Godot

The Archers

This is really DDT's thread as it was his idea and he's the real Archers' fan on the DL, but it seems fitting on the occasion of its 60th anniversary to begin discussing candidates from the series, some of whom are growing quite long in the tooth.

Yes, it may well drop like a stone, but there are a lot more rubbish threads than this and Norman Painting deserves a better resting place.

Besides, it may encourage some of our North American members to get up to scratch on what's going on. Also here.

I'm wondering if Nigel Pargetter might have survived.

• Like 1

I went to a comprehensive school so I have no idea about the Archers, but did the mystery of Alan Devereux's sudden departure from the show ever get cleared up?

Alas no. Dear Lord, will things ever be the same again?

I suppose June Spencer who has played Peggy Woolley since 1950 (albeit with a short career break) would be the obvious choice. She's now 91 but doesn't sound like she's going anywhere soon. Lesley Saweard, who must be in her 80s now, has played Christine Barford non stop since 1953 might also be worth a go.

Spade, Alan Devereux's health status is a closely guarded secret, my prolonged enquiries on this matter have yeilded little of interest, apart from one totally baseless rumour that he might have bone cancer. I went to a comprehensive school as well btw.

Ah, the Archers.

Never did get into it mesen, but my late gran was addicted.

Every time it came on, cats would appear from everywhere at the first notes of the theme tune, as she fed them when the evening broadcast came on.

They always seemed a bit miffed at the "go hungry" afternoon show.

So, was Ambridge shaken to the core?

Or did the missing scarecrow turn up?

Alas no. Dear Lord, will things ever be the same again?

I suppose June Spencer who has played Peggy Woolley since 1950 (albeit with a short career break) would be the obvious choice. She's now 91 but doesn't sound like she's going anywhere soon. Lesley Saweard, who must be in her 80s now, has played Christine Barford non stop since 1953 might also be worth a go.

Spade, Alan Devereux's health status is a closely guarded secret, my prolonged enquiries on this matter have yeilded little of interest, apart from one totally baseless rumour that he might have bone cancer. I went to a comprehensive school as well btw.

Have just listened. I suppose I'd hoped a strong gust of wind might have blown him through a window or maybe a passing hay wagon or Lynda Snell had broken his fall.

My school turned comprehensive while I was in the sixth form. Does that count?

:) Dead

Nice overtones of Rod Hull I thought...............

Please excuse me, I'm about to have a rant.

The hideous Vanessa Whitburn, outgoing Archers editor, has claimed that she has been the victim of cyber-bullying, during the latter years of her tenure on the programme. Frankly, if that's the worst that happened to her, then she's got off lightly. Her years of constant attempts to introduce big storylines to a programme that just doesn't need livening up or modernising have tested the faith of even the most diehard listeners. The last couple of years, since the completely unnecessary killing off of Nigel Pargetter have been particularly bleak. The programme has almost reached the stage that it seems to have stopped being based on the characters and is now plot driven instead. Long-time, well-known characters become Jekyll and Hyde, or undergo a complete schizophrenic personality change to illustrate whatever issue of the day is on Whitburn's mind. New characters are parachuted in for the same reason and then written out never (or rarely) to be mentioned again. Even the references to good old agriculture - the rock on which The Archers was built - have diminshed almost to the point of extinction.

Whitburn has all but throttled the golden goose she inherited and I was relieved to see that she's finally cottoned on to the fact that most Archers listeners despise her and retired (but not before taking six months off on full pay - licence fee payers' money - as a perk for long service). That woman deserves to :flame:burn in hell :flame: for the damage she has done to what was once the jewel in BBC Radio's crown and, even if her replacement were a one eyed, three legged, winky, wonky donkey, it would be hard pushed to do a more awful job than her in running the show.

Anyone with half a brain is calling for the new regime to make some changes. Hopefully the Beeb won't choose someone with any intention of carrying on Whitburn's "Eastenderfication" of this iconic programme. I'll keep you informed, as I'm sure you're all as worried as me about what will happen... :mellow:

• Like 1

I just saw "I Know Where I'm Going on TCM a few days ago and when I saw this thread pop up just now I thought it might be a thread about surviving actors from Powell and Pressburger films. :ph34r:

Speaking of which I wonder if Margot Fitzsimons the younger sister of Maureen O'Hara who appeared in small roles in 3 films before retiring would get an Obit or even if she is still alive.

Please excuse me, I'm about to have a rant.

