Vinegar Tits

Curse Of The Eurovision

Yes, I am very sorry that she has gone. 

I don't remember cancer being mentioned, just that she was in hospital being treated for an infection.  So a miss for me as well.

On 12/27/2017 at 20:49, Vinegar Tits said:

I hope she gets better. She's one of my favourite singers and was my gateway into the wonderful world of French music and culture.  Courage, France.

Sympathies, incidentally.

• Thanks 1

She had breast cancer back in 1993 but made a full recovery and was out touring within months.

Needless to say I'm devastated by the news. One of my favourite singers and the person who got me into French pop music in the first place, which since 1999 has changed my life so much for the better and made new friends because of it. 

I wonder if she'll be buried with Michel Berger - his family were never overly found of her and there was a hoohah when daughter Pauline died as to whether she should be buried with Berger.

And no, I didn't put her on my list. Perhaps I should have done and so granted her eternal life 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Vinegar Tits said:

She had breast cancer back in 1993 but made a full recovery and was out touring within months.

Needless to say I'm devastated by the news. One of my favourite singers and the person who got me into French pop music in the first place, which since 1999 has changed my life so much for the better and made new friends because of it. 

I wonder if she'll be buried with Michel Berger - his family were never overly found of her and there was a hoohah when daughter Pauline died.

And no, I didn't put her on my list. Perhaps I should have done and so granted her eternal life 

You mean Michel Berger is still not buried? That's awful

Of course he's buried!  His family didn't approve of France Gall as they saw her as just a cheap entertainer, unlike his previous squeeze Veronique Sanson who was a proper musician and Serious Artiste and from a well-to-do family to boot. So when Pauline died there was a thing about whether she should be buried in the family plot. Something like that anyway, I'm going from memory here.

Madalena Iglesias, a Portuguese singer who represented Portugal at the 1966 Eurovision Song Contest, has died aged 78. Portugal was placed 8th out of 18 countries during that year.

• Sad 1

The UK picks its entry for this year TONIGHT.

*squee*

(soon to be followed by *that's gawdawful*).....

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

*squee*

It's being held in @time's neck of the woods; will he be attending?:D

1 minute ago, Cat O'Falk said:

Attending, how do we know he's not performing?

• Haha 4

32 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

*squee*

Heard Ken Bruce going through the six entries on the radio earlier and, lamentably, he neglected to say how turd each collection of noises was.

3 minutes ago, Cat O'Falk said:

I'm otherwise engaged.

2 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Attending, how do we know he's not performing?

No-one wants to hear me singing (I'm assuming that was the type of performance you were on about)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hmmm, this will be interesting.

Who will the great British public choose?

And who cares what Rylan has to say? "Karaoke singer criticises people who can sing" springs to mind....

Rylan is a fabric YW, stop taking the piss.

1 minute ago, charon said:

Dylan is a fabric YW, stop taking the piss.

Well, he is a total Spandex...

• Haha 1

UK goes Scandanavian anthemic generic.

Not quirky enough but possibly do better than last....

Next time...review the entries in full for 2018...until then...

On 5/4/2015 at 23:39, Guest Guest said:

Did anyone see the BBC1 Eurovision programme this weekend? Awful programme but it featured lots former winners including the very first winner Lys Assia who is now in her 90s. Most of the Brotherhood of Man and Johnny Logan were not looking great. In contrast, Germany's 1982 winner Nicole looks better now than she did then.

Lys Assia turns 94 today! :birthday:

• Like 2

Yes, it's that time of year again. The entries are in and it's time to put them all together and have a dance through them.

So, I've been through the first semi-final. If you were thinking of watching it, get espresso and uppers. It really is ballad city out there - and there's no point in blaming Portugal from last year, that was a really good song.

First of all, let me start with those who have let me down. Belarus have gone for special effects, but the song really is a bit duff. Estonia are normally favourites of mine, but Italian Opera? Such a switch from the folky rock that eases them high on a finals leaderboard. They've gone too niche I feel.

Let's move on to the "what the fuck was that?" song. Israel have some woman making clicking noises, followed by some chicken noises, a tiny bit of rap and a whole lot of crap. However, I do suggest you have a look at it, because the message is very now - female empowerment, don't mess with this girl. It's trending like a biatch, and I can only assume half like it and the other half are just laughing at it. A tad too gimmicky for me - but then remember the Russian grannies? Who knows?

I like Bulgaria's message - love beyond mere flesh and bones, as a ballad it might get through, but not a contender for top 5 imo. Ireland have their strongest song for years - but the song feels as though it only has half the story to tell of lost love. Might struggle. Best of the slower songs I feel is Belgium - it's a complete song and has real feeling.

My top three from this semi?

3. Austria - more a personal pick, again a ballad that gets stronger as it goes on, but it's a slow burn. Good soulful voice. Might not get through as it's early in the draw, but I like it.

2. Iceland - anthemic hymn type, with that message of love and unity, blah blah blah. A bit earnest, but should walk into the final no bother.

