Grim Reaper

Fergie Frederiksen

I'd be the last one to criticise the DL committee, but as the last one I'd say this was one of the poorest picks this year. He doesn't pass the fame test for me. This is a symptom of the DL trying to compete with the ambulance chasers on the DDP who'll tag on to the bumper of any car with a big C in the numberplate. The DL is bigger than that. "Journeyman vocalist." Pah!

Maybe next year we could have a real bonza time and pack the list with Tasmanian art gallery directors and older members of Peckham Rotary Club .

Been poor picks all round this year, into December and had a measly 5 deaths

I'd be the last one to criticise the DL committee, but as the last one I'd say this was one of the poorest picks this year. He doesn't pass the fame test for me. This is a symptom of the DL trying to compete with the ambulance chasers on the DDP who'll tag on to the bumper of any car with a big C in the numberplate. The DL is bigger than that. "Journeyman vocalist." Pah!

Maybe next year we could have a real bonza time and pack the list with Tasmanian art gallery directors and older members of Peckham Rotary Club .

Ignoring the jab at the Tasmanian art gallery director death that I dutifully reported to you, perhaps one way of increasing the fame threshold is to amend the rules so that the deceased must have both a UK obit and an obit by at least one overseas mainstream media news vendor (be it Aussie, Yank , Congolese, Mongolian or whatever.) Just an idea - don't worry, though, Poms - I don't want to diminish DL's Brit origins in any way though....

Ignoring the jab at the Tasmanian art gallery director death that I dutifully reported to you, perhaps one way of increasing the fame threshold is to amend the rules so that the deceased must have both a UK obit and an obit by at least one overseas mainstream media news vendor (be it Aussie, Yank , Congolese, Mongolian or whatever.) Just an idea - don't worry, though, Poms - I don't want to diminish DL's Brit origins in any way though....

To be fair Davey, I don't think British Art Gallery Directors would go down too well either, apart from Sir Roy Strong and Sir Nicholas Serota who would both be contenders. The thing is the DL committee has always made a big deal of picking famous people, maintaining a certain loftiness from the DDP big guns who pick strictly on obit-worthiness and there are a lot of obit worthy people who are not particularly well known. But that has changed in recent years as the DL tries to get ever better death counts. But it doesn't matter that the DL doesn't win the DDP. What matters more is that DL is the place to come for discussion and info for anyone interested in deadpooling. There's not much point making any suggestions. The DL is a pretty conservative institution.

To be fair Davey, I don't think British Art Gallery Directors would go down too well either, apart from Sir Roy Strong and Sir Nicholas Serota who would both be contenders. The thing is the DL committee has always made a big deal of picking famous people, maintaining a certain loftiness from the DDP big guns who pick strictly on obit-worthiness and there are a lot of obit worthy people who are not particularly well known. But that has changed in recent years as the DL tries to get ever better death counts. But it doesn't matter that the DL doesn't win the DDP. What matters more is that DL is the place to come for discussion and info for anyone interested in deadpooling. There's not much point making any suggestions. The DL is a pretty conservative institution.

Yes, I agree that they tend to have too many obscure people on the list in recent years - as an Aussie, I accept there will be some I don't know who are *perhaps* valid inclusions for their fame in the UK, like elderly Eastenders actors, but the likes of Fergie Ferguson, Diana Wynn-Jones and that ex-Maltese PM are really stretching it.

If we think back to the spirit of the original DL, we had Cary Grant, an internationally famous actor whose death came quite suddenly and unexpectedly and caused a shock/minor media circus. I can't see that happening with Fergie so I think there should be a greater fame threshold put in place somehow.

Of course, it needn't just be shock deaths like Cary; the Zsa Zsa circus is quite enthralling - who'd have genuinely thought at the start of the year that she'd have a chance of seeing in Christmas?

Guest Guest

Yes, I agree that they tend to have too many obscure people on the list in recent years - as an Aussie, I accept there will be some I don't know who are *perhaps* valid inclusions for their fame in the UK, like elderly Eastenders actors, but the likes of Fergie Ferguson, Diana Wynn-Jones and that ex-Maltese PM are really stretching it.

If we think back to the spirit of the original DL, we had Cary Grant, an internationally famous actor whose death came quite suddenly and unexpectedly and caused a shock/minor media circus. I can't see that happening with Fergie so I think there should be a greater fame threshold put in place somehow.

