After all the whinging about the 2010 list, I must say you chaps have done a jolly good show putting this one together. Must have been serving better beer down at the pub this year...

As an Aussie, I recognised at least 40 of the names, so there is a higher fame/international recognition factor there (apart from the likes of Anna bloody Wing - still don't know who she is! - and that Maltese PM) and the targets seem sound for the most part. There are a few mild risks - Vera Lynn, Bradbury and Olivia de Havilland still seem to be in good health although, being well into their 90s, they could obviously go at any time.

Michael Douglas and Aretha are good "risk" bets too as the DL committee are obviously ignoring the tabloids at their own peril and thinking that their health conditions are worse than reported.

Time will tell if there are more hits but it seems to be a strong list with a good balance of soft targets and famous faces to spur the interest.

After all the whinging about the 2010 list, I must say you chaps have done a jolly good show putting this one together. Must have been serving better beer down at the pub this year...

As an Aussie, I recognised at least 40 of the names, so there is a higher fame/international recognition factor there (apart from the likes of Anna bloody Wing - still don't know who she is! - and that Maltese PM) and the targets seem sound for the most part. There are a few mild risks - Vera Lynn, Bradbury and Olivia de Havilland still seem to be in good health although, being well into their 90s, they could obviously go at any time.

Michael Douglas and Aretha are good "risk" bets too as the DL committee are obviously ignoring the tabloids at their own peril and thinking that their health conditions are worse than reported.

Time will tell if there are more hits but it seems to be a strong list with a good balance of soft targets and famous faces to spur the interest.

Anna Wing played Lou Beale in the long running British Soap Eastenders. Lou Beale is one of the legends of the soap.

I think its a good list too. I would have stuck Al Megrahi somewhere on the list, but then he is a bit of a tease. I think this list will do better than the 2010 list.

I agree it's decent, but there are some glaring misses already, like Christopher Hitchens and I think leaving out Megrahi is a mistake...but it's not my list so I can't complain i think they've done a good job overall too!

Same Here with Billy Graham and Fidel Castro

I agree with Graham, but to be fair Castro's health has been improving for a while now.

If age doesn't matter points-wise, I wonder why Frank Buckles wasn't included?

So If someone on the list dies in america (where it is still only just 2010)

or theres a deleyed obit which list would they count on?

We'll se about how things we would go

Hopefully we would get less Steinbrenners or Beefhearts this year

I agree with Graham, but to be fair Castro's health has been improving for a while now.

Frank Buckles is famous for being ill...if one considers extreme old age an illness. The listmakers don't choose people who are famous for being ill.

Frank Buckles is famous for being ill...if one considers extreme old age an illness. The listmakers don't choose people who are famous for being ill.

I suppose, but being the oldest verified war veteran is a decent claim to fame?

Not that it matters, it's still a good list, possible record-breaker...

I agree it's decent, but there are some glaring misses already, like Christopher Hitchens and I think leaving out Megrahi is a mistake...but it's not my list so I can't complain i think they've done a good job overall too!

Better then last year. I agree that Megrahi and Hitchens should have made it. I also would have found a place for Penny Marshall and Mubarak. Overall, much better effort this year. Not that anyone cares what I think.

A decent list although Hitchens is a miss. Still, leaves the path clear for me punwise... ;-)

I'm thinking they'll get around ten this year. Hitch missing is a bit foolish as he looks like death warmed up lately, but hey, that's the short of it.

Wasn't there someone everyone expected on the 2010 list who never showed up either?

I'm thinking they'll get around ten this year. Hitch missing is a bit foolish as he looks like death warmed up lately, but hey, that's the short of it.

Wasn't there someone everyone expected on the 2010 list who never showed up either?

You mean Dio?

Why was ballesteros omitted?

only 1 person under 64 and no one under 60. I would have liked to see a few more risks.

It's a good list which could return a record body count if the contenders pull their fingers out. I like the father and son Douglas listing. I hadn't heard of Fergie Frederikson but Miser's given him the thumbs up so I must put that down to a lack of worldliness. The committee must have picked this early in the session.

They remain remarkably faithful to Betty Ford when she's let us down so often in the past. But Biggs, another favourite, must surely take his bow this year.

Just wanted to publish my 50 on DL via my sig

Good list.

