Godot

The Archers

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/radio/what-to-listen-to/jennifer-aldridges-sudden-death-end-era-archers-icon/

Actress Angela Piper 78 ,  retires from The Archers and acting  after 60 years on the show. Her character  Jennifer died of a heart attack whilst on a Spa holiday. 

June Spencer who played Jennifer's mother Peggy left the show last year-although  Peggy was not killed of but the character is basically offscreen now. Will she return to the radio soap for her daughters funeral ?

I wonder if Angela retired for health reasons?

That is three long standing female characters who have left in less than a year, Peggy, Shula and Jennifer. 

Please stay put Patricia Greene and Carole Boyd!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/radio/what-to-listen-to/jennifer-aldridges-sudden-death-end-era-archers-icon/

Actress Angela Piper 78 ,  retires from The Archers and acting  after 60 years on the show. Her character  Jennifer died of a heart attack whilst on a Spa holiday. 

June Spencer who played Jennifer's mother Peggy left the show last year-although  Peggy was not killed of but the character is basically offscreen now. Will she return to the radio soap for her daughters funeral ?

That is three long standing female characters who have left in less than a year, Peggy, Shula and Jennifer. 

The fact the article says she wasn’t heard for months before the character was killed off makes me think she is either unwell or quit suddenly due to a dispute. 

• Like 3

I understand that Angela Piper suffered a serious stroke a few months ago.

• Sad 2
  • Shocked 1

5 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Is Peggy still living with Christine or are they both in the Laurels now?I know Christine was for a while but then moved in with Peggy.

I doubt June Spencer or Lesley Seaward will return but you never know.If not they would just say Peggy is ill in hospital I imagine .

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sean said:

Is Peggy still living with Christine or are they both in the Laurels now?I know Christine was for a while but then moved in with Peggy.

I doubt June Spencer or Lesley Seaward will return but you never know.If not they would just say Peggy is ill in hospital I imagine .

I tend to listen to The Archers about  3 weeks behind on BBC RADIO Iplayer. 

At one point last year I got a bit behind and I think I missed about 4 episodes that went past the available to listen date so I am not actually sure were Peggy is? My memorys understanding was she last featured after starting to have a monument commissioned in the local church for Natasha and Toms twins and that she still lived at home but wasn't featured but I could be wrong. 

I suspect some health issue will be referenced in relation to Peggys absence but  her sage wise owl words and sentiments will be read out in the church or by a family member from a in sympathy card or message on the flowers etc.

I would love June Spencer to pop  back but deep down I know that I am not  thinking realistically!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

I understand that Angela Piper suffered a serious stroke a few months ago.

That’s sad, 

I wonder if that was before June Spencer retired. Must be a shock for her to see the actress playing her daughter in poor health. 

• Like 1

Just listened to the episodes dealing with Jennifer's death.Very moving and some exceptional acting from Charles Collingwood.I wonder if they will kill Peggy off  too as her frailty was referenced saying she looked really frail and appeared to have shrunk mentally and physically after hearing the news.Maybe they will do a Debbie Reynolds.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

At one point last year I got a bit behind and I think I missed about 4 episodes that went past the available to listen date so I am not actually sure were Peggy is? My memorys understanding was she last featured after starting to have a monument commissioned in the local church for Natasha and Toms twins and that she still lived at home but wasn't featured but I could be wrong. 

I suspect some health issue will be referenced in relation to Peggys absence but  her sage wise owl words and sentiments will be read out in the church or by a family member from a in sympathy card or message on the flowers etc.

I would love June Spencer to pop  back but deep down I know that I am not  thinking realistically!

She I think from the episodes I listened to earlier was living on her own but after hearing the news was persuaded to stay with Tony and Pat.Tony and Lilian alluded to her suddenly looking very frail after Jennifer's death.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Apparently her final appearance was February 15th last year. 

Gosh it does  not seem like it has been  nearly a year since Jennifer  (Angela Piper) featured in an episode.

Now I think about it I am aware she has been appearing less and her sister Lillian has been appearing more,  carrying the baton if you like for storyline that require someone from that part of the Archer family to make an appearance.  But a year. Time really does fly. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sean said:

Just listened to the episodes dealing with Jennifer's death.Very moving and some exceptional acting from Charles Collingwood.I wonder if they will kill Peggy off  tooas her frailty was referenced saying she looked really frail and appeared to have shrunk mentally and physically after hearing the news.Maybe they will do a Debbie Reynolds.

I think I am going to have to indulge in a marathon session of catching up with The Archers as I feel really out of it  with this huge development in the storyline. 

19 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I think I am going to have to indulge in a marathon session of catching up with The Archers as I feel really out of it  with this huge development in the storyline. 

I only listened again due to Jennifer's death but they have done a great job.

• Thanks 1

I don't get much time to listen at all now but the episodes were really good.

• Like 1

On 27/01/2023 at 01:10, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Well June could potentially return.If it was a television soap it would be more likely but in radio you can use far more poetic license.Providing she is compus mentus June could easily add some dialogue in the comfort of her own home and an audio file be recorded and sent to the studios.This I believe happened during Covid but in the event it wouldn't be possible Peggy could still leave an audio message to be read out at the funeral which would explain the references to the characters frailty.Wonder whether Tamsin Greig will record something for Debbie also for the funeral episode.

• Like 1

Whilst listening in again on the Archers omnibus it occurred to me when Christine Barford was mentioned is her original voice actress Pamela Mant still alive? I have done a little research and found nothing.Anyone know the answer?

• Like 1

Just listened to Jenny Darlings' funeral. No special guest appearances. Noluthando Jenny`s Granddaughter has been heard in recent episodes as traveled over from South Africa but not heard tonight. Peggy was at the funeral sitting at the front but wasn`t heard and was described as "very frail" again. Debbie also came back but was silent and was mentioned she was visiting her Father Roger Travers Macy after the funeral and that he was too ill to travel. Phoebe and Sipho also attended but were silent. No mention of Jill attending or Christine who lives at the Laurels nursing home now.

Could have done with being an extended episode as felt rushed in the normal time slot.

• Like 2

As someone who dips in and out- I have to say the actress who plays Alice (Jenny Dahing daughter) played a blinder in the last year or so with her characters alcoholism and now her Mums death. 

Mind you Adam still wooden as telegraph pole. He’s just got no range in his emotions. 

• Like 1

Whatever happened to the character of Lewis?

Edited by DevonDeathTrip
Thanks Death Impends for undeleting this!

@Sean So sorry, I was trying to answer your post but I accidentally deleted it.

Elizabeth mentioned Lewis in passing about a year ago, so I think he was still living (silently) in an annexe to Ambridge Hall. 

• Like 2

Christ that is a shock.It has been quite a while since I heard Roy on the Archers though.

• Like 2

53 for an actor on the Archers is practically baby age. Don't most of the actors on there tend to go on to lead extremely long and active lives (or as 'active' as it gets on radio)?

• Like 2