanding of attention and perception, died Friday, Feb. 9, in New York City. She was 82.

Treisman explored the mechanisms of attention, first in selective listening and then in visual perception. Her work helped explain how we focus on relevant auditory information in noisy environments and how we extract meaning from complex visual scenes. The concepts she proposed have influenced generations of scientists in cognitive psychology.  In 2013, Treisman received the National Medal of Science, the nation’s highest scientific honor.

SC

• Like 2