Vinegar Tits

Curse Of The Eurovision

Is this the right place to mention America is getting it's own version next year?

1 hour ago, ladyfiona said:

Is this the right place to mention America is getting it's own version next year?

I think possibly they would have had far more variety had they made it an Americas Song Contest - include Central and South America and Canada.

They could ensure the variety by picking certain contributors to make it to the Grand Final by some sort of league system. 

Otherwise sounds like it might be a choice of songs from a homogenous group of folk. Odd - how do you encapsulate the "sound" of Maryland as against the "sound" of Oregon? Europe's diversity almost instantly sells itself. 

4 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I think possibly they would have had far more variety had they made it an Americas Song Contest - include Central and South America and Canada.

They could ensure the variety by picking certain contributors to make it to the Grand Final by some sort of league system. 

Otherwise sounds like it might be a choice of songs from a homogenous group of folk. Odd - how do you encapsulate the "sound" of Maryland as against the "sound" of Oregon? Europe's diversity almost instantly sells itself. 

Yeah but that wouldn't be star spangled bannery enough. 

I'd imagine it'll far more be about the individual singers than the States, which could produce a few new more family friendly bubblegum pop stars like Olivia Rodrigo, which is what America's flagshaggers are desperate for with all the Cardi B and Lil Nas X and drill rappers outrage. 

This was discussed here a while back.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Maryland - Toni Braxton

Oregon - Dandy Warhols

?

Obviously some states are clearer than others - grunge for Washington, jazz for Louisiana, country Tennessee, some waffling about God for Alabama...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, msc said:

Maryland - Toni Braxton

Oregon - Dandy Warhols

?

Obviously some states are clearer than others - grunge for Washington, jazz for Louisiana, country Tennessee, some waffling about God for Alabama...

Why aren't you watching the first semi-final? :lol:

Staging has been on the whole - AWESOME! North Macedonia might have done enough, even with some cheap tricks, ha! Difficult to see who's not making it to the final so far...

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Why aren't you watching the first semi-final? :lol:

Staging has been on the whole - AWESOME! North Macedonia might have done enough, even with some cheap tricks, ha! Difficult to see who's not making it to the final so far...

I dont watch the Semis anymore because I get pissed off with what drops out.

That, and I forgot about it till now...

• Haha 1

I'll never understand it.

Croatia out? Ukraine through? Belgium's song about a stolen T-shirt in the final? 

I fear the mental health effect of the COVID is worse than we all imagined....:lol:

• Haha 1

Belgium's song would work better on a smaller stage. But the chamber pop quality was there. It was unique enough to get some votes.

I would have thought Croatia gets through, too, but then, the general dance pop market was quite crowded, and Cyprus got through instead.

After this performance, I think Malta must be a heavy favourite.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Your dads fuckbuddy said:

Is that so you see less black people? 

1452834059_fewergif.gif.babcd162a8ec4e7bc833827510bc15a4.gif

29 minutes ago, Your dads fuckbuddy said:

Go fuck yourself. If your fanny's not too loose for that these days. 

129975006_OoohMatron.jpg.63e9950bfff509c680b9b8198bb7fd21.jpg

• Haha 3

Phew. Second semi-final by far the weaker of the two. The results? No complaints. (Well, maybe Greece's entry is just that bit weaker, dare I say putting a teenager in something you'd meet on the Reeperbahn had some influence?)

10 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Phew. Second semi-final by far the weaker of the two. The results? No complaints. (Well, maybe Greece's entry is just that bit weaker, dare I say putting a teenager in something you'd meet on the Reeperbahn had some influence?)

Felt a bit sorry for Austria and yes Greece was the weakest of the qualifiers.

• Like 1

On 20/05/2021 at 22:11, YoungWillz said:

Phew. Second semi-final by far the weaker of the two. The results? No complaints. (Well, maybe Greece's entry is just that bit weaker, dare I say putting a teenager in something you'd meet on the Reeperbahn had some influence

It was good to see Finland go back to having a bit of fun and to be honest the song wasn't a bad one for it's genre - a bit too poppy but they admit to bring poppy do fair play - there recent entries have been a bit shit. It's also annoyinhly catchy. 

Often wonder whether the UK could take this thing more seriously - perhaps either sending an established name like Elton John (although his voice is a bit cack these days), Paul McCartney or if you want someone modern maybe send Years and Years, The 1975, Ed Sheeran, Rag N Bone Man or Adele. Whilst our entry this years is better than other recent years it's not good enough I'd like to see us send Bring Me The Horizon or someone like that but BBC aren't that brave. 

Also felt Flo Rida turning up for Sam Marino crossed some sort of unwritten rule, maybe we'll see a rule change there if they win. 

Also can't help but think we'd have had a much better chance if we'd sent John Newman instead of his brother. A far better singer. 

Winning comes with the vast expense of hosting the next one, so I don't think we've been trying for years, have we?

If UK really wanted to win we would have sent any of the following who have fans in Europe:

• One Direction/Harry Styles
  • Rag 'n' Bone Man
  • Ed Sheeran
  • Little Mix
  • Coldplay
  • Due Lipa
  • Adele

40 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

If UK really wanted to win we would have sent any of the following who have fans in Europe:

• Rag 'n' Bone Man
  • Ed Sheeran
  • Little Mix
  • Coldplay
  • Due Lipa
  • Adele

Its definitely not about the name/fame level. We’ve tried bigger names with the likes of Bonnie Tyler and this year we have James Newman who is a huge name right now. If the song doesn’t land, you’re not going to win. Really that simple but the UK keeps picking songs where the tempo is wrong and they’re too ballad-like as opposed to contemporary dance. This year’s song is closer to what it should sound like. Still a bit too pop, but I think the UK has a better chance this year compared to any recent years.

43 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

• Rag 'n' Bone Man
  • Ed Sheeran
  • Little Mix
  • Coldplay
  • Due Lipa
  • Adele

It's not just about us choosing to send someone decent, it's about someone decent wanting to take part. I'd be really interested to see how someone like Adele might do at Eurovision and I do feel that after 25 years without winning it, she'd be a national hero if she won, but I guess from her point of view, there's always the risk of finishing 20th on 40 points, losing out to some nobody from Latvia so why take the chance? But surely then we'd prove we have no chance whoever we send. The argument that western nations lose out to the political vote doesn't really stack up, though, when Austria, Portugal and the Netherlands have all won in the last decade.

17 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

The argument that western nations lose out to the political vote doesn't really stack up, though, when Austria, Portugal and the Netherlands have all won in the last decade.

No, it's only the UK that everyone else hates.  Even more so now.  Our aim should be to get nul points every year, it'd be more fun that way.