Vinegar Tits

Curse Of The Eurovision

Let's be honest, the BBC (or whoever's in charge) doesn't want us to win because of the gargantuan expenses of hosting the next one.

Hasn't the Eurovision Song Contest become a parody of itself these days?

A parody of itself? Maybe that's a bit too strong. But nowadays, the winners would rarely embark on a huge international career in the music industry, like ABBA had done in the heyday of the contest.

And yeah, it's not a song contest in the strictest sense, the quality of the music might be of secondary importance, being "interesting" and "different" should be the key to a winning entry. You could list quite a few weird winners from the last decades, like transsexual Dana International in '98, hard rock/heavy metal band Lordi in 2006 and bearded lady Conchita Wurst last year.

Electro Velvet might get some points for its novelty value (strange genre: electric swing) and Bianca has an interesting background story with her cystic fibrosis, but I doubt that these will be enough for a podium. On a positive note, they can't do much worse than Jemini...

It's been at least 30 years since I last watched it, Probably around the time Bucks Fizz won.

All kinds of everything in it, I can't decide if the daftest song title that ever won it is ding-ding-a-dong or diggi-loo diggi-ley, I'm still having trouble making my mind up, its my personal waterloo, still whats another year?

• Like 4

Head on over to Youtube to hear the UK version mashed up with the Bird's Eye Potato Waffles jingle. Bird's Eye seem rather enamoured, but word on the street is Marvin Gaye's family are looking closely at both the jingle and the song in case of similarities to any of his back catalogue.

• Like 1

Lingering death of UK hopes announced.

Well I see it has already received some rave reviews in the British press.

Surveying all the incredible musical talent in this nation, an anonymous BBC committee have decided that our representatives at Europes premiere televisual musical contest should be a trumped up cabaret duo featuring the frontman for a Rolling Stones tribute act and a girl who failed the blind audition for the last series of the Voice performing an ersatz music hall jazz trifle written to order by a veteran professional jingle writer behind the theme tune for Jimll Fix It.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/eurovision/11457228/Eurovision-2015-Electro-Velvet-will-ensure-we-dont-win.html

But staying on topic, it's worth noting that the female part of the duo, Bianca (26) is living with cystic fibrosis, an incurable, hereditary disease that reduces lifespans by 20+ years with large variance. Some people with the condition may die in their twenties (albeit this is now rare), so she could make a weak but potentially lucrative DDP candidate (low likelihood of dying, but many points if she dies).

On a related note, the Finnish contestants are middle aged punk rockers "with learning disabilities". One of them looks as if he had a hereditary genetic defect. Of course, even IF... an obit in the UK would be in doubt. http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2015/feb/27/finnish-punk-band-take-punt-eurovision-title

Is there any Deathlist potential behind the sudden withdrawal of the winner of the German preliminary competition?

I was wondering about that, poor lad going from Voice of Germany 2013 to Ideas and Possibilities for 2016.

Immortality of sorts..

I had to think about him (in our context) as well. He is a bit of a weirdo compared to the clichés that usually win casting shows. He likes to cancel concerts if he feels his artistry compromised. There are rumours that he molested a female fan during a concert. He just canceled some other concerts but my interest in him is already waning. Apparently, he's been silent on social media for a couple of days, so maybe he's having a bit of a breakdown at the moment, but he does not have any fatal illness as far as we know.

Since the last post Andreas Kümmert has posted to Facebook basically giving a vague reason for dropping out of Eurovision as being he didn't know what he would achieve by participating. Mental health probably should be questioned though cynically I wonder whether it's simply a stunt to improve his public profile. Anyway, he has a very nasty beard so I'm quite pleased he's not representing Germany. The less beards the better (unless they're neat and tidy a la Conchita Wurst).

Incidentally, is the UK entry for 2015 relevant to this thread seeing as it will die a painful death? :puke:

Without thinking about it I can recall two worse entries and that doesn't even include Jemini. I think the quality of the song has very little to do with the UK's poor performance.

Do tell! :lol:

Let's be honest, the BBC (or whoever's in charge) doesn't want us to win because of the gargantuan expenses of hosting the next one.

Hasn't the Eurovision Song Contest become a parody of itself these days?

A parody of itself? Maybe that's a bit too strong. But nowadays, the winners would rarely embark on a huge international career in the music industry, like ABBA had done in the heyday of the contest.

Electro Velvet might get some points for its novelty value (strange genre: electric swing) and Bianca has an interesting background story with her cystic fibrosis, but I doubt that these will be enough for a podium. On a positive note, they can't do much worse than Jemini...

