Grim Reaper

Bob Dole

40 minutes ago, DeathClock said:

The death of Bob Dole leaves three living congressmen who served while Dwight Eisenhower was still President. Merwin Coad (IA), Al Quie (MN), Lucien Nedzi (MI).

Fred Harris (OK) and Bob Packwood (OR) are now the only living U.S. Senators to have served while Lyndon B. Johnson was President. 

2 hours ago, Book said:
3 hours ago, Drewsky1211 said:

Guessing either Betty White or Jimmy Carter (at least on the main list).

Would have predicted Dole to be the No.  1 of 2022.

Now I also think it will be Betty White. A woman at the top would be nice.

Surely the Queen would be more appropriate. 95 year old head of state  of the DL's home country.

Excuse the xenophobic sentiment, but to me Betty White is just some old woman who was in a US sitcom 60-odd years ago.

If not the Queen, then Jimmy Carter.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Surely the Queen would be more appropriate. 95 year old head of state  of the DL's home country.

Excuse the xenophobic sentiment, but to me Betty White is just some old woman who was in a US sitcom 60-odd years ago.

If not the Queen, then Jimmy Carter.

I think the number one slot now can only be filled by Leslie Phillips 

RIP old boy, as with many statesmen of his generation his humility and respect to allies and opponents alike is sorely missing in many politicians of today. Only one of the four men on the major party tickets in 1976 left alive as of today - wonder if Carter will triumph over him again and reach 2022? :scratchhead:

Rip Bob Dole, thank you for your service.

• Like 2

On 05/12/2021 at 21:32, Bibliogryphon said:

I think the number one slot now can only be filled by Leslie Phillips 

With all due respects, not a lot of people under 40 know who he is. I didn't even know what gender he was till I googled him

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, friedbutty said:

With all due respects, not a lot of people under 40 know who he is. I didn't even know what gender he was till I googled him

Would you describe him (for you)as the least recognisable of the surviving 2021 DL picks?

9 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Would you describe him (for you)as the least recognisable of the surviving 2021 DL picks?

No, not really. He has appeared in the Carry On collection, so that boosts his familiarity by a bit.

• Like 1

Bob Dole will have memorial/funeral services from Thursday through Saturday (Dec. 9-11)

Should be notable to see who attends and who doesn't from the political elite of the country. Similar to Gen. Powell's funeral recently.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2021/12/07/bob-dole-funeral-services-kansas-statehouse-memorial-russell/6424142001/

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MortalCaso said:

Bob Dole will have memorial/funeral services from Thursday through Saturday (Dec. 9-11)

Should be notable to see who attends and who doesn't from the political elite of the country. Similar to Gen. Powell's funeral recently.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2021/12/07/bob-dole-funeral-services-kansas-statehouse-memorial-russell/6424142001/

Be interesting to see if Trump turns up. Dole was a (mostly) loyal supporter of him so he shouldn’t have any reason not to. 

• Like 2

Day 1 Service:

Many other feeds available to watch this via YouTube (CBS, CNN, FOX, etc..)

On 05/12/2021 at 15:36, DeathClock said:

The death of Bob Dole leaves three living congressmen who served while Dwight Eisenhower was still President. Merwin Coad (IA), Al Quie (MN), Lucien Nedzi (MI).

Here's Bob Dole with Eisenhower

Bob-Dole-Dwight-Eisenhower.jpg

Day 2 Funeral:

Many other feeds available to watch this via YouTube (CBS, CNN, FOX, etc..).

Many notable people attended this service. Dick Cheney should stay on the 2022 list

Tom Daschle doesn't sound great.

clintoncheney.png.e07a4900a74aaaeb2227b8af8922c279.png

Dan Quayle, Clinton, Cheney and Pence.

Where's Dubya?

15 hours ago, arghton said:

Tom Daschle doesn't sound great.

clintoncheney.png.e07a4900a74aaaeb2227b8af8922c279.png

Dan Quayle, Clinton, Cheney and Pence.

Where's Dubya?

Not sure. I can’t find a mention of him attending. 

Appears that the guest list largely comprised of people Dole was close to, or who represented the institutions he was most associated with (such as Congress). This piece from USA Today clarifies that Clinton was the only President to attend the funeral, in part because they worked together on assistance to the families of 9/11 victims. Cheney and he were apparently friends for 50 years. The USA Today piece has a list of others who attended, most of which have been mentioned here. Dubya released a statement on his website in response to Dole's death, but that's all it appears. https://www.bushcenter.org/about-the-center/newsroom/press-releases/2021/12/president-bush-statement-bob-dole.html

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Appears that the guest list largely comprised of people Dole was close to, or who represented the institutions he was most associated with (such as Congress). This piece from USA Today clarifies that Clinton was the only President to attend the funeral, in part because they worked together on assistance to the families of 9/11 victims. Cheney and he were apparently friends for 50 years. The USA Today piece has a list of others who attended, most of which have been mentioned here. Dubya released a statement on his website in response to Dole's death, but that's all it appears. https://www.bushcenter.org/about-the-center/newsroom/press-releases/2021/12/president-bush-statement-bob-dole.html

Considering he was pretty close to Bush senior I would have thought he was close to his soon as well. 

RIP to a great man.  The dude could have died in his 20's, or many times after that, yet he made it to extreme old age and still pretty much had his marbles up until the end.  It was a life very well-lived, indeed.  It also finally gives me my 16th hit, as I cooled down considerably from hitting on so many names in the first part of the year.  

I also agree that Cheney absolutely needs to be on the 2022 list.  As I've mentioned before, he's running out of shelf life on that heart that was transplanted into him; if he's still around in March, that will be the 10-year mark with that heart.  

while reading a museology book for my classes, I found this sassy extract about Dole. I needed to share. 

for some context the NASM is the National Air and Space Museum and it was due to display an exhibition on the Enola Gay plane which dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima, but veterans and conservative americans shut it down. 

Capture d’écran 2023-01-06 à 14.25.23.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 4