Davey Jones' Locker

Academic Footnotes

2 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Anne Treisman, a Princeton University psychologist who made major contributions to the understanding of attention and perception, died Friday, Feb. 9, in New York City. She was 82.

Treisman explored the mechanisms of attention, first in selective listening and then in visual perception. Her work helped explain how we focus on relevant auditory information in noisy environments and how we extract meaning from complex visual scenes. The concepts she proposed have influenced generations of scientists in cognitive psychology.  In 2013, Treisman received the National Medal of Science, the nation’s highest scientific honor.

SC

Ooooh... wife of Nobel Prize Winner Daniel Kahneman, of "Thinking, Fast and Slow"... Sad to hear

• Like 1

Indeed!  I missed that little snippet or I'd have pulled it out and posted for sure.  Good eye GCR!
SC

14 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Indeed!  I missed that little snippet or I'd have pulled it out and posted for sure.  Good eye GCR!
SC

I didn't have to read it, I knew it :). Daniel Kahneman is a VERY big academic name and would obit in the BBC and Guardian immediately. I very briefly considered Anne Treisman as a "name-out-of-nowhere" for my B-Team. I think she might catch a QO, too.

11 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I didn't have to read it, I knew it :). Daniel Kahneman is a VERY big academic name and would obit in the BBC and Guardian immediately. I very briefly considered Anne Treisman as a "name-out-of-nowhere" for my B-Team. I think she might catch a QO, too.

Especially given she was born in Wakefield.

I may well be the only person in the whole of the UK currently reading The Machine in the Garden (classic though it is) but I was amazed with the subsequent Googling to discover that Leo Marx (98) is still with us. Obitable for sure, especially in those dead pools where reputable American sources count for points.

Thought I'd, like, share the love: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Marx

Irving Shain, a chemistry professor and UW–Madison chancellor emeritus who advanced the university’s interests in China and established University Research Park, died peacefully Tuesday, March 6, in Madison after a brief illness. He was 92.

SC

Lawrence Sáez, professor in the political economy of Asia at the School of African and Oriental Studies, University of London, has been in the news this week after he was assaulted for crossing a picket line of striking lecturers.  The Daily Mail quote him as saying:

"Over the last two years I have been a cancer patient... frankly, I'm not sure how long I have left. I try to enjoy life to the fullest and I get a great deal of enjoyment from my work."

The  Mail also helpfully mentions that his latest round of chemotherapy had failed.  This article from the TES from 2016 confirms that Saez had a diagnosis of stage IV colon cancer...

Whether any of that will translate to a UK obit, I couldn't say.

Susan Stan, who taught English (in particular children's literature) at Central Michigan University for many years, died March 21, age 72.
SC

John D. Bonvillian passed away in his 69th year on May 8, 2018, in Charlottesville, Virginia. At the time of his death, John was an emeritus faculty member at the University of Virginia.
John joined the University of Virginia faculty in 1978 and taught many thousands of students there before retiring in 2015. His principal faculty appointments were in the Department of Psychology and the Interdepartmental Program in Linguistics.  John's principal research interests were the development of language and communication skills in typically developing children and in children with disabilities. He conducted pioneering work on the acquisition of manual signs by non-speaking children with autism, beginning in the early 1970's. A few years later, he began a series of studies that examined the early signing of infants and young children with deaf parents. The findings from these studies helped spur what became known as baby signing.
SC

1 hour ago, Thatcher said:

Miriam T. Griffin, an American academic of Ancient History at Somerville College, Oxford University, has died aged 82.

She went from teaching the subject matter to being the subject matter.

• Haha 1

A personal one - I see that my old Family Law professor, Joe Thomson, has died. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Thomson

The only professor who had a party for final year students at his house. A fine fellow and gone too soon. RIP.

A sad post for my Octotwunt status.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

A personal one - I see that my old Family Law professor, Joe Thomson, has died. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Thomson

The only professor who had a party for final year students at his house. A fine fellow and gone too soon. RIP.

Congrats on being an Octotwunt.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Scotsman obit

Name rang a bell, as soon as I saw the pic I knew who it was. Shame.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, msc said:

Scotsman obit

Name rang a bell, as soon as I saw the pic I knew who it was. Shame.

Have to say, that appreciation was lovely, very apt. We had some great professors back then and he was one of the most approachable, and sometimes fearsome.

A tear in my eye....

The Police Command in Edo has confirmed the killing of Dr. Omoruyi Igbagbon, former lecturer at the College of Education, Ekiadolor, near Benin, by gunmen.

The deceased who retired from the institution where he taught Mathematics about eight months ago, was shot last Saturday night in his residence in Benin.

SC

5 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Douglas Bennet, the former president of Wesleyan College and the father of U.S. Senator Michael Bennet, has died. 

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/06/11/douglas-bennet-michael-bennet-obituary/

Hey we have a thread for university presidents, FYI.

https://forums.deathlist.net/topic/8443-university-presidents/?tab=comments#comment-216381

19 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Hey we have a thread for university presidents, FYI.

https://forums.deathlist.net/topic/8443-university-presidents/?tab=comments#comment-216381

Would seem to be a case of posting it in a relevant thread instead of in a more relevant thread.  Had not previously come across the university presidents thread but will remember.

Yirmiyahu Yovel, a Professor Emeritus of philosophy at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, has died.  He was 83.  Yovel was known to be an outspoken critic of the Israeli presence in the West Bank.

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-prominent-israeli-intellectual-occupation-critic-dies-age-83-1.6163890

6 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Peter Odada Sumba, a researcher for the Centre for Globah Health Research in Kenya, has died from gunshot wounds sustained at the Kenyan bar where he was watching the World Cup.

https://www.the-star.co.ke/news/2018/06/17/kemri-researcher-dies-after-thugs-attack-world-cup-fans-in-kisumu-bar_c1774041

Sumba-dee kill him dead.

• Like 1

Ronald Walker taught psychology and was an administrator at Loyola University Chicago, rising from instructor to executive vice president before his retirement in 1999.

Walker, 83, died of natural causes June 6 in Evanston Hospital.
SC