Vinegar Tits

Curse Of The Eurovision

Perhaps we should look at Gilbert & Sullivan for some inspiration.

I have a little list

You don't have anything to worry about Holland came second last year by entering an original and not half bad song. (Interesting strategy)

Some clever dick worked it all out a few years ago. It's one of those "why didn't I think of that" ideas: enter experienced musicians and have them perform work or their own, without consulting the public in the choice. That last bit received some flak, which was silenced by the results.

regards,

Hein

• Like 1

Winner of 1966 Eurovision Udo Jürgens is dead at 80, heart failure!

http://www.gmx.net/m...rsagen-30292622

Ach, schade.

The good news is: if he gets a DDP approved obit, that'll be a data point on the question if Corry Brokken is a good new joker for my theme team.

regards,

Hein

English orbit: http://esctoday.com/...o-jurgens-died/

Really quite shocking. He is apparently going to appear on a big TV show soon (the Helene Fischer show for anyone who cares), he was active until the last day. But of course, heart failure is just like that. He was one of the few 'classic' german-speaking pop stars I liked. Certainly the biggest death in the german-speaking part of the world this year.

Ach, schade.

The good news is: if he gets a DDP approved obit, that'll be a data point on the question if Corry Brokken is a good new joker for my theme team.

regards,

Hein

Here is one from The Independent

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/udo-jrgens-pianist-and-singer-who-recorded-more-than-800-songs-and-ruled-the-world-of-germanspeaking-pop-9941025.html

And here's the BBC obit.

Sad news as he was so active; he only released an album recently and was touring. I thought he was one of those people that would go on forever. Probably Austria's biggest musical loss since Falco.

Book - why is Georg Uecker on your list? He isn't ill, is he? Sadly I'm a bit out of the loop of Lindenstrasse gossip.

Book - why is Georg Uecker on your list? He isn't ill, is he? Sadly I'm a bit out of the loop of Lindenstrasse gossip.

Well, look at him: It's said to be no cancer and no Aids but something with his lymph. But I will remove him off my list for 2015 because of the "gay rumors" that his is getting better.

VT, are you from Germany, Austria or Switzerland?

DSC_5584.jpg_700.jpg

http://www.tz.de/stars/ja-georg-uecker-krank-zr-494246.html

Ooh,I see what you mean. Looks rather skeletal, though seems to have slightly more hair than last time I saw him.

I'm British (though live closer to Calais than I do Ashford,never mind London!) but used to be able to get German TV on satellite and was an avid Lindenstrasse viewer. Uecker also used to appear on German Eurovision programmes a fair bit too.

I'm British (though live closer to Calais than I do Ashford,never mind London!) but used to be able to get German TV on satellite and was an avid Lindenstrasse viewer. Uecker also used to appear on German Eurovision programmes a fair bit too.

15 years ago (or 17?) there was a so called "Lindenstraßen-Festival" at the studio terrain in Cologne with a meet & greet and something like that. I can't remember if I saw Georg Uecker indeed, but I remember meeting some elder stars of the cast, e.g. Mutter Beimer und Else Kling :D

Back to Eurovision: Yes, Georg Uecker is an ESC-expert and can answer nearly every question, even the obscure ones!

Lynsey de Paul's funeral offers the usual opportunity of seeing celebrities with their guard down.

Look out for Henry Kelly though.

Re Henry Kelly, fond of a drink, right?

Might that be keeled over damage, and might such damage tip him our way in a few years?

And here's the BBC obit.

Sad news as he was so active; he only released an album recently and was touring. I thought he was one of those people that would go on forever. Probably Austria's biggest musical loss since Falco.

Poor timing a it also buggers up any chance of him appearing at Vienna 2015 though I'm betting €0,10 right now there will be a tribute. :salute: Incidentally, listening to Trijntje Oosterhuis and the Dutch entry for 2015 I can't see Magere Hein's lot doing as well as last year's brilliant entry - sorry.

Blast, just realised I forgot Katie Boyle on my DDP. :banghead:

Lingering death of UK hopes announced.

Well I see it has already received some rave reviews in the British press.

Surveying all the incredible musical talent in this nation, an anonymous BBC committee have decided that our representatives at Europes premiere televisual musical contest should be a trumped up cabaret duo featuring the frontman for a Rolling Stones tribute act and a girl who failed the blind audition for the last series of the Voice performing an ersatz music hall jazz trifle written to order by a veteran professional jingle writer behind the theme tune for Jimll Fix It.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/eurovision/11457228/Eurovision-2015-Electro-Velvet-will-ensure-we-dont-win.html

But staying on topic, it's worth noting that the female part of the duo, Bianca (26) is living with cystic fibrosis, an incurable, hereditary disease that reduces lifespans by 20+ years with large variance. Some people with the condition may die in their twenties (albeit this is now rare), so she could make a weak but potentially lucrative DDP candidate (low likelihood of dying, but many points if she dies).