The Common Linnets haven't been doing too poorly at all after coming 2nd last year; platinum album in NL and Austria, gold in Germany, very respectable chart placings for the album and single in various parts of the globe. :birthday2:

Re: Jemini - yes, being ignored by 25 countries is bad enough, Electro Velvet being ignored by 26 countries this year is still a real possibility.

• Like 1

Surveying all the incredible musical talent in this nation, an anonymous BBC committee have decided that our representatives at Europes premiere televisual musical contest should be a trumped up cabaret duo featuring the frontman for a Rolling Stones tribute act and a girl who failed the blind audition for the last series of the Voice performing an ersatz music hall jazz trifle written to order by a veteran professional jingle writer behind the theme tune for Jimll Fix It.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/eurovision/11457228/Eurovision-2015-Electro-Velvet-will-ensure-we-dont-win.html

But staying on topic, it's worth noting that the female part of the duo, Bianca (26) is living with cystic fibrosis, an incurable, hereditary disease that reduces lifespans by 20+ years with large variance. Some people with the condition may die in their twenties (albeit this is now rare), so she could make a weak but potentially lucrative DDP candidate (low likelihood of dying, but many points if she dies).

On a related note, the Finnish contestants are middle aged punk rockers "with learning disabilities". One of them looks as if he had a hereditary genetic defect. Of course, even IF... an obit in the UK would be in doubt. http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2015/feb/27/finnish-punk-band-take-punt-eurovision-title

Is there any Deathlist potential behind the sudden withdrawal of the winner of the German preliminary competition?

I was wondering about that, poor lad going from Voice of Germany 2013 to Ideas and Possibilities for 2016.

Immortality of sorts..

I had to think about him (in our context) as well. He is a bit of a weirdo compared to the clichés that usually win casting shows. He likes to cancel concerts if he feels his artistry compromised. There are rumours that he molested a female fan during a concert. He just canceled some other concerts but my interest in him is already waning. Apparently, he's been silent on social media for a couple of days, so maybe he's having a bit of a breakdown at the moment, but he does not have any fatal illness as far as we know.

Since the last post Andreas Kümmert has posted to Facebook basically giving a vague reason for dropping out of Eurovision as being he didn't know what he would achieve by participating. Mental health probably should be questioned though cynically I wonder whether it's simply a stunt to improve his public profile. Anyway, he has a very nasty beard so I'm quite pleased he's not representing Germany. The less beards the better (unless they're neat and tidy a la Conchita Wurst).

Incidentally, is the UK entry for 2015 relevant to this thread seeing as it will die a painful death? :puke:

Without thinking about it I can recall two worse entries and that doesn't even include Jemini. I think the quality of the song has very little to do with the UK's poor performance.

Scooch - Flying the Flag (2007)

and the awful rap song about school days I can't even remember the artist. (Edit: I looked it up Teenage Life by Daz Sampson, at least it didn't seem to do his career any harm)

The UK has been left behind by Eurovision. The introduction of the semi-finals and the eastward expansion seems to conspire against us. It was pretty awful watching Bonnie Tyler and Englebert Humpandink be humiliated with single point finishes but the year Jemini got zero (yes they were awful) but we also invaded Iraq I do not think we were very popular in Europe as a whole and our current "If we don't get what we want we will take our ball away" attitude doesn't make us feel part of the fold.

Heyup, all the entries for this year's Eurovision are in. Given the discussion here and over at Foreign Personalities, I was wondering if there would be any interest in me opening up a Eurovision Pool over at Extra-Curricular? Still thinking about the rules, but the idea would be to pick one song from each semi final to go through and two from each semi final which are "Dead In The Water", i.e. which would fail to make the final. Then also, for entrants to pick the top 4 songs and the bottom 3 Dead In The Water songs for the final.

Admittedly this would involve some level of skill given you would have to think which songs are good enough to get to the final but be in the bottom 3.

I could develop a points scoring system and entries would be available until the start of the first semi. If I get say 10 or more members interested, I'd be up for overseeing this.

Peace.

• Like 1

Heyup, all the entries for this year's Eurovision are in. Given the discussion here and over at Foreign Personalities, I was wondering if there would be any interest in me opening up a Eurovision Pool over at Extra-Curricular? Still thinking about the rules, but the idea would be to pick one song from each semi final to go through and two from each semi final which are "Dead In The Water", i.e. which would fail to make the final. Then also, for entrants to pick the top 4 songs and the bottom 3 Dead In The Water songs for the final.

