Grim Reaper

Fergie Frederiksen

He might obit if another of the toto clan dies.

Still think he won't obit. 24 hours after his death and he's not been mentioned in any single newspaper anywhere in the world, let alone a British media source. Just to reiterate: this is a guy who was Toto's vocalist for less than a year (after their fame) and has never been involved with a top 40 single or album in the UK chart history.

Daily Mail is the best hope if his obit pops up in Rolling Stone or some other music site and it's a slow news day .Whoever copies and pastes at Daily Mail Obit from others site might be too lazy to check wikipedia for 5 second's to see he was in Toto for only 1 year.

Was the very last name I dropped, so seems I dodged a bullet unless there's a stampede at his funeral or Porcaro dies and his obit briefly mentions Frederiksen's death, or something.

Hopefully, Mike Porcaro also dies this year and some obit writer will write "Porcaro is the 2nd member of Toto to die this year, after former lead singer Fergie Frederiksen"

That should have been the 2nd hit of the year after Ariel Sharon.Anyone get the feeling t his isn't going to be a lucky year for deathlist?

Er.......no, not sharing the same feelings as you on 19th January!!!

Guest Droosy

I can´t believe we missed him! I can´t believe we missed him! I can´t believe we missed him!!! This is not a typical rant, because I really do believe we should have put Fergie on the 2014 Deathlist!!!

Hmmm. Looks like this one is heading straight for the List of the Lost.

Not even a mention yet on the Toto website, although in fairness it doesn't look like it gets updated much at all.

Most he's had so far has been a write-up in the Star Tribune because he lived in Minnesota at the time of his death and on the KARE 11 site.

Haven't seen anything on the other local news networks such as KSTP, WCCO or Fox9

The beauty of this is for you Fergie backers is that he went in January

Will be very surprised if he doesn't get a mention somewhere on the valid list during the next 11 months.

More than enough time for those of us on the forum to perfect that "Fergie's successor as Toto lead singer/David Moyes" gag that we've not nailed yet.

• Like 2

He was part of the in memoriam montage at the Grammy's last night. Not that it does any good on the obit front.

It doesn't count. It merely relays what's said on Wikipedia...

Guest 3J

Ah Snap  

Sucka's got served

It doesn't count. It merely relays what's said on Wikipedia...

But look at the dates under the name, the "Born 15 May 1951. Died 18 January 2014" part. That was just recently changed, and is independent of the Wikipedia article. Whoever maintains the BBC Music website took the time to add the date of death, which I believe counts as an obit.

How would you know it was not on the Wikipedia before and conveniently altered to make it look different to the BBC's version?

How would you know it was not on the Wikipedia before and conveniently altered to make it look different to the BBC's version?

Because A) That's not how Wikipedia formats it's dates. and B) I've checked that page everyday so I know that the "Died 18 January 2014" part wasn't there before. The small bio section is lifted from Wikipedia but the date of birth and date of death aren't.

I _think_ what happens is that the information isn't scraped from Wikipedia. A webpage called MusicBrainz scrapes the information, which can then be edited by its users to add the sort of stuff that wouldn't be Wikipedia-friendly (rereleases, working relationships, etc). The opening paragraph that appears on MusicBrainz is the opening paragraph of every WikiPedia entry though. The data is then scraped by the BBC for its site.

Example, jazz musician Arthur Doyle recently died.

So it goes Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Doyle

to MusicBrainz

http://musicbrainz.org/artist/1303f406-149a-4184-a8d2-76dc7c038554

to the Beeb

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/1303f406-149a-4184-a8d2-76dc7c038554

This is a pisser, eh? I'm crying out for decent deaths to spark the Deathrace into life and the Deathrace's - ahem - progressive attitude to obits would have already seen Fergie count for points...but nobody thought to pick him.

Colour me Pink but I don't feel his own website will count....