Godot

The Archers

On 09/12/2020 at 20:17, DevonDeathTrip said:

Great to hear the indestructible June Spencer back on The Archers tonight after a 9-month covid-19 enforced absence.   101 years old and still lighting up the show. :)

Interestingly  though unless I am mistaken  I don't think Pat Archer has featured for quite a while? Perhaps  the actress who plays her is extremely medically vulnerable in terms of the virus even more so than 101 year old June Spencer?

I'm trying to think which other cast members  have had very long absences this year?  Patricia Greene as Jill Archer  has featured as has Carole Boyd as Linda. Cant remember when Adam or Clarrie were last on the show.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Cant remember when Adam or Clarrie were last on the show.

I’m pretty sure Adam was on back in the early days of the monologue episodes, when the cast were recording from home, not heard from him for a while tho. Clarrie was on end of last week, first time she’s featured for months. 

Now they’ve gone down to 4 episodes a week I don’t suppose they need as many actors. 

2 minutes ago, Ripley said:

I’m pretty sure Adam was on back in the early days of the monologue episodes, when the cast were recording from home, not heard from him for a while tho. Clarrie was on end of last week, first time she’s featured for months. 

Now they’ve gone down to 4 episodes a week I don’t suppose they need as many actors. 

Oh I'm listening two weeks behind on BBC sound so haven't  heard Clarrie.  Pat Archer  stands out the most to me as being absent. Ruth, David, Brian and Jennifer, Lillian, Jill and more recently  Peggy all featured.

I can't remember if Leonard was in any of the scenes with Jill?

1 hour ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Oh I'm listening two weeks behind on BBC sound so haven't  heard Clarrie.  Pat Archer  stands out the most to me as being absent. Ruth, David, Brian and Jennifer, Lillian, Jill and more recently  Peggy all featured.

I can't remember if Leonard was in any of the scenes with Jill?

Don’t remember hearing anything from Pat since last Christmas. Some of the other older cast members who I don’t think have featured for a while are Jim, Leonard, Christine and Bert (Bert & Christine haven’t been regulars for a few years but usually get rolled out at Christmas) 
Most episodes only feature four actors instead of the previous six, so there are loads of cast members who haven’t been heard from for months. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Listening to tonights episode and it features both Peggy (June Spencer, 101) and Jim Lloyd (John Rowe, who turns 80 years old tomorrow) 

Both sound like they’ll be around for a few years yet :)

• Like 1

The Archers celebrated its 70th anniversary and  the Duchess of Cornwall  joined the cast to celebrate. 

Here she is with 102 year old show veteran  June  Spencer.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Hedli Niklaus, who plays Kathy Perks, made her first appearance since 2015 on Sunday.  She is rumoured to have had some health problems in recent years and it isn't clear if this was a one off farewell, or if she is going to stick around.  

As well as acting on the show, she also used to run the Archers fanclub.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

June Spencer RETIRES from the role of Peggy Archer aged 103

It's a good age to enjoy retirement.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, MariNisia said:

It's a good age to enjoy retirement.

Online comments wishing her "a long and happy retirement" may be somewhat hopeful but let's hope anyway. She is currently playing a 98 year old in The Archers - surely the oldest character in a soap until William Roache (aka Ken Barlow) smashes her record as he has been quoted as expecting to live way beyond 100 due to his healthy lifestyle.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Must admit they put her picture above the article on the BBC website and I had to do a double take to make sure it was not bad news

• Like 3

Definitely deserves a place on next year's list if she lives that long.

• Like 2

Patricia Greene is now the longest current serving current soap actress in the world.

• Like 4

On 08/08/2022 at 09:13, Bibliogryphon said:

I will miss Peggy.  I wonder how long they will leave it before the character dies offscreen  and whether they will wait until June Spencer is no longer with us before they do so?

Now I think of it still  no word on what EastEnders bosses plan to do over Dot dying offscreen now June Brown has died.

• Like 1

On 09/08/2022 at 00:57, Sean said:

Patricia Greene is now the longest current serving current soap actress in the world.

She sounded extremely unwell in tonight's episode and some of the dialogue was a bit swan-songy as well.  Watch this space.

• Like 1

Patricia Greene sounded much better as Jill tonight.   

Meanwhile Judy Bennett has retired from the show after a mere 51 years of playing Shula. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 2

12 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Meanwhile Judy Bennett has retired from the show after a mere 51 years of playing Shula. 

Are we sure it's not just a sabbatical?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

She is 15 years older than her character but didnt see that one coming.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Are we sure it's not just a sabbatical?

It doesn't look like she's coming back

10 hours ago, Sean said:

She is 15 years older than her character but didnt see that one coming.

The actresses who play Chelsea and Lilly are both at least ten years older than the characters they play as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Graham Blockey, a GP who had a role as Robert Snell for 30 years in The Archers, reportedly dead. 

FQ8JZbcXoAAmAeU.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 24/09/2022 at 11:32, The Old Crem said:

I wonder if she is I’ll. 

I think she probably is.The Archers is such a part of her life having been in it for so long and the fact her husband is in it.Plus it isn't as taxing as other soaps in terms of physicality and time spent recording.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Graham Blockey, a GP who had a role as Robert Snell for 30 years in The Archers, reportedly dead. 

I do hope this doesn't result in Carole Boyd, 82 ,who plays his wife Linda leaving the show sooner rather than later- although she is pretty solid as a stand alone character. 

• Like 1