Davey Jones' Locker

Celebrity Chefs

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Hate it when ppl say that. “One of the first”. It means nothing. Could mean she was the first, could mean she was one of the first 10, 20, 30. Always left wanting to know who the first actually was…

I think the Good Food Guide indicates she was the first woman in the UK to gain the accolade.

On a worldwide scale, it's just another Winter's Tale...(D. Essex).

• Like 1

Jiro Ono, sushi master interviewed three weeks ago on his 97th:

Sounds a bit frail but otherwise seems to be doing pretty well.

• Like 2

Hmmmmmmmmmm......

Saturday Kitchen chef James Martin has recently got a CT scan, faces a "mystery operation", and had some drastic weight loss recently, officially because of a diet:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-11455109/James-Martin-sparks-concern-fans-shares-worrying-post-hospital.html

Obscure fact about James Martin only his most die-hard fans know: he's from Yorkshire.

12 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Obscure fact about James Martin only his most die-hard fans know: he's from Yorkshire.

I see... taken from the comments:

Emms, Leeds, United Kingdom, 24 minutes ago

Bangs on about being a Yorkshireman then lives in Hampshire. Traitor.

I'm with Willdub:

Willdub, Dublin, Ireland, 17 minutes ago

I hateeee these kind of posts on social media .. either say what your there for or dont post at all .. pity me posts

Death announced (by Richard Keys, of all people) of Richard Shepherd, head chef and eventual owner (after buying out Michael Caine) of Langan's Brasserie in Mayfair.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Death announced (by Richard Keys, of all people) of Richard Shepherd, head chef and eventual owner (after buying out Michael Caine) of Langan's Brasserie in Mayfair.

Met him a few times. Any idea how old he was?

On 22/11/2022 at 11:13, gcreptile said:

Hmmmmmmmmmm......

Saturday Kitchen chef James Martin has recently got a CT scan, faces a "mystery operation", and had some drastic weight loss recently, officially because of a diet:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-11455109/James-Martin-sparks-concern-fans-shares-worrying-post-hospital.html

He's just announced a tour in Oct/Nov next year.

https://www.ents24.com/uk/tour-dates/james-martin

• Like 1

On 06/05/2022 at 13:23, Toast said:

Hairy Bikers star Dave Myers has revealed he has been diagnosed with cancer and is currently undergoing chemotherapy.

Dave Myers appeared on Saturday Kitchen this morning, his first TV appearance since his diagnosis. Appears to be and says he is doing well.

Only one of the original Iron Chefs is dead. It's been 29 years since it premiered and 23 years since it ended. The living ones are aged 66-91

(Iron Chef meaning the original Japanese television cooking show - Not the UK one, the US one, the Canadian one, etc. The Iron Chefs in those shows are also much younger.)

They were:

Chen Kenichi (1956-2023) Iron Chef Chinese 1993-1999

Yutaka Ishinabe (1948) Iron Chef French I, 1993

Hiroyuki Sakai (1942) Iron Chef French II, 1994-1999

Masahiko Kobe (1969-2019) Iron Chef Italian 1997-1999

Rokusaburo Michiba (1931) Iron Chef Japanese I, 1993-1996. He has an active youtube account.

Koumei Nakamura (1947) Iron Chef Japanese II, 1996-1998.

Masaharu Morimoto (1955) Iron Chef Japanese III, 1998-1999. Later appeared in the US Iron Chef.

• Like 1

On 30/08/2022 at 10:52, msc said:

The Hairy Biker with cancer is "in the trenches but getting there", according to the Hairy Biker without the cancer.

Hairy Bikers latest show cancelled as Dave Myers still recovering. "OK in the circumstances" he says. Given in recent interviews he's said both that his prognosis is fine and that he didn't think he'd see Christmas, I pity any hair left for anyone who picked him.

34 minutes ago, msc said:

Hairy Bikers latest show cancelled as Dave Myers still recovering. "OK in the circumstances" he says. Given in recent interviews he's said both that his prognosis is fine and that he didn't think he'd see Christmas, I pity any hair left for anyone who picked him.

I saw him in a show the other night - looked to me like someone who was continuing doing what he does because that's been his life but looked ill - I could imagine he's on the way out.

• Like 1

Budget cooker Jack Monroe, no stranger to taxing mental states, not having the best of weekends. 

I hope she's ok.  Her successful campaign last year for supermarkets to price their economy foods more fairly hugely helped those most in need. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Budget cooker Jack Monroe, no stranger to taxing mental states, not having the best of weekends. 

I hope she's ok.  Her successful campaign last year for supermarkets to price their economy foods more fairly hugely helped those most in need. 

She is brilliant. I wish she knew how brilliant she was.

I thought she was a they.

28 minutes ago, Toast said:

I thought she was a they.

Good question, Jack is non-binary but has said they’re happy with both she/her and they/them.

• Like 1

Celebrity? IMHO, yes.

Joseph Zucchero, the founder of the Chicago restaurant Mr. Beef, which was the inspiration for, and setting of the recent FX serial The Bear, died on 1st March aged 69, in a Chicago hospital.

Graham Newbould, former chef for Her Majesty The Queen on the Royal Yacht Britannia and at Buckingham Palace, Telegraph Obit: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2023/03/10/graham-newbould-royal-chef-1980s-who-made-queen-penny-sandwiches/

Revealed the Queen's aversion to angles on her sarnies, so they had to be cut into circles.

• Like 2

On 22/01/2023 at 10:37, TQR said:

She is brilliant. I wish she knew how brilliant she was.

She's a fraud and her recipes are, for the most part, inedible slop.

• Like 3