Top pick: Czech Republic - the only song I went back to more than once. Up to this point, it's ballad, ballad, ballad....then on comes this lad, with trumpets, a cleaned up rap (apparently the swearing has been taken out), a pop chorus. Very very Eurovision and yet very very not Eurovision. You know, the kind that finishes 5th or better in a final.

Anyway, just my personal view, and now off to watch the second semi entrants. Back soon.

• Thanks 1

Okayy....second semi finalists viewed. Much more diverse group of choons, but you can basically break them down into three or four categories.

1980s - yes, I felt I was being thrown back through time. Into this category fall

Russia - completely dull and uninspiring ballad I felt - more a poke at last year's exclusion. Dull, dull dull.

Australia - Kylie-esque pop. All that singing through the nose though...ugh. Will probably advance though.

Sweden - this is disco trash guff. Likable, but didn't mean anything.

Rock (N Roll) - more of these than I would have liked

Hungary - shouty. Just very very shouty. No.

Romania - Bonnie Tyler meets Kraftwerk via Guns N Roses. And slays them all stone dead. It's just too weird.

Netherlands - They've gone Country N Western soft rock again. Nothing European about it. He who pays homage to Trump's America right now is a fail.

Ethnic - regional frippery

Serbia - so regional you could probably name the street it was written on. Hated it.

Georgia - creditable harmonies and if you stick with it, it actually becomes quite listenable. But doesn't grab you straight away.

Moldova - it's the whole dancing, oompah poppy type of ethnic. The kind that gets Moldova into a final. It's ok.

Slovenia - rapping woman. This is odd. Strangely compelling. Go watch it. I don't know what to make of it.

Eurovision - basically the rest.

Norway have brought Alexander Rybak back. However, his poppy call and response song about how you write a song just doesn't have the charm of Fairytale. It'll do well though, he's Eurovish royalty.

Poland have quite a good song, but the performance I saw was weak - nervous singing. Do that in the semi and they are out.

My top three?

3. San Marino - two girls one sings, the other raps. Got a message and has dancing robots. What's not to like?

2. Denmark - oh my goodness. It was like something out of a film - song about the sea, I could almost taste the brine. Epic.

Top Pick: Latvia - essentially a show tune, girl sings of spurned love. Early in the show though....

Didn't really want to go back and watch any of them again.

Now for the Big Six.....

Big Six:

Germany: plaintive well performed song - great message. Is it just a little too derivative with the music though? It's like I've heard it before...but the best of the big boys imo....

France: Left me cold. I understand the cleverness, but just over smugged itself.

Italy: Very now about war, terrorism, and very understandable Italy would pop something up like this now. Has its time passed after Ukraine a couple of years ago? Liked it but not enough to vote for it.

Spain: Sweet love song performed by a duo. How do those pianos keep playing when they get up though? Only kidding. Almost too sugary, but nice.

United Kingdom: repetitive sing a long chorus and it really doesn't mean an awful lot. I've a bad feeling after seeing everything else that this is another fairly low ball.

Portugal: well, they've gone down the same route as last year. Throaty young thing with pink hair sings softly. Actually strong on its own but there's better in the competition.

And that's it. Depends how quirky and different Eurovish goes this year. Haven't decided where my tenners are going in the betting shop.....

Need to give them a listen this weekend.

Glad I was not alone with my love for Romania the last time. Portugal was a bit too fragile/whiny for me, still ok though.

Think Germany will again be on the podium from the bottom up (can you say that? I don't know.).

Ok, after a first round of incomplete listening, I prefer the Italian opera of Estonia (yeah, I liked the Opera scene in The Fifth Element, too) and the french song, except for the final 30 seconds of mercy-mercy-mercy....  if that had been any different, I would have had my choice for winner.

I don't understand why people apparently like the Danish song quite a bit. It seems that this is the one the guitar fans unite around. Though I think both the Dutch song and the Hungarian song are superior.

I have a suspicion there's going to be a little Sweden-backlash - it's just too much a generic-yet-contemporary-with a little mix of Justin Bieber-thing.

Portugal is lovely again.

Wonder how that song about "love when we're older" (edit: Lithuania) or something is going to do. I don't like my heartstrings pulled that much, but others will like it.

About Norway - I think the concept is totally messed up, artist and song don't fit together.

Poland, yes the song is good.

Honorable mentions:

Croatia, Slovenia (generic, yet exactly what plays at the gym), Finland (oh-so-typical ESC dance pop, but in that category the best this time), Israel (this time I'm not buying the gimmick-y song, but it'll do well)

The belgian song reminds me of Sheryl Crow's Bond theme...

• Like 1

Presented the Contest the year it was won by Abba. I just read, and certainly didn't know, that she went 'commando' that evening - almost makes me want to watch it again. 

I thought everyone of a certain age knew who Katie Boyle was but when I just mentioned her death to the old man (aged 47 and a quarter) he’s no idea who she is. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1