football_fan

Things To Do While Waiting For Death

3 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

where you stand with regard to faith and rationality.

Incompatible.

Though that view has got me in some arguments I'd as soon not have had.

To be fair, there are plenty of occasions where a decision based on astrology would probably be better than the ones our politicians seem to make. Grayling really should take it up, he'd probably cost us less.

• Haha 2

personalised chart

7 hours ago, runebomme said:

I think the people who answer positively to the astrology and the like will be very easy to manipulate not sure which direction that will push them in

Read the FAQs

More significant for our purposes is whether or not the individual believes in mystical determinants of fate, hence the astrology proposition. There is a psychological linkage between determinism and authoritarianism. The astrology believer may hold very liberal social views in other areas, but this does not alter this more authoritarian aspect within his or her cluster of attitudes.

People who believe in astrology are likely to be shunted slightly more authoritarian than they otherwise would be reading that. 

• Thanks 1

I do not 'believe in astrology'.  IOW I do not accept that people are affected by the positions of satellites in a way that shapes them as individuals through life.  
However, if we wipe away the 'stars/astrology/astronomy' part of it, there are certainly clusters of truisms for people born during a particular part of the year.  Many of these have been noticed and codified in 'astrology' texts.  This does NOT diminish them as truisms, no more than Hitler saying the sky is blue in Mein Kampf.  The ski is in fact blue from our vantage point.  
"Cancers' like myself are artistic and emotional people.  Moreso than any other 'sign'.  Again, take away astrology, we just simply say people from June 22 to July 23 tend to be artistic and emotional.  Argue with that you can fuck yourself silly, and still be wrong.  So save your fucking breath.  I can say a couple definite characteristics for each section of the calendar, which astrology designates air/water/earth/fire signs and star clusters to.  Do not create an opaque landscape where there is clarity - the sky remains blue - they are still accurate.  The sky remains blue, whether in a seminal text of sociology, or in a dime store astronomy pamphlet.  I think Gladwell shows how people born at certain times of the year are able to 'excel' or 'fail' in 'Outliers', though that adds the human condition and social economics as factors.

'Gemini' (May 21 - June 21) are terrible spendthrifts.  Fact.  You are one, you know.  You know one, you know.  You know one that isn't -- outlier.
'Sagittarius' (Nov 23 - Dec 20) are free spirited, free thinking.  Fact.  You are one, you know.  You know one, you know.  You know one that isn't - outlier.
If you're asking WHY that is, that is beyond the scope of this post.  Astrology is a joke.  Human tendencies aren't.

So I answered that one 'agree' (or disagree, forget how it was worded).  Not strongly though.  But surely if you went kneejerk, and I suspect many did, you'll need to use your head for something other than a goddamn hatrack next time.
SC

On 27/04/2019 at 23:17, Sir Creep said:

Sagittarius' (Nov 23 - Dec 20) are free spirited, free thinking.  Fact.  You are one, you knowYou know one, you know.  You know one that isn't - outlier

Oh aye? (y'all) 

Shouldn't this be in the Chirac thread?

Paging @Cat O'Falk stat!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

'Gemini' (May 21 - June 21) are terrible spendthrifts.  Fact.  You are one, you know.  You know one, you know.  You know one that isn't -- outlier.
'Sagittarius' (Nov 23 - Dec 20) are free spirited, free thinking.  Fact.  You are one, you know.  You know one, you know.  You know one that isn't - outlier.

Go on then, tell us the rest.  :)

1 hour ago, Boudicca said:

Oh aye? (y'all) 

Shouldn't this be in the Chirac thread?

Paging @Cat O'Falkstat!

If only we knew someone with thread-moving capabilities, like some comic book superhero....  

Probably some such powers somewhere. Can't really be bothered unless @Cat O'Falksays otherwise, I think is the established forum conduct, but don't ask me, I just make the rules!

• Like 1

Watch the legendary Orson Welles try to get a few lines right in a commercial -

Watch the previously un broadcast episodes of Hardwicke House.

On 21/06/2019 at 00:03, diDiLarson said:

Who is watching rick and morty? 

Rick-and-morty-print.jpg

Season Four in November I think?

My body is ready.

Travel the world, eat delicious food and spend your remaining days with people that love you.

• Like 2

Wait for @Sir Creep to man the fuck up and read his PMs. I Can see you are online you dumbass. What's the yanky bastard pile of steaming shit response this time you twat?

Oh and at @the_engineer did you ever get hold of that solicitor of yours. Or did they as everyone thought they would tell you to stop being a fucking cunt and you had no case. Was really looking forward to that court case. 

@msc see you left the conversation, what's the matter?

Image result for chicken

Kinnock has got his key out again. 

_D.jpg

Throw a bunch of money at THIS headstone project.... errrr ... ONGOING headstone project.

Now I'm from the D, and I love my Motown, and I am a bass player who loves other bass players and other Detroiters and by golly we have one of the best ever in James Jamerson, who died in.... 1983.  So ONLY 36 years ago *eye roll*.  And I love Woodlawn Cemetery which is in the heart of the city and contains a good number of very famous resting places, including that of Funk Brother James Jamerson.

What I don't love is Detroiters acting like Detroiters.  A GoFundMe campaign started by a surviving family member TWO YEARS AGO (i.e. 34 years after Jamerson died), asking for $10000 in order to create a more prominent headstone for the bass playing icon, apparently languished at around $4000 and recently been given a kick in the trousers again. 

"We're trying to get the headstone by his birthday (Jan.29th) We still need all of the donations we can get,
Thank You All and God Bless You All !!!!"

Oh that's nice.  Just so you know, now it's YOUR fault they can't find $6000 to complete this thing.  Cuz they've 'been trying'.  I don't like that.  I don't like invoking God to guilt trip you some more.  I don't like 'all we can get' cuz as a Detroiter I know what that means.  But hey, 'progress has been made' after TWO YEARS -- and look at THIS, an unfinished model** of the sculpture of what eventually will be the PROMINENT headstone Jamerson deserves!  (Photo below).  That's right... gonna spend $10000 for a mini bass guitar (like we needed a model of one)... that appears to be the size of Stonehenge in Spinal Tap.

Detroiters being Detroiters.  I'm used to it, I know the game.  But you don't.  So if you'd like to donate, the link has been provided.  Maybe the thing will be made by 29 January 2020, maybe not.  I mean Jamerson's only been dead 36 years.  I'd like to take Miss Boudicca to Detroit one day and see this lovely headstone in it's completed state.  So PLEASE donate. :rolleyes: 

(BTW this was all instigated by today being the one year anniversary of Bootsy Collins announcing he quit playing bass in public due to health reasons, so there's some info you can actually use.)
SirC

**[exact language: "a photo of the beginning stage model of the Fender Bass that will be molded -- and the finished product will be a Polished High Gloss Stainless Steel Sculpture that will be mounted atop his new headstone."] 

26154606_1577227916619374_r.jpeg