The hideous Vanessa Whitburn, outgoing Archers editor, has claimed that she has been the victim of cyber-bullying, during the latter years of her tenure on the programme. Frankly, if that's the worst that happened to her, then she's got off lightly. Her years of constant attempts to introduce big storylines to a programme that just doesn't need livening up or modernising have tested the faith of even the most diehard listeners. The last couple of years, since the completely unnecessary killing off of Nigel Pargetter have been particularly bleak. The programme has almost reached the stage that it seems to have stopped being based on the characters and is now plot driven instead. Long-time, well-known characters become Jekyll and Hyde, or undergo a complete schizophrenic personality change to illustrate whatever issue of the day is on Whitburn's mind. New characters are parachuted in for the same reason and then written out never (or rarely) to be mentioned again. Even the references to good old agriculture - the rock on which The Archers was built - have diminshed almost to the point of extinction.

Whitburn has all but throttled the golden goose she inherited and I was relieved to see that she's finally cottoned on to the fact that most Archers listeners despise her and retired (but not before taking six months off on full pay - licence fee payers' money - as a perk for long service). That woman deserves to :flame:burn in hell :flame: for the damage she has done to what was once the jewel in BBC Radio's crown and, even if her replacement were a one eyed, three legged, winky, wonky donkey, it would be hard pushed to do a more awful job than her in running the show.

Anyone with half a brain is calling for the new regime to make some changes. Hopefully the Beeb won't choose someone with any intention of carrying on Whitburn's "Eastenderfication" of this iconic programme. I'll keep you informed, as I'm sure you're all as worried as me about what will happen... :mellow:

DDT this is brilliant, the sort of post that draws me back here and one which I'd love to read as an article in my Daily Dismal Telegraph. Nothing can bring Nigel back but a public burning of this witch would indeed brighten our Easter weekend. Alternatively she could be dropped on North Korea to inject a few of her story lines in to the humdrum lives of every day country folk in Kim Jong-un's regime. How do appalling people like this get to run things and spread so much misery? That's Whitburn, I mean.

• Like 1

Guest Guest

it's a sad and tragic day for the UK. I just can't stop crying. I assume I'm not the only one

it's a sad and tragic day for the UK. I just can't stop crying. I assume I'm not the only one

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :smiley_f:

• Like 3

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-22510232

Arnold Peters aka Jack Wooley

The character outlived the actor, before dying earlier this month. June Spencer -who plays Jack's widow, Peggy - is now 94 and still a regular on the programme. She has just been awarded a lifetime achievement award by the BBC...

Also, Colin Skipp, who had played Tony Archer since 1967, retired earlier this month on health grounds.

Ysanne Churchman who played Grace Archer who died the night ITV started broadcasting is still alive (b.1925) although she may have been discussed under a Doctor Who thread. There is quite a crossover between the two.

In a compelling example of art imitating life, Tony Archer is critically ill after he was trampled on by a bull last week.

I heard about Tony`s bull incident in the series today which prompted me to see if there was any news on Colin Skipp who previously played Tony.All I noticed was that his wiki page now states he was born in 1928.Not sure if this is true but if it is then he certainly looks worth a decent hunch with his heart problems.

Guest Lindabellamy

Alan Devereux has dementia and is staying with his daughter who was also an actress on The Archers playing his on screen daughter.

link?

Alan Devereux has dementia and is staying with his daughter who was also an actress on The Archers playing his on screen daughter.

On screen daughter? I only remember The Archers as a radio show......!

• Like 1

On screen daughter? I only remember The Archers as a radio show......!

Yeah, but he's got dementia, maybe she's pretending to be his on screen daughter and he's falling for it!

Ysanne Churchman who played Grace Archer who died the night ITV started broadcasting is still alive (b.1925) although she may have been discussed under a Doctor Who thread. There is quite a crossover between the two.

Ysanne Churchman to return! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3142600/The-return-Grace-Archer-Actress-voiced-Archers-character-died-fire-comes-radio-age-90-mark-episode-s-60th-anniversary.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thearchers/entries/49784254-fdbe-4202-ba84-b26ac7cb8fc8 :From a few weeks ago but Anne Cullen who played Carol Tregorran in the series died aged 89 last month. The character is now played by Eleanor Bron who the song Eleanor Rigby was named after and is also the lady on the end of BT phones who says "The number you have dialled has not been recognised! In Archers terms she is a spring chick at 77 with at least four other current cast members being older :June Spencer(96) Edward Kelsey(85) Patricia Greene (84) and Lesley Saeward (81).

Guest Sabrina Thwaite

Evil wife-beater Rob Titchener was stabbed to death tonight. :dead2:

Helen had made a supper of tuna bake with and an apple and cinnamon pie for dessert, but Rob only got to finish the main course before it all got nasty.