Of course, it needn't just be shock deaths like Cary; the Zsa Zsa circus is quite enthralling - who'd have genuinely thought at the start of the year that she'd have a chance of seeing in Christmas?

me :mellow:

Dom Mintoff is well enough known and the British bias is understandable but I agree on Wynn-Jones. You could say Bob Godfrey too but I'd argue he represents the DL at its inspired best, not as well known as his creations but many people remember

. With a couple of exceptions I'd say this year's list passes the fame test. I blame statins.

Dom Mintoff is well enough known and the British bias is understandable but I agree on Wynn-Jones. You could say Bob Godfrey too but I'd argue he represents the DL at its inspired best, not as well known as his creations but many people remember

. With a couple of exceptions I'd say this year's list passes the fame test. I blame statins.

LOL. There has been some bad luck this year, too: Aretha was not as sick as we thought she was, Michael Douglas defied the odds and survived and the ongoing saga of Zsa Zsa is unpredictable: she could still drop at any moment, as could Thatcher and Sharon. Also, the person we were concerned had been missed from the list at the start of the year, Christopher Hitchens, is still around anyway.

Winehouse was a miss but including one like her is always a risk (arguably she is the sort of candidate DL should be including though, to spice things up). Probably a worse miss was Steve Jobs since he had the high profile and was ill for a long time.

Guest Curious George

Any new updates on Fergie for 2013?

Yes

Friends,

Our father, Dennis ( Fergie ) Frederiksen has taken a turn for the worst in his battle with cancer. At this time we are awaiting a full prognosis of his condition.. We are asking for donations to help our father stay in his apartment, as well as help with everyday living costs ( Food, Rent, Medications, ect.. ). Any and all donations will help my father worry less about everyday living and focus on beating the cancer so he may get back to what he loves to do.. Performing and seeing his friends all over the world.

Thank you in advanced for any donations, prayers, and positive thoughts.

Kyler Frederiksen

Kolten Frederiksen

Danny Irwin

Yes

Friends,

Our father, Dennis ( Fergie ) Frederiksen has taken a turn for the worst in his battle with cancer. At this time we are awaiting a full prognosis of his condition.. We are asking for donations to help our father stay in his apartment, as well as help with everyday living costs ( Food, Rent, Medications, ect.. ). Any and all donations will help my father worry less about everyday living and focus on beating the cancer so he may get back to what he loves to do.. Performing and seeing his friends all over the world.

Kyler Frederiksen

Kolten Frederiksen

Danny Irwin

I had completely forgotten that they live the other side of town from me.

Yes

Friends,

Kyler Frederiksen

Kolten Frederiksen

Danny Irwin

They not tried setting up a meth lab? Seem to be doing all right in any case

It appears the end is nigh as the fact he needs money to stay in his "apartment" suggests his condition is terminal as there is no talk of any chemo or radiotherapy only "medications" which are probably just strong painkillers!

Hold the (Central IV) Line

I wonder if Mike Porcaro (guaranteed obit) dying might make it more like that Frederiksen (not actually famous or a member of Toto when they sold any records) gets an obit, on some "the curse of Toto" shit?

I wonder if Mike Porcaro (guaranteed obit) dying might make it more like that Frederiksen (not actually famous or a member of Toto when they sold any records) gets an obit, on some "the curse of Toto" shit?

For a guy whom most on here claim to have barely heard of, his family's fundraising efforts have been very well received, $14471 to date and counting

For a guy whom most on here claim to have barely heard of, his family's fundraising efforts have been very well received, $14471 to date and counting

He's fairly popular locally, which is where most of his support is coming from. It's similar to the support that Johnnie Bolin gets here in Minneapolis and also across the border in Iowa. The only thing Johnnie is famous for is being the brother of Tommy Bolin (guitarist for Deep Purple from 1975-76).

There's also the possibility if Frederiksen dies shortly before Porcaro that Porcaro's obits will note "Porcaro's death happened two weeks after that of another one-time Toto member, Dennis "Fergie" Frederiksen" or something to that extent. Not quite an obit of his own but still the kind of thing that would count for DDP purposes.

Guest Roy

Now he can finally find a woman like Jessie's Girl

Guest Guest

That should have been the 2nd hit of the year after Ariel Sharon.Anyone get the feeling t his isn't going to be a lucky year for deathlist?

• Like 1

Now he can finally find a woman like Jessie's Girl

Was that not Rick Springfield? Or have I missed the joke?

Still think he won't obit. 24 hours after his death and he's not been mentioned in any single newspaper anywhere in the world, let alone a British media source. Just to reiterate: this is a guy who was Toto's vocalist for less than a year (after their fame) and has never been involved with a top 40 single or album in the UK chart history.