Obviously, the two big names (from a Yankee perspective) that everybody's looking out for this year in terms of counting down to their deaths are Aretha Franklin and Michael Douglas. The tabloids will be all over them with the inevitable "Last days" stories. Douglas and Franklin will be this year what Swayze and Fawcett were in 2009.

EDIT: I think we will probably be seeing Dick Cheney too in the tabloids more than a few times, particularly with those teaser "LAST DAYS" articles.

Was watching the new year programme last night/this morning over here. Dick Clark looked as if the special effects team and make-up artists were on overtime getting him on the air. Possible missed opportunity?

Edit : couldn't be arsed looking for the Dickless thread.

As a newbie, I don't want to be too pushy but I think Al Megrahi is a serious omission. On the other hand, the Douglas father and son is a masterstroke.

We will see.

Was watching the new year programme last night/this morning over here. Dick Clark looked as if the special effects team and make-up artists were on overtime getting him on the air. Possible missed opportunity?

Edit : couldn't be arsed looking for the Dickless thread.

Oh yeah, I forgot that Dick Clark was still alive.

No one's noticed have they?

One of the main rules has been broken -

That no more than 25 names can be carried forward to the following years list.

I make it 26 names are being carried forward this year.

Please can I call for a few members to cross check?

Now the List is in a moral state of flux and the unwritten rules are up for discussion!

And I think the committee now has to vote to remove one of the carry over names (obviously from those including and above Number 21 - since those first 20 will be part of the DDP team submission) before someone dies.

If someone dies (who was subject to carry-over) before this matter is put right then that person can not be considered a valid hit.

Question also is - are you allowed to bring in a replacement?

And who?

Does this forum need a thread for this matter?

If you are quick about it (before someone dies) then OK, yes.

But if that rubicon is crossed before a re-jig then all replacement rights should be withdrawn and the list will continue with only 49 valid names through the rest of the year.

This needs sorting fast.

You are right RA. One of the following must be dropped and replaced immediately:

Ronnie Biggs, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Oscar Niemeyer, Kirk Douglas, Yitzhak Shamir, Kim Jong-il, Olivia De Havilland, Betty Ford, Denis Healey, John Edich, Ray Bradbury, Margaret Thatcher, Jake Lamotta, Frank Thornton, Jack Klugman, Jerry Lewis, Anna Wing, Chapman Pincher, Eli Wallach, Nelson Mandela, Dom Mintoff, Al Molinaro, Erich Priebke, Herbert Lom, Ariel Sharon, Clive Dunn.

My advice would be to drop Eli Wallach, and replace him with Christopher Hitchens...

As a minimum till you lot sort this out officially - I'll look out an unwritten rule about getting stuff like this cocked up.

Rule 57d

States:

If those who put the list together get the number of carry over picks wrong - I.E. do something like carry over 26 name in error then any one member can point this out in the forum and make a choice as to which of the group in question are to be saved or placed as candidates for removal (awaiting official modification)

Therefore:

I enact this rule and bring into question 6 candidates for removal (initially saving 4)

position 26 Anna Wing - it could be you 40 posts

position 27 Chapman Pincher - it could be you 17 posts

position 28 Eli Wallach - it could be you 89 posts

position 31 Nelson Mandela - it is not you (you are safe) 131 posts

position 36 Dom Mintoff - it is not you (you are safe) 97 posts

position 37 Al Molinaro - it could be you 27 posts

position 39 Erich Priebke - it could be you 15 posts

Position 40 Herbert Lom - it could be you 29 posts

position 42 Ariel Sharon - it is not you (you are safe) 563 posts

position 50 Clive Dunn - it is not you (you are safe) 300 posts

Down to someone else's input - but I give you 6 names for a poll thread.

(Also enacting this rule saves the list losing hits on 4 candidates Mandela, Mintoff, Sharon & Dunn.)

Over to you...

Post modified 22:15hrs - missed (best candidate) Wallach - still thinking on my feet here...

No one's noticed have they?

One of the main rules has been broken -

That no more than 25 names can be carried forward to the following years list.

I make it 26 names are being carried forward this year.

Please can I call for a few members to cross check?

I did (with the help of a spreadsheet) and came to the same conclusion: 26 of 2011's candidates were on 2010's list. Well spotted.

DL Central Committee have been notified of this error. I expect an Official Response soon.

regards,

Hein

My advice would be to drop Eli Wallach, and replace him with Christopher Hitchens...

That is exactly what I would do!!! Well said!