Vinegar Tits

Curse Of The Eurovision

Ok, ok so I'm very late to the party but what the hell? Personal opinions only, curtailed because I can't be bothered doing a full analysis.

First Semi-Final 

Surprisingly the better of the two.

Worst song: Croatia by a country mile.

Bubbling Under: Azerbaijan, Portugal, Norway.

Song of the night: Switzerland.

Second Semi-Final

Worst song: Plenty of contenders, I've gone for joint worst between Albania and Austria.

Bubbling Under: Slovenia, Cyprus.

Song of the night: Greece.

Big Six:

6th: Spain - full of eastern promise like a twenty year old box of Turkish Delight.

5th: Ukraine - the message is there, it's just very averagely executed.

4th: UK - bitchy little number - Nesta won with a similar cuntish song, so it might do well - I despised it.

3rd: Germany - dunno why i liked this. But I did. But then I heard a ton of shit before it. It's pretty good actually.

2nd: Italy - rips his heart out to a ballad. Didn't make me well up, but the whole thing moved me more than the others.

1st: France - bringing back the golden age of cinema, a little Piaf thrown in, she's gorgeous. I didn't like the usual French self-indulgence, but it's best of the Six.

This has to be the worst competition in years overall. 

In terms of stand out vocals, message and tunesmithing, Switzerland is my favourite. I had tears on my face. Silly old fool.

• Like 3

It's a year where Sweden have decided they want to win, they'll win.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Based on social media that i've been following. The top contenders:

• Norway
  • Finland
  • Sweden
  • Poland
  • Israel
  • Spain
  • UK

Edit - Loreen at the third dress rehearsal. She's killing it.

Meanwhile Finland has everyone singing:

21 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

Based on social media that i've been following. The top contenders:

• Norway
  • Finland
  • Sweden
  • Poland
  • Israel
  • Spain
  • UK

Norway - of course one of the better songs.

Finland - I don't get it - either it's a rap record or a choon - it's a game of two halves for me. Average.

Sweden - sounds like a mash up of Euphoria and Katy Perry's Firework to me. The time for these tiresome mangled dance records must surely be over. 

Poland - I seriously considered this. It's a bit "boingy boingy" but it's rather appealing.

Israel - so good I don't remember it at all. So I went back like a fool. She has the power of a unicorn. A mythical creature to which she attributes various traits. Bollox.

Spain - look, bringing back the Ottoman empire does this one no favours - it's wailing and appalling.

UK - had my say - people need to stop being cunts in music - revenge songs and all that were done to death in the 80s and 90s. The idea is old - let's have a more positive message.

There, in before the first semi.

I've never been so sure something horrendous is going to win, based on a special effect or a wild outfit rather than competent songwriting. It's a terrible contest with only about 8 really decent numbers. Imo.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Ok, ok so I'm very late to the party but what the hell? Personal opinions only, curtailed because I can't be bothered doing a full analysis.

3rd: Germany - dunno why i liked this. But I did. But then I heard a ton of shit before it. It's pretty good actually.

From the ones I heard yesterday, I quite liked this one, but that probably sums me up tbh.

Wont see Semi-final one tonight because some daft football team are playing at the same time, whoever they are...

• Like 2

The qualification of Croatia, Serbia and Czechia tells you all you need to know. Astonishing.

Azerbaijan had a very wobbly vocal performance, so disappointed for them, soon as they finished I was sure they were out.

Finland definitely have a show there. His vocals in the choon part were very poor after a strong start. He's going to do very well.

• Like 1

Actually the Polish people don't want their Poland entry to win because. The song chosen by the jury was not what people chose in popular vote and the jury vote was introduced VERY last minute. Rules even changed halfway through the show. Also the mother of Blanka's supposed "boyfriend" was the head of the jury.

• Shocked 1

Eurosong has a horrible audience so leaving only televotes in semi-finals means all the crappy entries will enter finals. But it doesn't matter anyway, there's like 98% chance that Loreen will win and somehow that had been known since before she got selected.

7 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Next year the 50th Anniversary of ABBA's win so fitting I suppose it'll be in Sweden

Yes, I suspect the jury voters thought so too :sherlock:

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Sweden just won the 2023 edition !

With the audience and social media all wanting Finland to win. They were literally chanting "Cha Cha Cha".

Also when will Germany ever get decent points?

9 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

With the audience and social media all wanting Finland to win. They were literally chanting "Cha Cha Cha".

Also when will Germany ever get decent points?

Finland won the public vote by over a hundred points but the lead the jury gave Sweden earlier in the week was too high to overcome. Bit dodgy when you're getting people to pay to vote imo.

• Like 2

image.png.eb1d47ea88b7764c98a35e93c3a9b950.png

Like to dislike ratio on Sweden's grand final performance on Youtube.

UK came second to last. Germany of course came last.

• Like 1

The jury vote is to prevent  the voting sequence being overwhelmed by the neighbourly and diaspora voting as it was from 2004-2008. (And the Eastern European diaspora has grown since then - Poland have become good at getting votes when during that era they were normally crap.) And if Edrogen loses in Turkey they could be back and they were the kings of the diaspora vote. 

• Like 1

FTR Germany deserved points galore this year IMO. I'd be pissed about Loreen winning were Euphoria not an absolute Eurovision classic; this year's effort was not scoreboard-topping for my money.

• Like 1

Didn't like the huge spread between jury and public vote. Rarely has the audience's preference for one song been as clear as here. Interesting. 

When having to choose (in music), I always go for the bolder choice. The audience mostly went with me this time - except for Spain, which, as I was fully aware, was a lot. 

I'm also a bit sad about Germany. I wonder why the result is the way it is. Was the song tone-deaf? Too robotic? Maybe Germany should sing in German next time.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Didn't like the huge spread between jury and public vote. Rarely has the audience's preference for one song been as clear as here. Interesting. 

When having to choose (in music), I always go for the bolder choice. The audience mostly went with me this time - except for Spain, which, as I was fully aware, was a lot. 

I'm also a bit sad about Germany. I wonder why the result is the way it is. Was the song tone-deaf? Too robotic? Maybe Germany should sing in German next time.

My wife muted the German entry while it was playing and when it only had 3 points after the jury votes she said.

Maybe they should be quiet and think about what they've done....

36 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

My wife muted the German entry while it was playing and when it only had 3 points after the jury votes she said.

Maybe they should be quiet and think about what they've done....

Interesting. For some reason, we cant seem to get it right.

• Like 1

Germany got 4th in 2018 but every year it’s been pretty dire for them. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Interesting. For some reason, we cant seem to get it right.

Two of the big five occupying the bottom two slots in the grand final.....

4 hours ago, gcreptile said:

The public vote was quite anti anything remotely rock this year. Most of them were voted out in the semis and Australia also suffered in the public vote. I thought the German song was a bit halfway (leant into your great heavy tradition but was a bit too safe doing so) but it was just the wrong year for it, apparently.

If Germany sets a piano on fire then they might be popular.

Well, I can only say thx God for the juries, they saved some good entries and prevented utter dogshit from winning because it got million points on televote. Of course, Eurovision pubic has always been known for it's refined taste. 

• Like 1