JR976evil

Journalists

Former Associated Press foreign correspondent Sam Summerlin, who was the first to report the Korean War had ended and covered everything from Latin American revolutions to U.S. race riots during a long and distinguished career, has died. He was 89.  He died Monday at a care home in Carlsbad, California, from complications of Parkinson's disease.

SC

1986 Pulitzer Prize-winner Jimmy Breslin dead at 86. He was the journo most of the Son of Sam's letters were addressed to, and also had his head kicked in in 1970 by Jimmy "The Gent" Burke, a scene that for some reason didn't make it into Goodfellas.

June Southworth, Daily Mail columnist for almost 30 years, dead aged 77.

Where the hell is Gavin Esler going? Is he being booted because he's Scottish?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Where the hell is Gavin Esler going? Is he being booted because he's Scottish?

Apparently he wants to focus on some writing.He is near retirement age also at 64.I thought he was younger than that.

Yeah, I did a double take when I realised he was 64. Compare him to the actually younger Brian Taylor, Taylor would pass for being 20 years older.

Early retirements and/or redundancies due to budget cut, apparently. Carol Walker going too. 4 others unnamed going according to Digital Spy forums.

Rupert Cornwell, foreign correspondant for The Independent and half brother of David Cornwell (John le Carré), has died.

Edit: Here is a Guardian obituary.

Nikolaj Andrushtchenko (spelling???), Putin critic and founder of an independent russian newspaper dead after 6 weeks in a coma after a violent attack:

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/russland-putin-kritiker-stirbt-nach-pruegelattacke-a-1143971.html (link in german)

Here's an english link:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/russian-journalist-putin-critic-dies-10257629

Simon Ricketts update outside of his blog:

http://www.stalbansreview.co.uk/watford/15259782.Former_journalist_with_terminal_cancer_lends_support_to_awareness_week/

Still looks ok, but basically says he is fucked. A big candidate for a crucial December hit, which we might be having a couple of, this year.

BBC journalist Jonathan Ali has been off work for a year because of cancer of the soft tissue:

https://www.prolificnorth.co.uk/2017/05/bbc-journalist-reports-live-from-fire-at-hospital-where-he-is-being-treated-for-cancer/

However, the treatment is almost over and apparently he's doing better. Might only be a local obit, anyway.

Simon Ricketts just posted on Twitter "I sleep now. You carry on. You're all doing vey (sic!) well."

- which leads some commentators to believe the worst.

https://twitter.com/simonnricketts?lang=de

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Simon Ricketts just posted on Twitter "I sleep now. You carry on. You're all doing vey (sic!) well."

- which leads some commentators to believe the worst.

https://twitter.com/simonnricketts?lang=de

Seems like just a very over-the-top way of saying goodnight.

If I recall correctly*, news from a couple weeks ago was that his cancer isn't spreading or something of the sort.

Of course, it's more juicy to believe that @Joey Russ cursed him with that discussion about Golden Slumbers in the Stefan Karl thread. :P

*I prolly don't 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, RadGuy said:

Seems like just a very over-the-top way of saying goodnight.

If I recall correctly*, news from a couple weeks ago was that his cancer isn't spreading or something of the sort.

Of course, it's more juicy to believe that @Joey Russ cursed him with that discussion about Golden Slumbers in the Stefan Karl thread. :P

*I prolly don't 

True, a couple of days ago he also tweeted that he was excited to register to vote today. So unless there's early voting (no idea about that!) and he wants to vote from beyond the grave, it's probably not that bad.

The tweet was right after "agreeing to a boozy lunch" so yeah, probs just dramatic flair rather than anything more deadpooling relevant.

• Like 1

Jill Singer, a journalist for the Herald Sun, has passed away aged 60. More importantly, she's a hit for a couple of people in the Windy City Dead Pool and a potential hit for me in the Elizabethan Dead Pool. 

I added her to my Windy team because there wasn't a chance in hell of her making 2018.

Schoolboy error not to consider her for the Midsummer - did anyone?

The Guardian live ticker just retweeted Simon Ricketts and described him as "our own Simon Ricketts". So at least the obit is guaranteed.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

The Guardian live ticker just retweeted Simon Ricketts and described him as "our own Simon Ricketts". So at least the obit is guaranteed.

Saw that.Promising.

A bit like this year's Caroline Aherne where she took so many years you thought she'd never go.