Admittedly this would involve some level of skill given you would have to think which songs are good enough to get to the final but be in the bottom 3.

I could develop a points scoring system and entries would be available until the start of the first semi. If I get say 10 or more members interested, I'd be up for overseeing this.

Peace.

Can't argue that there's not interest in Eurovision, but I'm not sure it's the right sort of interest for a pool.

Then again, who knows. Good luck.

• Like 1

Peace.

Can't argue that there's not interest in Eurovision, but I'm not sure it's the right sort of interest for a pool.

Then again, who knows. Good luck.

Fair dos. Thought it might be a good game to play post General Election, and it's such a long time until 31 December for results for the main pool games. I'm easy either way.

Immortality of sorts..

The UK has been left behind by Eurovision. The introduction of the semi-finals and the eastward expansion seems to conspire against us. It was pretty awful watching Bonnie Tyler and Englebert Humpandink be humiliated with single point finishes but the year Jemini got zero (yes they were awful) but we also invaded Iraq I do not think we were very popular in Europe as a whole and our current "If we don't get what we want we will take our ball away" attitude doesn't make us feel part of the fold.

We in Germany often thought the same. But then we won in 2010 even though southern Europe already had plenty of reason to hate us, so these excuses can't count anymore. But then I have no problem to admit that lots of our entries are simply bad. I liked your choice of Bonnie Tyler, and it was an ok song. But those "new" eastern european countries take the competition relatively seriously. They actually nominate some of their best artists and songs. And their audience is probably relatively young (and cosmopolitan), so their tastes go towards modern music. So Tyler wasn't a good fit, and Humperdinck (?) was just terrible. If Great Britain nominated some famous artists whose last hit isn't 10 years old (or a boyband whose last hit was 5 years old) they'd have good chances I guess (Adele?). But your good artists don't need this competition, they have enough success anyway.

snip

.But your good artists don't need this competition, they have enough success anyway.

Yeah this I'd imagine. Gain perhaps a little if you win, maybe lose a lot (or at least get somewhat mocked) if you come nowhere, which may well be due to political factors rather than your song/performance/talent. Why risk it?

Never thought much of the political argument as regards voting, though there is obviously history of acts doing their best against a backdrop of politics (go and watch Belle and the Devotions being roundly booed for Love Games at that particular final).

I am excited at how good the contest has been over the last few years and I still view it as a great outlet for acts and songwriters who don't really get a chance. Some of the allegedly "smaller" countries have excellent songs this year (look at Cyprus and San Marino, for example) and Italy have thrown the kitchen sink with a big act and a big song. The hosts Austria could make it back to back wins this year. Possibly more non contenders this year than in recent times though.

Guest Guest

Did anyone see the BBC1 Eurovision programme this weekend? Awful programme but it featured lots former winners including the very first winner Lyss Assia who is now in her 90s. Most of the Brotherhood of Man and Johnny Logan were not looking great. In contrast, Germany's 1982 winner Nicole looks better now than she did then.

Did anyone see the BBC1 Eurovision programme this weekend? Awful programme but it featured lots former winners including the very first winner Lyss Assia who is now in her 90s. Most of the Brotherhood of Man and Johnny Logan were not looking great. In contrast, Germany's 1982 winner Nicole looks better now than she did then.

I did. 1984 was a very special year for me, so I had happy tears when my boys sang the winning song from that year. *my sig explains*

Hey, don't forget to vote for a certain blue-and-yellow country tomorrow. Hint: Ukraine isn't participating this year... ;)

Hey, don't forget to vote for a certain blue-and-yellow country tomorrow. Hint: Ukraine isn't participating this year... ;)

My money's on as follows:

Italy to win.

Sweden and Russia will fill other two top three spots.

Estonia and Cyprus to finish top 10, as will Belgium.

UK will finish 20th.

I think my personal favorite is Latvia this year.

I usually do bad at predicting the winner, though I got it right last time (wasn't that hard I thought). I think Sweden is a little overhyped. So, maybe Estonia?

Germany and the UK will indeed finish around 20th place, next to each other.

• Like 1

Guest awesome guest

I think my personal favorite is Latvia this year.

I usually do bad at predicting the winner, though I got it right last time (wasn't that hard I thought). I think Sweden is a little overhyped. So, maybe Estonia?

Germany and the UK will indeed finish around 20th place, next to each other.

Latvia is defiantly the winner good song+ lots of neighbouring countries.

Guest Guest

My moneys on Georgia. She's hot

Guest awesome guest

My moneys on Georgia. She's hot

would you masterbate to a map of Georgia