On a related note, the Finnish contestants are middle aged punk rockers "with learning disabilities". One of them looks as if he had a hereditary genetic defect. Of course, even IF... an obit in the UK would be in doubt. http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2015/feb/27/finnish-punk-band-take-punt-eurovision-title

Edited by GossipGabe

Surveying all the incredible musical talent in this nation, an anonymous BBC committee have decided that our representatives at Europes premiere televisual musical contest should be a trumped up cabaret duo featuring the frontman for a Rolling Stones tribute act and a girl who failed the blind audition for the last series of the Voice performing an ersatz music hall jazz trifle written to order by a veteran professional jingle writer behind the theme tune for Jimll Fix It.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/eurovision/11457228/Eurovision-2015-Electro-Velvet-will-ensure-we-dont-win.html

But staying on topic, it's worth noting that the female part of the duo, Bianca (26) is living with cystic fibrosis, an incurable, hereditary disease that reduces lifespans by 20+ years with large variance. Some people with the condition may die in their twenties (albeit this is now rare), so she could make a weak but potentially lucrative DDP candidate (low likelihood of dying, but many points if she dies).

On a related note, the Finnish contestants are middle aged punk rockers "with learning disabilities". One of them looks as if he had a hereditary genetic defect. Of course, even IF... an obit in the UK would be in doubt. http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2015/feb/27/finnish-punk-band-take-punt-eurovision-title

Is there any Deathlist potential behind the sudden withdrawal of the winner of the German preliminary competition?

Is there any Deathlist potential behind the sudden withdrawal of the winner of the German preliminary competition?

I was wondering about that, poor lad going from Voice of Germany 2013 to Ideas and Possibilities for 2016.

I was wondering about that, poor lad going from Voice of Germany 2013 to Ideas and Possibilities for 2016.

Immortality of sorts..

Immortality of sorts..

I had to think about him (in our context) as well. He is a bit of a weirdo compared to the clichés that usually win casting shows. He likes to cancel concerts if he feels his artistry compromised. There are rumours that he molested a female fan during a concert. He just canceled some other concerts but my interest in him is already waning. Apparently, he's been silent on social media for a couple of days, so maybe he's having a bit of a breakdown at the moment, but he does not have any fatal illness as far as we know.

Immortality of sorts..

I had to think about him (in our context) as well. He is a bit of a weirdo compared to the clichés that usually win casting shows. He likes to cancel concerts if he feels his artistry compromised. There are rumours that he molested a female fan during a concert. He just canceled some other concerts but my interest in him is already waning. Apparently, he's been silent on social media for a couple of days, so maybe he's having a bit of a breakdown at the moment, but he does not have any fatal illness as far as we know.

Since the last post Andreas Kümmert has posted to Facebook basically giving a vague reason for dropping out of Eurovision as being he didn't know what he would achieve by participating. Mental health probably should be questioned though cynically I wonder whether it's simply a stunt to improve his public profile. Anyway, he has a very nasty beard so I'm quite pleased he's not representing Germany. The less beards the better (unless they're neat and tidy a la Conchita Wurst).

Incidentally, is the UK entry for 2015 relevant to this thread seeing as it will die a painful death? :puke:

• Like 1

Immortality of sorts..

Since the last post Andreas Kümmert has posted to Facebook basically giving a vague reason for dropping out of Eurovision as being he didn't know what he would achieve by participating. Mental health probably should be questioned though cynically I wonder whether it's simply a stunt to improve his public profile. Anyway, he has a very nasty beard so I'm quite pleased he's not representing Germany. The less beards the better (unless they're neat and tidy a la Conchita Wurst).

Incidentally, is the UK entry for 2015 relevant to this thread seeing as it will die a painful death? :puke:

Without thinking about it I can recall two worse entries and that doesn't even include Jemini. I think the quality of the song has very little to do with the UK's poor performance.

Let's be honest, the BBC (or whoever's in charge) doesn't want us to win because of the gargantuan expenses of hosting the next one.

Let's be honest, the BBC (or whoever's in charge) doesn't want us to win because of the gargantuan expenses of hosting the next one.

Hasn't the Eurovision Song Contest become a parody of itself these days?

A parody of itself? Maybe that's a bit too strong. But nowadays, the winners would rarely embark on a huge international career in the music industry, like ABBA had done in the heyday of the contest.

And yeah, it's not a song contest in the strictest sense, the quality of the music might be of secondary importance, being "interesting" and "different" should be the key to a winning entry. You could list quite a few weird winners from the last decades, like transsexual Dana International in '98, hard rock/heavy metal band Lordi in 2006 and bearded lady Conchita Wurst last year.

Electro Velvet might get some points for its novelty value (strange genre: electric swing) and Bianca has an interesting background story with her cystic fibrosis, but I doubt that these will be enough for a podium. On a positive note, they can't do much worse than Jemini...

Edited by GossipGabe

A parody of itself? Maybe that's a bit too strong. But nowadays, the winners would rarely embark on a huge international career in the music industry, like ABBA had done in the heyday of the contest.

And yeah, it's not a song contest in the strictest sense, the quality of the music might be of secondary importance, being "interesting" and "different" should be the key to a winning entry. You could list quite a few weird winners from the last decades, like transsexual Dana International in '98, hard rock/heavy metal band Lordi in 2006 and bearded lady Conchita Wurst last year.

Electro Velvet might get some points for its novelty value (strange genre: electric swing) and Bianca has an interesting background story with her cystic fibrosis, but I doubt that these will be enough for a podium. On a positive note, they can't do much worse than Jemini...

It's been at least 30 years since I last watched it, Probably around the time Bucks Fizz won.

• Like 1