Vinegar Tits

Curse Of The Eurovision

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

I did mean last time Netherlands won, but good spot Biblio.

The Hague seems to be the place, but maybe discussions over there are looking for a modern venue? Sleepy Maastricht seems odd.

I presume they have had some state of the art venues open in the past 40 years so I imagine it will depend on what is available. I remember the contest being held in The Hague in 1980 because it was the first time I had heard of the place. Before that the only place I new in Holland was Amsterdam (from the song about the mice and windmills etc)

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

I did mean last time Netherlands won, but good spot Biblio.

The Hague seems to be the place, but maybe discussions over there are looking for a modern venue? Sleepy Maastricht seems odd.

I read some Dutch articles about this. The issue is the location, while Amsterdam has a lot of big concerthalls they are also very fully booked throughout the year (so they really need to cancel some stuff). Also there are concerns about Amsterdam because they are already trying to control the masstourism there.

Rotterdam is also being named because they have a big concerthalls for the occasion (which might also be scheduled full). But if they want it in a big city that isn't Amsterdam then Rotterdam seems like the best option.

Other places i heard being mentioned where Maastricht, Arnhem (with one of the biggest footbal stadiums), Zwolle and in lesser degrees The Hague (barely in the conversation at this point) and Utrecht.

The reason why Maastricht keeps floathing to the top is the amount of work they already put into it (they seem to already have a very detailed worked out-plan ready) and because they clearly are campaigning the hardest so far to get it their.

All proposals apparently need to be send to the AVROTROS (broadcasting organisation) who then decide.

• Like 1

The Ziggo Dome in Amsterdam would be the sensible place to hold this, no?

Might as well post here what some of the major newspapers are saying about the location. 

Just put it in your prefered online translate-program.

Volkskrant

Trouw

Parool

27 minutes ago, Deathray said:

The Ziggo Dome in Amsterdam would be the sensible place to hold this, no?

Amsterdam seems like the most logical option but there is also a lot of pushback towards it.

Like with Venice there have been a lot of complaints how masstourism (which increased since Amsterdam became world heritage) has made the city unlivable. So there are people who don't want to bring an event there which creates more masstourism.

Also the rest of the country oftenly has issues with everything being placed in Amsterdam. I assume it is a bit of capital-envy.

As for The Hague, while it is the 3rd largest city (and Seat of Government) it however doesn't have a University, which in turn prevents it from having a lot of students and therefor they don't really have a large concertveneu (as far as i know)

It could be Rotterdam or anywhere.

Phone call to Paul Heaton

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Little update on the location.

The Hague withdrew because they couldn't find a suitable location to held it.

So there is now a shortlist of Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Utrecht, Arnhem, Maastricht, Breda and Den Bosch. They have to send in a plan and in August the city is selected.

Edit: Breda is now out to, because the costs for the city where to high.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 29/06/2019 at 22:57, Vaagheid said:

Little update on the location.

The Hague withdrew because they couldn't find a suitable location to held it.

So there is now a shortlist of Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Utrecht, Arnhem, Maastricht, Breda and Den Bosch. They have to send in a plan and in August the city is selected.

Edit: Breda is now out to, because the costs for the city where to high.

Just read that Amsterdam officially withdrew now. link

Utrecht didn't officially withdrew but the majority of the city council rather uses that money on renovations of the old city wall. (Good for them).

So it is between Rotterdam, Arnhem, Den Bosch and Maastricht.

So it likely Will be Rotterdam.

Edited by Vaagheid
added link
  • Like 2

On 05/07/2019 at 16:59, Vaagheid said:

Just read that Amsterdam officially withdrew now. link

Utrecht didn't officially withdrew but the majority of the city council rather uses that money on renovations of the old city wall. (Good for them).

So it is between Rotterdam, Arnhem, Den Bosch and Maastricht.

So it likely Will be Rotterdam.

Two cities left but the broadcasting channel isn't saying which two. <_< link

• Like 1

On 12/07/2019 at 19:55, Vaagheid said:

Two cities left but the broadcasting channel isn't saying which two. <_< link

It appears its Rotterdam v Maastricht.

• Like 1

Jori Sivonen has died at 71. He composed "Titanic" that failed to become Finland's 1981 entry. It hit an iceberg in the national selection. Excellent song though

48 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Jay Aston of Bucks Fizz....

to stand for Brexit Party.

Jay, Eurovision =/= Europe no matter what the psychological scars. Still, you've made your mind up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, En Passant said:

Jay, Eurovision =/= Europe no matter what the psychological scars. Still, you've made your mind up.

Yeah, but she's living in the land of make believe...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TomTomTelekom said:

Breaking News: Czech pop star Karel Gott who has released twenty-six studio albums and has been voted Most Favorite Male Singer multiple times in the Czech Republic died at 80 years:

https://magazin.aktualne.cz/kultura/hudba/zemrel-karel-gott-legende-ceske-pop-music-bylo-80-let/r~aac1fd90dddc11e9858fac1f6b220ee8/

Karel Gott, unlucky 13th in the 1968 Contest with Tausend Fenster for Austria:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JiroemonKimura said:

Niels Olsen, half of the 2000 winning team Olsen brothers, has brain cancer.

LOL @ translator FAIL

"The first fame came to the brothers as the big boys with ungdomsbandet Kids, when they were just 15 and 11 years. "

Someone want to take a crack at that?

SC

(EDIT: I thought you found us all a late DDP addition, but "the doctors have given him between 2 and 4 years to live in, and that he currently receives treatment."  So Sir Creep's going to pass until 2021).