Vinegar Tits

Curse Of The Eurovision

Waste of our money.  I say dump it.

• Like 1

Cultural highlight of the year.

• Like 3

Eurovision is better than Christmas, no debating.

• Like 1

The yodeling Romanians did appropriately well. I hadn't known about the difference in the scoring system before though. I mean, obviously the song was much more popular with the people than with the juries. If the mix of these two votes had resulted in 1-12 points the romanian song would have done even better, I think. Possibly Moldawia, too!

Belgium did better than I intially expected. But I've heard comments on how her performance got better with each time. I was surprised at the love it received from the semi-finals live audience. You could also tell that Portugal would be winning after semi-finals. I'm also reading how the "deepest" song won, following that singer's commentary on disposable music and such. But honestly, the Italian song was much deeper. Portugal was just different, and cute, I guess.

26 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

The yodeling Romanians did appropriately well. I hadn't known about the difference in the scoring system before though. I mean, obviously the song was much more popular with the people than with the juries. If the mix of these two votes had resulted in 1-12 points the romanian song would have done even better, I think. Possibly Moldawia, too!

Belgium did better than I intially expected. But I've heard comments on how her performance got better with each time. I was surprised at the love it received from the semi-finals live audience. You could also tell that Portugal would be winning after semi-finals. I'm also reading how the "deepest" song won, following that singer's commentary on disposable music and such. But honestly, the Italian song was much deeper. Portugal was just different, and cute, I guess.

Being different is key to winning this contest, perhaps even more so than being "good". Sadly, I didn't understand anything of the Portuguese lyrics, but the singer's comments about disposable music striked me as arrogant. A lot of people watching this show just want to have fun. If I wanted to listen to "music with deepness", I'd watch a televised opera // classical concert on "Mezzo TV".

Portugal's song can be summed up thus - I had nothing before I loved you, you might have lost the ability to love, and if you can't then I shall love for the both of us.

Don't think he was being arrogant - more a plea for music to be an art form rather than formula written to sell music industry comment I feel.

Plenty of fun with Romania and Moldova represented. Italy's "Harambe Gambit" got them a decent place and will probably be the dance of the summer anyway.

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

This post encapsulates exactly why there is such a chasm between mainland Europe and the UK.

We take the piss and the Europeans dont.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

This post encapsulates exactly why there is such a chasm between mainland Europe and the UK.

We take the piss and the Europeans dont.

So basically mainland Europe has the wrong opinions.

3 minutes ago, The Mad Hatter said:

So basically mainland Europe has the wrong opinions.

So basically i told you a while back that I had no fucking interest whatsoever in interacting with you here and you STILL fucking quote me/respond to my posts.

Fuck off.

On 2017. 04. 26. at 05:28, YoungWillz said:

Spain - Summery pop song, the kind that's a one-hit wonder for its repetitive chorus. DL'ers should note he pronounces "Joost Do It For Your Lover" over and over, so should be adopted for 2017 as our theme song. Prediction - middle of the pack.

Glad you weren't right on this one. The Spanish song was atrociously bad and didn't deserve to be in the final, but at least the juries have rewarded its "ingenuity" with the 0 points it deserved.

Anyways, on an actual deadpool-related note, what do you guys think of Salvador Sobral's chances of becoming a hit in the next few years?

Deutsche Welle said:

For health reasons, he had missed part of the rehearsal schedule: Sobral, who is awaiting a heart transplant, cannot travel for more than two weeks' time without his medical team. 

http://www.dw.com/en/salvador-sobral-of-portugal-wins-2017-eurovision-song-contest/a-38831947

Normally, heart transplant recipients have a 5-10% death rate, which is not high enough for a "normal" DDP candidate, but he could at least fit into some theme teams and could be a lucrative gambit given his age.

Edited by GossipGabe
Link missing

The longest someone has lived with a heart transplant is 33 years, so if he and you are both still around by 2050, throw him on your list.

Also just to say, I'm honestly delighted with this year's Eurovision. I'll admit I was very pissed off that Finland, Estonia, Serbia and Macedonia didn't qualify, and Romania did, but c'est la vie. 

In terms of the final, I was very happy with the winner and with the top three, and also happy at how well Australia and Norway did. Israel deserved a lot more though, as did the UK. Sweden and Netherlands were dire and should've been a lot lower.

Sandra Reemer, who has represented the Netherlands in the Eurovision on three separate occasions (finishing 4th, 9th and twelfth), died of breast cancer (all sources are in Dutch so far so you will have to trust Wikipedia on this one)

Look above you. 

I know Chris Roberts' death was reported elsewhere, so I'll leave his 1985 appearance for Luxembourg in the competition here:

On 18/07/2017 at 15:55, YoungWillz said:

Wilfried Scheuz, who sang for Austria in the 1988 competition finishing last with "nul points", has died aged 67. http://www.eurovision-austria.com/der-oesterreichische-esc-teilnehmer-1988-wilfried-ist-tot/ (No link in English as yet).

Lisa Mona Lisa:

Ah, one of the better songs to get nul points. Then again, there's not much competition is there? Aven Romale and Celebrate were dire.

RIP. There aren't so many of the 50s singers left. Pearl and Teddy are still with us of course, and Lys Assia seems to be immortal, but the others are dropping off quite regularly now.

Margot Hielscher is to blame for gimmicks at Eurovision as she pretended to sing down a telephone for her performance of 'Telefon Telefon'.  So next time you despair at a spinning hamster wheel with a vampire inside it you know who to blame.

...or celebrate.

3 hours ago, bladan said:

Seija Simola, an once pretty Finnish female singer nationally popular 4 or 5 decades ago has  died at 72 SAD NEWS!

Link: https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fyle.fi%2Fuutiset%2F3-9808137&edit-text

18th at the 1978 Contest:

1978 was my first Eurovision. I have no recollection what I thought of the Finnish entry so I probably didn't think much of it. It's no Parlez-Vous Français, is it?

Still, sad news. RIP.

19 hours ago, Vinegar Tits said:

1978 was my first Eurovision. I have no recollection what I thought of the Finnish entry so I probably didn't think much of it. It's no Parlez-Vous Français, is it?

Still, sad news. RIP.

That song wasn't a success at all, her popularity crashed and never came back. Here she sings in French a song that was composed by Joseph Kosma who wrote  the classic 'Autumn leaves' too