Spade_Cooley

New Year's Honours

Didn't these things used to be a list of soon-to-pop-off former diplomats and "people's champions" with inspiring battles against terminal illness that could have been of use to deadpoolers? Whereas this year, I'm expected to find some sort of Topform for Annie Lennox and Sheila Hancock's chances of dying in 2011?

Bert Kwouk got a gong though, and he should be the recipient of plenty of "shit, think of someone over the age of 80" DDP picks in the coming years. "The Human Fly" Joe Brown is an 80-year-old rock climber getting some recognition here, but it doesn't say whether he still gets his crampons out.

But yeah, all of these people will be getting broadsheet obituaries now, so idk, do with it what you will:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...11-in-full.html

Didn't these things used to be a list of soon-to-pop-off former diplomats and "people's champions" with inspiring battles against terminal illness that could have been of use to deadpoolers? Whereas this year, I'm expected to find some sort of Topform for Annie Lennox and Sheila Hancock's chances of dying in 2011?

Bert Kwouk got a gong though, and he should be the recipient of plenty of "shit, think of someone over the age of 80" DDP picks in the coming years. "The Human Fly" Joe Brown is an 80-year-old rock climber getting some recognition here, but it doesn't say whether he still gets his crampons out.

But yeah, all of these people will be getting broadsheet obituaries now, so idk, do with it what you will:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...11-in-full.html

Presumably Kwouk's is in recognition of all his staged fights with Inspector Clouseau. Are they not at all worried that when he is up on stage he might suddenly try to attack the Queen?

Actually, having read it now, there's at least three imo who are getting it on a "Ken Dodd, Last Nod" basis....:lol:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Actually, having read it now, there's at least three imo who are getting it on a "Ken Dodd, Last Nod" basis....:lol:

I'd happily sacrifice huge chunks of British rock music before the Reaper got near Palin! :o

• Like 2

Outdated shite.

Should ban it all.

• Like 2

• Haha 7

Of note this year: 90-year-old holocaust survivor Mindu Hornick, Battle of Arnhem veteran Wilf Oldham (99) and D-Day participant/fundraiser Harry Billinge (94). 

• Like 1

I always find it more interesting to see who has turned the Honour down. Should be a list of folk who were offered and said no.

Anyhow, Baroness Floella Benjamin is a Dame while Derek Griffiths just about scrapes a MBE. Yep, the "totty" is now a Dame. Giving truth to the question, "Who do I have to suck off to get ahead in this business?"

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I always find it more interesting to see who has turned the Honour down. Should be a list of folk who were offered and said no.

Anyhow, Baroness Floella Benjamin is a Dame while Derek Griffiths just about scrapes a MBE. Yep, the "totty" is now a Dame. Giving truth to the question, "Who do I have to suck off to get ahead in this business?"

Alan Bennett has turned down a knighthood at least twice, and Glenda Jackson a Damehood.

Bill Nighy, Peter Capaldi and Jim Broadbent (how's that for a hattrick of talent?) have all repeatedly turned down the offer of even a mere OBE.

• Like 2

On 28/12/2019 at 09:42, msc said:

Alan Bennett has turned down a knighthood at least twice, and Glenda Jackson a Damehood.

Bill Nighy, Peter Capaldi and Jim Broadbent (how's that for a hattrick of talent?) have all repeatedly turned down the offer of even a mere OBE.

And Vanessa Redgrave.

Others have turned some down but accepted others - Helen Miren for example.

1 minute ago, Toast said:

I don't doubt that there are also some people who have kept schtum about the whole thing.

Loads post the big leak in 2002.

Hmm.

I have a bit of a tired rant. Or just pointing something out, depends how you read it really.

So we have a slew of Olympians receiving various grades of honour this year. Anyone remember London 2012 when every two bit gold medallist got a knighthood, or a commandership or some such along with their gold postboxes? Not so now. What I found probably most annoying is that for example heterosexual Andy Murray got a knighthood back then, but bisexual and male partnered up Tom Daley (gold medallist this year) gets an OBE, the second lowest honour.

Now, I've not really looked much into the whole shebang, maybe there are stories of more handsomely rewarded LGBTQ+ folk. You'd have thought one of our most successful divers would have got a little more.

Meh, who cares, system's shite, you can buy your seat in the Lords these days, why accept a gong from these corrupt charlatans - ahem - government of the day? :P

5 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Hmm.

I have a bit of a tired rant. Or just pointing something out, depends how you read it really.

So we have a slew of Olympians receiving various grades of honour this year. Anyone remember London 2012 when every two bit gold medallist got a knighthood, or a commandership or some such along with their gold postboxes? Not so now. What I found probably most annoying is that for example heterosexual Andy Murray got a knighthood back then, but bisexual and male partnered up Tom Daley (gold medallist this year) gets an OBE, the second lowest honour.

Now, I've not really looked much into the whole shebang, maybe there are stories of more handsomely rewarded LGBTQ+ folk. You'd have thought one of our most successful divers would have got a little more.

Meh, who cares, system's shite, you can buy your seat in the Lords these days, why accept a gong from these corrupt charlatans - ahem - government of the day? :P

Aye, you only get a knighthood for blowjobs if you give them to the right folk. 

Olympians generally need to be extremely successful to get knighthoods and damehoods. Andy Murray was knighted for his contributions to tennis generally, being the first British man to win Wimbledon since Fred Perry. Whist I like Tom Daley it would be difficult to knight him for the shared gold medal he received. I would’ve thought a CBE more appropriate though. 

Ian Livingstone gets a knighthood.  Maybe the Queen is looking for tips to make her tomb raider proof...